Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 10:09 AM)
I havent heard anything legit surrounding trade talks for him.

However that may change with that fireballer from Boston. That guy has future closer written all over him.

Why would he matter? I think Webb could end up being a better closer than Reed actually.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 10:09 AM)
I havent heard anything legit surrounding trade talks for him.

However that may change with that fireballer from Boston. That guy has future closer written all over him.

so highly unlikely reed goes anywhere today.. what are the chances you think we move someone within the next 5 hours and if so who is the most likely

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 06:53 AM)
This was a hell of a deal for us. Peavy is an injury prone expensive starter and we got high upside prospects and our RF'er for next year moving forward. We also did this without paying a dime of Peavy's salary.

Well done, so well done.

I appreciate your insight, Rock...but let's not start bagging on Peavy because he's been moved. His contract was widely considered to be fair at worst, and a bargain at best. He had a nice year last year and was having a very nice year this year until the rib injury. Yes, he's had his injury problems, but has bounced back well from all of them. Fangraphs had him as a $20 million pitcher last year, and he's on his way to being a $12-15 million pitcher this year. His era is inflated from a couple of starts he made while pitching with a broken rib, which has led people to claim he is "league average." He's not a league average starter right now, he's a solid 2 or a 3 on a contending team. Acquiring that in the midst of a playoff race is difficult, even more so now with the second wild card.

I think we did ok. Getting Garcia was a nice get, but at the same time, the commodity we moved was a nice get with a reasonable contract.

I admire Hahn for really being creative and finding a way to get a high-upside player that isn't still in A-ball.

Hopefully this deal comes back to haunt the Tigers down the road, but we'll have to wait and see.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 10:14 AM)
Miggy lost his buddy. Check out his reaction to Avisail's first career HR.

Garcia_homer_5-15-13.gif

happy_miggy.gif

Obviously, this will lead to Miguel Cabrera demanding a trade to the White Sox where Miguel and Avisail can pal around like Elvis and Adrian

Does the comparison really have to be 'Miguel Cabrera' or bust? We aren't going to turn Jake Peavy into the best hitter in the game without an incredible amount of luck. If he turns into a borderline all-star I'll be thrilled. It will mean we finally have a starter we don't need to replace, because honestly, I don't look at any of our position players right now and say 'don't need an upgrade there!'

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 10:20 AM)
Does the comparison really have to be 'Miguel Cabrera' or bust? We aren't going to turn Jake Peavy into the best hitter in the game without an incredible amount of luck. If he turns into a borderline all-star I'll be thrilled. It will mean we finally have a starter we don't need to replace, because honestly, I don't look at any of our position players right now and say 'don't need an upgrade there!'

No, of course not. I think a more natural comparison would be to someone like Alex Rios, but I think Garcia shows a little more passion for the game. The Miguel Cabrera thing comes out because of the analysts who made the comparison the second he was brought up.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 10:23 AM)
No, of course not. I think a more natural comparison would be to someone like Alex Rios, but I think Garcia shows a little more passion for the game. The Miguel Cabrera thing comes out because of the analysts who made the comparison the second he was brought up.

When I read about Garcia, the first guy I thought about was Rios.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 10:31 AM)
When I read about Garcia, the first guy I thought about was Rios.

Actually, this is exactly what I think about, too.

No one compares future hitting ability between Garcia and Miggy, just looks and size.

Garcia will wind up being a Rios-type, which is a-ok by me.

It's hard to not be excited about the potential of Garcia, is the most complete young player the Sox have had in a long time. Remember, he is just recently turned 22 and already has success in the majors, in the playoffs, and is dominating Triple-A. To give you some perspective on that, Garcia is younger than Trayce Thompson, Micah Johnson (who is in A ball still), and Erik Johnson. He is crazy young and still developing. Some scouts project him as a 30 plus homer guy, 20-30 steals, and playing gold glove RF. Also the fact that we may of taken away that kind of production from a division rival is unbelievable and frankly it might of tipped the scales for Hahn away from going with a package from Arizona. Also we ate zero cash in this deal, by dumping Peavy's contract of 20 million, we hopefully freed up cash to send with Rios/Ramirez today, or be more active in free agency this winter.

Now the negatives, Garcia is a free swinger and doesn't have a great walk rate. He swings and missed a lot, his K percentage isn't alarming, but his plate discipline has to improve a lot for him to be an elite hitter. Also, currently he is very strong and fit, but anytime you have a OF weighing 240 there are concerns about how that body will age. And the Tigers are very familiar with him, it's interesting that they would freely give up him to a division rival. Aside from nitpicking Garcia, I am disappointed we couldn't find another solid prospect to pair with him. The prospects from Boston are underwhelming to say the least. This deal is basically Garcia or bust, unless Montas really develops, which is unlikely. I wonder if there was a Skaggs/Owens or Owens/Davidson deal to be had in AZ, or a Martinez/Wong deal in St. Louis. We will never know, but I hope we didn't settle on this package because Boston would absorb all of the cash. If Garcia develops into the monster that many scouts think he can, this trade will be an absolutely steal, however, if he turns out to be more of a Viciedo type of player, this was basically a glorified salary dump when we were holding all the chips in a seller's market.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 10:32 AM)
Actually, this is exactly what I think about, too.

No one compares future hitting ability between Garcia and Miggy, just looks and size.

Garcia will wind up being a Rios-type, which is a-ok by me.

And six cost controlled years at that.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 10:15 AM)
I appreciate your insight, Rock...but let's not start bagging on Peavy because he's been moved. His contract was widely considered to be fair at worst, and a bargain at best. He had a nice year last year and was having a very nice year this year until the rib injury. Yes, he's had his injury problems, but has bounced back well from all of them. Fangraphs had him as a $20 million pitcher last year, and he's on his way to being a $12-15 million pitcher this year. His era is inflated from a couple of starts he made while pitching with a broken rib, which has led people to claim he is "league average." He's not a league average starter right now, he's a solid 2 or a 3 on a contending team. Acquiring that in the midst of a playoff race is difficult, even more so now with the second wild card.

I think we did ok. Getting Garcia was a nice get, but at the same time, the commodity we moved was a nice get with a reasonable contract.

I admire Hahn for really being creative and finding a way to get a high-upside player that isn't still in A-ball.

Hopefully this deal comes back to haunt the Tigers down the road, but we'll have to wait and see.

I'm not trying to bag on him, its just he has no value for a team like the White Sox, zero. And we took that and added a piece that has tremendous value while shedding payroll.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 10:52 AM)
I think some of you guys might be undervaluing the SS, Rondon. From what I've read, he's an elite defender. If that's the case, he doesn't need to hit a ton to play MLB baseball.

Eh, that would be like getting overly excited about a guy that has played 39 games at Kannapolis. He could be ok, but let's see where he is a year from now.

The three Boston guys are all lottery tickets. Some upside, but nobody will be surprised if they don't even get to AAA someday.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 10:57 AM)
Eh, that would be like getting overly excited about a guy that has played 39 games at Kannapolis. He could be ok, but let's see where he is a year from now.

The three Boston guys are all lottery tickets. Some upside, but nobody will be surprised if they don't even get to AAA someday.

I get that.He's a nice bonus in the deal though.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 10:51 AM)
Man, the experts really have differing opinions on Garcia.

I just hope the plate discipline improves. If that happens, he's got star potential.

Heres a quick and informative writeup on what the sox got back: (Yahoo Sports)

To more fully evaluate the returns and costs for each team, we'll take a look at each team individually:

Chicago White Sox

Players Lost: RHP Jake Peavy

Players Received: OF Avisail Garcia, SS Cleulius Rondon, RHP Francelis Montas, RHP Jeffery Wendelken

It comes as no great surprise that the White Sox sought to turn Peavy into minor-leaguers that, with different expected arrival times, can inject the big-league club with new life. The big get for the pale hose is Avisail Garcia. He is big at 6-4, 240 pounds but is also an excellent athlete. Garcia is far from a plodder on the bases and is considered a potential 20 steals, 20 home runs player. He has a strong arm and fields well in right field, and has even seen time in center.

Shooting from High-A to the majors in 2012, Garcia batted .319 over 23 games late in the season for Detroit. In the ALCS against New York, he was 5-for-11 with 3 RBIs and a stolen base. White Sox general manager Rick Hahn referred to Garcia as a "five-tool player" when discussing the trade, which is not far from the truth. Baseball America rated Garcia the #74 prospect in baseball entering this season; the White Sox had just one player, Courtney Hawkins, rated higher and will likely have none that high entering next season, barring any trades (Garcia now has too many MLB at-bats to qualify as a prospect).

Garcia dealt with a minor injury and a slow start with Detroit and has since been posting gaudy numbers in Triple-A: a .382 batting average to go with 5 homers and 23 RBIs over 32 games. Hahn says Garcia will be assigned to Triple-A Charlotte, but he does not seem destined to spend much time there before being ready to play in the majors once again.

The rest of the acquisitions are much further from the big leagues and will carry more risk. Rondon is a 19-year-old shortstop that has played in just 36 games in this season and figures to play his first full season next year. With short season Lowell, he has posted a .277 batting average and .328 on-base percentage.

Rondon is known to be an excellent defender whose bat has much upside, but he needs just as much development. His ceiling is very high, but his bust potential is also significant.

Francellis Montas is another high-upside, high-risk player. Hitting 100 mph with ease, Montas possesses the raw talent to be a front-line big-leaguer. However, that talent is very unrefined. The 20-year-old has battled his control throughout his brief minor-league career and is just beginning to sharpen his offspeed offerings. While his ERA (5.70) is Low-A Greenville has not been impressive, his walks have been manageable and his strikeouts have remained high. In the worst case, he figures to be a player that can transition very successfully into a relief role.

Jeffery J.B. Wendelken is another talented righty, though his risk is relatively low given his status as reliever and good production thus far in his career. While he does not boast a fastball like Montas, he is experienced in a relief role and has racked up 10 saves over 64 relief innings in Low-A Greenville. He should have a good chance to move up through the minor leagues given his talent and production.

Overall, the White Sox have done well. Avisail Garcia is by far the most intriguing and valuable prospect that has been moved thus far in deadline deals. While he is not perfect, he has a real chance to quickly step into the struggling White Sox offense and become a staple in the middle of their order. The White Sox also increased their return by taking a chance on very young, very talented players in the low minors.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 10:53 AM)
I'm not trying to bag on him, its just he has no value for a team like the White Sox, zero. And we took that and added a piece that has tremendous value while shedding payroll.

The only thing that bothers me is the Red Sox didn't give up much. Iglesias has two replacements ready to step in. I would have liked to see a Ranaudo-level prospect included. As it stands now it was Iglesias for Peavy straight up.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 04:04 PM)
The only thing that bothers me is the Red Sox didn't give up much. Iglesias has two replacements ready to step in. I would have liked to see a Ranaudo-level prospect included. As it stands now it was Iglesias for Peavy straight up.

Who cares? They also took on $20 million in payroll for next year and a half. That's why they gave up less.

Edit: by who cares, I mean, we can only judge this by the package we receive. Because of the process we went through, I'm confident this is the best package we could have gotten while also unloading all the salary.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 11:09 AM)
Who cares? They also took on $20 million in payroll for next year and a half. That's why they gave up less.

Edit: by who cares, I mean, we can only judge this by the package we receive. Because of the process we went through, I'm confident this is the best package we could have gotten while also unloading all the salary.

+1 Boom

I think that when trading for prospects, people overvalue quality instead of quantity.

You can have one prospect who is a 75% chance to be an impact player in the majors.

If you get four prospects who have 50%, 30%, 20%, and 10% chances to be impact players in the majors, there's also a 75% chance that at least one of them will be, plus the 15% or so chance that more than one of them will be.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 05:04 PM)

Yep. Hard for someone to disagree with the this. The Tigers or Sox needed to push for more since the Red Sox got away with a straight fleecing.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 11:17 AM)
Yep. Hard for someone to disagree with the this. The Tigers or Sox needed to push for more since the Red Sox got away with a straight fleecing.

I think the Sox got fair value, the Tigers didn't. But when you are in win-now mode, value isn't always of utmost importance.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 12:17 PM)

Hahn isn't business to help out Boston. If there were better packages out there, we would've taken them. I doubt anyone would prefer a Michael Choice or David Holmberg centered package.