Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 11:22 AM)
Article on Bleacher Report grading all the deadline trades was just posted, and the final grades for the Peavy trade is in according to them....

Boston Red Sox: A

Detroit Tigers: A+

Chicago White Sox: C

I'll be laughing even harder when the tigers lose again in the world series, this time to the Dodgers.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 01:22 PM)
Article on Bleacher Report grading all the deadline trades was just posted, and the final grades for the Peavy trade is in according to them....

Boston Red Sox: A

Detroit Tigers: A+

Chicago White Sox: C

I stopped reading at Bleacher Report

From Keith Law..

"What you think of the White Sox' return for Peavy depends largely on what you think of Garcia. I've long held that he's an extra outfielder, or below-average regular, a player with some tools but very little baseball skill or instincts, especially at the plate where he appears to have no plan at all."

Surprise suprise! He hates a player the White Sox love! In other news, the sun rose in the East this morning

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 01:46 PM)
From Keith Law..

"What you think of the White Sox' return for Peavy depends largely on what you think of Garcia. I've long held that he's an extra outfielder, or below-average regular, a player with some tools but very little baseball skill or instincts, especially at the plate where he appears to have no plan at all."

Surprise suprise! He hates a player the White Sox love! In other news, the sun rose in the East this morning

How does he 'long hold' anything for a guy who just turned 22? That makes him sound like some finished product

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 01:46 PM)
From Keith Law..

Kieth Law is a Dick Head!!! We could have gotten Mike Trout in a trade and he would find a negative spin on it. I try not to read anything he writes, or anything ESPN writes. Excited to see what Fox One brings to the table, hopefully more balanced sports news. Can't wait to see Urlacher as an analyst.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 01:48 PM)
How does he 'long hold' anything for a guy who just turned 22? That makes him sound like some finished product

He did go on to say...

"In Garcia's defense, he's just 22 years old and did not belong in the big leagues this year, so he at least has the time to develop an approach at the plate. The White Sox likely view him as a potential middle-of-the-order bat, which would more than justify the trade for Peavy, although I'm less sanguine because of Garcia's lack of adjustments."

I support this notion, why rush him to the majors this year when we have nothing to play for? He's got a lot to work on in Triple-A and he's still extremely young.

He did go on to say...

"In Garcia's defense, he's just 22 years old and did not belong in the big leagues this year, so he at least has the time to develop an approach at the plate. The White Sox likely view him as a potential middle-of-the-order bat, which would more than justify the trade for Peavy, although I'm less sanguine because of Garcia's lack of adjustments."

I support this notion, why rush him to the majors this year when we have nothing to play for? He's got a lot to work on in Triple-A and he's still extremely young.

I agree with keeping him in AAA until September, especially since he's already had an option used on him this year.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 12:44 PM)
Because that is the market value for a #2 pitcher for a year and a half of playing time. Peavy's contract is a value if anything.

Peavy is NOT a #2 pitcher

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:44 AM)
Because no one in their right mind considers Peavy's contract a bad one. And they took it on by giving up a guy with a career .622 OPS...in the minors and nothing else of value. Really great deal for them. It's going to very tough for someone to top what they did.

If it was really as good as you hyberbolized more teams would have been willing to take it on and that was not the case. Everyone else wanted Sox to pay part of it. Lots of contenders this year not exactly with the highest payrolls and they valued that more than Peavy's salary and the prospects they would have to give up get him. Surprising number of teams willing to stand pat even valuing their prospects over winning now.

So it seems when everyone was saying it's a sellers market and I was saying it's a buyers market, the buyers are winning atm.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside