Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 12:13 PM)
If you are worried about a team giving up more value than they receive, it's Detroit you worry about. I'd say the Sox did fine in that regard.

Ya, Boston is the clear winner in this deal bit who the hell cares?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:45 AM)
Dayan, Avisail, De Aza, Beckham, Gillaspie, Phegley - That's not a bad young core to start building around. Get one or two of Semien, Wilkins, Sanchez, Trayce Thompson, Brandon Jacobs and you're doing pretty good. Hopefully Dayan and Avisail really figure it out, because they both have some insane upside as 3-4-5 bats

Gillaspie shouldn't be starting on this team after this year. He's not very good.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 12:19 PM)
Gillaspie shouldn't be starting on this team after this year. He's not very good.

Of course he should be on the team. And, for now, he should be the starting 3B. The emergence of just about anyone as a 3B prospect would certainly relegate him to a bench role. There's no reason for him to not be on the team.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 12:51 PM)
Baseball America made the perfect comparison for Iglesias - Rey Ordonez. Rey was a f***ing amazing fielder, but just an abysmal hitter with no silver lining at the plate. While he has some of the best UZR numbers I've ever seen, he only exceeded 1.1 WAR once in his career.

Ozzie Guillen

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 12:21 PM)
Of course he should be on the team. And, for now, he should be the starting 3B. The emergence of just about anyone as a 3B prospect would certainly relegate him to a bench role. There's no reason for him to not be on the team.

I never said he shouldn't be on the team and he should absolutely be starting for the rest of this season. The guy isn't a starting caliber player though and after this year should not be the starting 3b on this team.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 11:53 AM)
This is the kind of analysis you see most and it makes no mention of $20,000,0000.00 .

Because that is the market value for a #2 pitcher for a year and a half of playing time. Peavy's contract is a value if anything.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 12:56 PM)
Hate to say it but I told you all Boston wouldn't give up the spects. I mentioned 2 names they were willing to give up , Iglesias and Middlebrooks and they gave up Iglesias.

Middlebrooks doesn't have that much value. I'm much happier with Garcia than Middlebrooks.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 05:47 PM)
I still think they made a good deal. It's not like we were trading Cliff Lee. It's Jake Peavy.

Yeah, it was a solid deal that hopefully the team uses the 20 million to improve the team's future.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 11:44 AM)
Because that is the market value for a #2 pitcher for a year and a half of playing time. Peavy's contract is a value if anything.

With the key caveat being when/if healthy...

There are no guarantees as his career after the Cy Young award win in 2007 shows.

The AL East is probably the toughest division in baseball...and Jake wasn't exactly lights out against the Tigers in head-to-head competition last year, either.

It was a "fairer" contract to the White Sox than the previous one ended up being, we can all agree on that much.

Here is my problem with a deal. It reminds me when we traded Sergio Santos for Nestor Molina. People were split 50/50 on weather Molina could actually become a starter. I thought having the best asset at the trading deadline would bring us back a close to sure thing. Obviously, prospects are never a sure thing, but something we could say "Hey, if he is not a super star, he will at least be somebody we can plug in everyday".

I read in Dan Schoenfield's assestment of the deal is scouts love him but saber metrics people hate him. Could we at least have one player in our system that saber metrics doesn't hate. We have all these guys with loads of talent who don't walk and strikeout a ton. That is the exact problem with out current roster. Nobody can every get on base.

But, I would give the White Sox some benefit if they actually have shown they could draft in the past. The problem is that they had one of the worst farm systems in baseball for quite sometime. I have no faith in the Sox scouting ability. If they were at least decent at picking out potential prospects, I would be able to hang my hate on something.

Finally, I just wonder what the Sox would have gotten if Good Ol' JR would have some for thought and ate some cash. I am not saying a ton. A few million dollars. Hell, Don't spend it this offseason. But, at least let this team be able to build.

I will root for Garcia. Who knows, he could turn into Miguel Cabrera. Right now, from the outside looking in, it just seems we got another Viciedo.

QUOTE (kwill @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 01:09 PM)
Here is my problem with a deal. It reminds me when we traded Sergio Santos for Nestor Molina. People were split 50/50 on weather Molina could actually become a starter. I thought having the best asset at the trading deadline would bring us back a close to sure thing. Obviously, prospects are never a sure thing, but something we could say "Hey, if he is not a super star, he will at least be somebody we can plug in everyday".

I read in Dan Schoenfield's assestment of the deal is scouts love him but saber metrics people hate him. Could we at least have one player in our system that saber metrics doesn't hate. We have all these guys with loads of talent who don't walk and strikeout a ton. That is the exact problem with out current roster. Nobody can every get on base.

But, I would give the White Sox some benefit if they actually have shown they could draft in the past. The problem is that they had one of the worst farm systems in baseball for quite sometime. I have no faith in the Sox scouting ability. If they were at least decent at picking out potential prospects, I would be able to hang my hate on something.

Finally, I just wonder what the Sox would have gotten if Good Ol' JR would have some for thought and ate some cash. I am not saying a ton. A few million dollars. Hell, Don't spend it this offseason. But, at least let this team be able to build.

I will root for Garcia. Who knows, he could turn into Miguel Cabrera. Right now, from the outside looking in, it just seems we got another Viciedo.

I saw all the pics and everything...but MLB just put side by side video of Garcia and Miggy...damn. Identical stance, swing, etc...and Reynolds went on to slobber on him and talk about him learning from the best in Miggy and taking that with him.

Edited by Wanne

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 01:13 PM)
I say all the pics and everything...but MLB just put side by side video of Garcia and Miggy...damn. Identical stance, swing, etc...and Reynolds went on to slobber on him and talk about him learning from the best in Miggy and taking that with him.

That was crazy, they looked so alike.

QUOTE (kwill @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 02:09 PM)

You know what's a huge difference between this and the Santos for Molina trade? We gave away the major leaguer in both deals, we got a prospect back with talent in both deals...but in this one, we did the right thing and got a number of additional talented pieces. A slick fielding short stop and a couple minor league pitchers, including one who can touch 100. We didn't do that in the Molina deal.

Garcia absolutely has bust potential and probably strikes out too much. It'll be interesting to see whether he can adapt his power to the big leagues, he certainly has it in him to be a major contributor. He's incredibly young for the bigs at 22 and he's tearing up AAA at that age. But if he busts, we're sitting on the equivalent of 3 extra draft picks. Maybe one of those pitchers winds up closing for us in 3 years, maybe one of them winds up starting, maybe we have a slick fielding SS in a couple years who knows, but I'm glad we got the exdtra guys.