Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 04:34 PM)
I disagree. The goal is to make the sox a better team. Peavy is an above average starting pitcher. That is worth alot. If the players you are being offered don't make the team that much better, don't do it.

The Sox could have a rotation with Sale/Peavy/Hector/Danks and have a winning team combining that with massively good FA/scrap heap finds. It's not outside the realm of reality. Now, is that a great idea for pursuing a high percent chance at winning a WS? No. But the Sox strike me as a team aiming year in and year out and having a good-to-very-good team, and being good enough to put asses in seats.

Which is not great to hear as a fan, but I think it's what has been going on here for some 10-20 years.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 04:34 PM)
When there are multiple teams offering proposals, you take the best one. It's just too risky to hang on to Peavy. In my opinion, his value can't get much higher. Do it now.

So glad the White Sox dont use your opinion for anything.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 04:26 PM)
The reason to trade Peavy is to get prospects-- not to soothe the fans and give them some emotional reward

If you're not getting good prospects, then you dont deal him.

YES. A minimalist post with maximum TRUTH.

We don't have to deal him -- good pitcher, good guy, good contract.

If we're satisfied with the quantity and quality of prospects being offered, then, sure, it's a reasonable time to trade Peavy. If we're not, then we're not dealing him (at least to you).

The Sox shouldn't be the KC Athletics of the 50s and 60s and be the farm team for the Yankees of that era. We're not giving away guys. If you won't pay "fair" prices, maybe someone else will. If nobody will now, then they may on our other players, or at other times. In general we have to start making some deals, at some point, but there are many types of deals. We ... don't ... have ... to ... trade ... Jake Peavy.

THAT SAID ...

I believe he is traded tomorrow. After all of this posturing/testing, somebody will jump up and pay the freight. It's not that common to find a pitcher of Peavy's ilk available for a stretch drive, and one with a "relatively" favorable contract to boot (including the ability to have him for just one more year). Someone should (and, I predict, WILL) value him like that ... and then he's gone.

Edited by CyAcosta41

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 04:38 PM)
So glad the White Sox dont use your opinion for anything.

Yeah, let's watch Peavy pitch for another awful team next year.

It's just too farfetched to think the Sox aren't getting offered something of value right now for Peavy. Do we really think the Sox are getting offered crap from 3 or 4 teams right now? If they're actually being offered junk from everyone, then yes, pass. But I just don't buy that that's what is happening right now.

If he doesn't get traded, I'll be surprised.

Ken Rosenthal‏@Ken_Rosenthal

#Athletics off Peavy, moving onto other pursuits - bullpen, middle IFer. Will dangle some of players they would have traded for Peavy

White Sox may be indeed keeping him, but you know, who knows.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 04:42 PM)
Yeah, let's watch Peavy pitch for another awful team next year.

It's just too farfetched to think the Sox aren't getting offered something of value right now for Peavy. Do we really think the Sox are getting offered crap from 3 or 4 teams right now? If they're actually being offered junk from everyone, then yes, pass. But I just don't buy that that's what is happening right now.

If he doesn't get traded, I'll be surprised.

Ah so trade him for the sake of trading him....awesome. Your meltdown has been funny atleast.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 04:42 PM)

#Athletics off Peavy, moving onto other pursuits - bullpen, middle IFer. Will dangle some of players they would have traded for Peavy

Or maybe they realized the cards/redsox are offering more than they want?

We can only hope

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 04:42 PM)

And Billy Beane counters Hahn's message to interested buyers.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 04:46 PM)
Not what I said, but keep reading what you want.

No your just assuming they are getting good prospects back(Who the hell knows) and think they should trade him immediately for that. Yeah I was way off.

Take some meds and have a nap.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 04:49 PM)
No your just assuming they are getting good prospects back(Who the hell knows) and think they should trade him immediately for that. Yeah I was way off.

Take some meds and have a nap.

I said if they're getting offered crap from everyone, pass.

But I find that unlikely. At some point, Peavy's trade value is what it is. They'd be dumb not to move him now for the best offer.

BTW, the whole "take your meds" thing. I think I've seen you write that to other people, and while it doesn't offend me personally, you probably should cool it with that noise. Don't be an idiot.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 05:55 PM)
Remember: Rick Hahn is a shrewd negotiator. Was an agent. Did most of the White Sox's big deals. Tough to get a read on. Playing this well. -- PASSAN

Love hearing that....but just better not back himself into a corner at the last minute.

Love that he is kicking the tires on just about any possibility though.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 04:56 PM)
I said if they're getting offered crap from everyone, pass.

But I find that unlikely. At some point, Peavy's trade value is what it is. They'd be dumb not to move him now for the best offer.

BTW, the whole "take your meds" thing. I think I've seen you write that to other people, and while it doesn't offend me personally, you probably should cool it with that noise. Don't be an idiot.

Hahaha now this is the most ironic post of this whole thread. Thank you very much for that laugh.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Peavy stay. His performance just doesn't meet the price. End of the day, he has pitched 80 games for the sox since 2010. Not exactly the history you'd like when dealing for an arm at the bounty the Sox are requesting. Factor in his age, his injury history and his contract (which to me isn't that bad but it is still more then a team may want) and you don't exactly "wow" potential buyers.

At the same time, even if you're asking for the moon and not likely to receive it, you still don't just dump him for bodies to put in the minors. There has to be something of value there because Jake can add value to the White Sox. It may be meaningless value this season. Who knows what is in store for next season and beyond, but I just don't think you dump him without something(s) of value.

If money is the hold-up, eat the money. If that is the difference between A and B prospects, you buy those guys.

I don't have the info in front of me but hopefully someone can reference it for us, and that would be where Peavy ranks as a type A or B guy. I'd imagine B, but you never know with that goofy scale.

Right now, I think Hahn may or may not be asking for too much (after all - it is rumors) and at least to me, he doesn't command the respect to be taken serious on things. So I think guys like Beane are willing to call his bluff and see what happens. They're willing to walk away from the deals, but we don't know if Hahn truly is yet. We'll know exactly what kind of GM we have once the deadline hits.