Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 07:27 PM)
If it was really as good as you hyberbolized more teams would have been willing to take it on and that was not the case. Everyone else wanted Sox to pay part of it. Lots of contenders this year not exactly with the highest payrolls and they valued that more than Peavy's salary and the prospects they would have to give up get him. Surprising number of teams willing to stand pat even valuing their prospects over winning now.

So it seems when everyone was saying it's a sellers market and I was saying it's a buyers market, the buyers are winning atm.

How is that hyperbole? I've never ever heard someone say his contract is bad. Maybe they don't have the money for it now but that still doesn't make it a bad contract.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 02:34 PM)
How is that hyperbole? I've never ever heard someone say his contract is bad. Maybe they don't have the money for it now but that still doesn't make it a bad contract.

Just because a contract is non-bad doesnt mean you cant make a wrong move in taking it on. The Red Sox have taken on a 32 year old guy with recent injuries and a lat surgery that historically is off everyone's map. Last six starts, as a whole, looking so-so to below so-so.

So they are taking some risks just like the Sox are betting Avisail is more monster than just-tools.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 07:38 PM)
Just because a contract is non-bad doesnt mean you cant make a wrong move in taking it on. The Red Sox have taken on a 32 year old guy with recent injuries and a lat surgery that historically is off everyone's map. Last six starts, as a whole, looking so-so to below so-so.

So they are taking some risks just like the Sox are betting Avisail is more monster than just-tools.

Yeah the Red Sox took the least risk while getting the best player. Really great deadline for them.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:01 PM)
Says a lot about you.

I don't see any way in which the White Sox compete next year. I would expect Rios will get moved in the offseason. May be an August trade or two as well. This is a rebuild. Yes they have good pitching. Where are the position players though? Who are going to be the position players on the White Sox the next time the team is good? Those guys are not here and they really aren't in the system either. However, if the White Sox lose close to 100 games they are much closer to a World Series than if they were to finish barely under .500 somehow. Being really really bad is not always the worst thing.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 01:56 PM)
I agree with keeping him in AAA until September, especially since he's already had an option used on him this year.

You can send a player between the majors and the minors as many times as you want in a season and it only costs you one option year. Hence why Jordan Danks hasn't run out of options.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 01:46 PM)
From Keith Law..

"What you think of the White Sox' return for Peavy depends largely on what you think of Garcia. I've long held that he's an extra outfielder, or below-average regular, a player with some tools but very little baseball skill or instincts, especially at the plate where he appears to have no plan at all."

Surprise suprise! He hates a player the White Sox love! In other news, the sun rose in the East this morning

Nothing's wrong with Keith Law -- Garcia is a bag of tools that doesn't know how to hit yet at the Major League level.. This is a perfectly rational opinion. So far in the MLB, he's swung at 41% of all pitches he's seen OUTSIDE OF THE STRIKE ZONE.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 04:55 PM)
We are two bats and a couple of relievers away.

CF De Aza

2B Beckham

3B Michael Young

DH Dunn/Viciedo

1B Corey Hart

RF Garcia

LF Viciedo

SS Ramirez

C Phegley

Gillaspie gets some starts at 3B against RHP with Young going to 1B and Hart going to RF giving Garcia/Viciedo days off against RHP.

Sign two guys on short deals and have four younger guys (Beckham, Viciedo, Garcia, Phegley) who you can learn if they are part of the future. De Aza, Dunn and Alexei you basically know what you're getting. Replacing Rios with Hart and Young will help the attitude of this team.

1. Sale

2. Quintana

3. Danks

4. Santiago

5. Johnson/Rienzo/Axelrod

A. Michael Young isn't signing with the White Sox.

B. That is a really soft lineup.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:56 PM)
Nothing's wrong with Keith Law -- Garcia is a bag of tools that doesn't know how to hit yet at the Major League level.. This is a perfectly rational opinion. So far in the MLB, he's swung at 41% of all pitches he's seen OUTSIDE OF THE STRIKE ZONE.

It fine as an opinion, the way Law stated it. Law even highlights how the guy can still go in any direction.

As far as this board.........We complain for months about not having talent in the minors. Then we get impressive talent and the concern is just moved to something else.

If we want an amazing cant miss minor league prospect, a guy who has BOTH the teachable and unteachable.............. then lets trade someone Sale. That would end the whining, yet of course then..we wouldnt have Chris Sale.

And the maze would continue

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:34 PM)
I guess they're going with the slooow rebuild. I don't want to hear the BS about them competing next year, because they won't.

It could make for a really fun time here actually. There's nothing better than when you know your team isn't good, but are convinced it is about to be good. It's that great place where you can have expectations and enjoy things that aren't necessarily the crushing mental chaos of the season W-L record itself

For that to happen, we need a step forward next year from Garcia/Jacobs/E.Johnson/Thompson and it'll be fun to track all that. I can be happy with that if it finally means we are building an organization again and not relying on seat-filling OKness.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:56 PM)

Wait. So you are telling me we didn't get an elite top 30 prospect who garners Miguel Cabrera comps mainly because he looks like him?

The Keith Law hate is pretty funny too. He didn't like Sale before the White Sox drafted him, he must hate the White Sox. He didn't like Garcia before the White Sox acquired him. Clearly he hates the White Sox.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 01:46 PM)
From Keith Law..

"What you think of the White Sox' return for Peavy depends largely on what you think of Garcia. I've long held that he's an extra outfielder, or below-average regular, a player with some tools but very little baseball skill or instincts, especially at the plate where he appears to have no plan at all."

Surprise suprise! He hates a player the White Sox love! In other news, the sun rose in the East this morning

Really? Because he's a member of the White Sox? How about this from February November?

Jake (San Diego)

What's the ceiling on Avisail Garcia? Will the power develop?

Klaw (4:13 PM)

More concerned about the lack of any approach at the plate.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/...sider-keith-law

but no he's White Sox and Law says death to everything White Sox

EDIT: I would like to add this in, which I found interesting. From Tigers Prospect Report:

3) Doug Fister, RHP

I mean, Fister has been so good, that even noted snarkologist and Tiger troll Keith Law wrote an article detailing how his opinion of Fister had changed.

http://tigersprospectreport.wordpress.com/...avisail-garcia/

So Keith Law hates the White Sox AND Tigers? That doesn't seem right, does it?

Now, I would suggest looking up any team and Keith Law, and you will find that Keith Law does not "like" many teams.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 05:10 PM)
A 4-5 of Dunn and Hart could generate more power than most 4-5's in baseball. If one of Garcia or Viciedo takes off were in business.

The idea wasn't to knock people out of the park, the idea is to give us a competitive line up with young players playing for their future AND real MLB hitters. Our pitching is good enough to be top 5 in the AL, if our offense is competitive we can surprise teams.

I would rather try 3-4 guys who may be a part of the future and be competitive then play a bunch of minor leaguers and waste our pitching.

But there's a lot of swing-and-misses in that lineup. I've seen enough of that.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 04:10 PM)
A 4-5 of Dunn and Hart could generate more power than most 4-5's in baseball. If one of Garcia or Viciedo takes off were in business.

The idea wasn't to knock people out of the park, the idea is to give us a competitive line up with young players playing for their future AND real MLB hitters. Our pitching is good enough to be top 5 in the AL, if our offense is competitive we can surprise teams.

I would rather try 3-4 guys who may be a part of the future and be competitive then play a bunch of minor leaguers and waste our pitching.

We all want to win, man. We don't like punting next year any more than you do.

But dude, this is a team with a .388 winning percentage. Horrible defense AND horrible offense. And the pitching is good, not elite. Corey Hart and Michael Young don't make this team a winner.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 04:10 PM)

I may sign a couple guys in the offseason for the sole purpose of turning around and trading them for prospects. I don't want to "compete" next year. Trying to be decent and hoping for a break here and there is why the Sox have had 1 playoff appearance and 1 playoff win since 2005. They are not contending next year. I don't want them to finish in 3rd place in the central. If the team is not good enough to win the division then I want them to finish last. Two successive years of top 5 draft picks in each round and shrewd financial and personnel decision making can turn this team around for sustained success starting in 2015 or 2016.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 04:12 PM)
Really? Because he's a member of the White Sox? How about this from February November?

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/...sider-keith-law

but no he's White Sox and Law says death to everything White Sox

EDIT: I would like to add this in, which I found interesting. From Tigers Prospect Report:

http://tigersprospectreport.wordpress.com/...avisail-garcia/

So Keith Law hates the White Sox AND Tigers? That doesn't seem right, does it?

Now, I would suggest looking up any team and Keith Law, and you will find that Keith Law does not "like" many teams.

Thank you. Keith Law definitely seems like a pompous jerk, but he's equally jerky to everyone, and he sure as hell knows what he's talking about.