Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 08:07 AM)
I'd start him. It would be Hahn sending a message that if you want to screw around, you pay the consequences. It cost you at least one Peavy start. I fully expect him to be an ex-White Sox by gametime however. Don't they have to make a move for Rienzo?

DA and I agree for the 3rd time in human history!

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 10:00 AM)
True True, but Edwards is rising up the charts. The Cubs are banking on Olt and Grimm becoming immediate players on their big league team. I don't think either are that great. The Rangers have been waiting on Olt for what seems like forever.

Are the Sox looking for the same or are they willing to bring in kids that will need another year or two of seasoning.

I think Peavy is better than Garza, but he is also injury prone so their values may actually be similar.

I suspect the Sox will get 3-4 prospect for Peavy with 2 of them being low minors players with good 'tools' and a nice ceiling (but could also bust) and a couple other 'solid' prospects. I don't think we get anyone's top 1 or 2 prospecct.

I think the Garza return would be reasonable. I don't know whether we'd settle for that (we should) nor do I know whether Boston has even offered that. Their fans go crazy over the mention of Boston daring to trade Middlebrooks (perhaps the equivalent of Olt, but both have been downgraded), and I doubt that they've offered a 4th/5th starter equivalent to Grimm (I'd take Felix), nor the 2 high-end pitchers in the low-minors. My guess is that they haven't come up with that Garza-like package and want us to take their Rule 5 eligibles, of which they have several.

I"m looking back to Atlanta. They need him and Peavy fits that park.

Edited by GreenSox

I'd start him. It would be Hahn sending a message that if you want to screw around, you pay the consequences. It cost you at least one Peavy start. I fully expect him to be an ex-White Sox by gametime however. Don't they have to make a move for Rienzo?

Yes, if Peavy (or somebody else) isn't traded before gametime, they would have to send somebody down in order to make room for Rienzo.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 10:10 AM)
Yes, if Peavy (or somebody else) isn't traded before gametime, they would have to send somebody down in order to make room for Rienzo.

Troncoso is an obvious candidate.

I'd like to see Axe get some good relief work. He pitches with a lot of heart and guts.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 10:05 AM)
Well, we'll agree to disagree. I know if I was a GM and I wanted Peavy, I'd take this as a sign that Peavy will indeed be moved for the highest bid, as opposed to there is a "reserve" that must be met, as you mentioned. I would hold my ground and refuse to increase my offer, except perhaps incrementally. I certainly wouldn't be making a big increase.

Now if we had Jake start tonight, I'd be thinking "this mfer (Hahn) is crazy as s***, and he means what he says" and I'd have no freaking clue whether my previous offers were really near that reserve you spoke of or not. And if I felt my Club really needed another arm for the stretch run, I'd probably be second guessing myself whether I should be giving up that better prospect or not.

I think there isa fine line between a tough negotiator and being unreasonable. Keeping PV out is a courtesy. If you get known as unreasonable, I think it hurts your abilityto trade in the future because others will stay away. This is his first year so he needs to be tough as he's shown but also willing to work things out.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 08:31 AM)
I think there isa fine line between a tough negotiator and being unreasonable. Keeping PV out is a courtesy. If you get known as unreasonable, I think it hurts your abilityto trade in the future because others will stay away. This is his first year so he needs to be tough as he's shown but also willing to work things out.

Yeah, I can understand that, but I think the stakes are high enough in mlb that reputation or not, people are going to deal with you if you have the asset they need. It's not like they can go to the Best Buy in the next town over because the one nearby is run by an asshole General Manager.

It's all very interesting to watch, however.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 10:33 AM)
Yeah, I can understand that, but I think the stakes are high enough in mlb that reputation or not, people are going to deal with you if you have the asset they need. It's not like they can go to the Best Buy in the next town over because the one nearby is run by an asshole General Manager.

It's all very interesting to watch, however.

I agree. But then the only time a trade will occur is when the other GM needs something not when RH wants something. The good relationship will allow the other GM to work with RH when he really doesn't need to. This is better for the Sox in the long run and all it takes is sitting PV for a day.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 08:37 AM)
I agree. But then the only time a trade will occur is when the other GM needs something not when RH wants something. The good relationship will allow the other GM to work with RH when he really doesn't need to. This is better for the Sox in the long run and all it takes is sitting PV for a day.

Fair points, I suppose.

I suppose reasonable minds can disagree.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 10:05 AM)
Well, we'll agree to disagree. I know if I was a GM and I wanted Peavy, I'd take this as a sign that Peavy will indeed be moved for the highest bid, as opposed to there is a "reserve" that must be met, as you mentioned. I would hold my ground and refuse to increase my offer, except perhaps incrementally. I certainly wouldn't be making a big increase.

Now if we had Jake start tonight, I'd be thinking "this mfer (Hahn) is crazy as s***, and he means what he says" and I'd have no freaking clue whether my previous offers were really near that reserve you spoke of or not. And if I felt my Club really needed another arm for the stretch run, I'd probably be second guessing myself whether I should be giving up that better prospect or not.

I'd be shocked if Rook Hahn (who IS being tested in a big way) hasn't many times told teams - provided we get offers exceeding our minimum, then highest bidder wins. Rick is a former attorney and a former player agent. That's how these people operate. So, it's no secret that this has always been the "game" and pitching him tonight sends no message at all. At least that's my take.

You (and a couple of others) mentioned that perhaps an additional message it sends is something in the nature of Hahn being a crazy mofo, a wildman, and so forth. Yeah, if Hahn were a complete unknown. He's been around for a long-time -- as Kenny's right-hand man, probably doing most of the behind the scenes stuff. They all know who he is. Playing the part of the crazy mofo, when he's an analytical business guy would be the kind of ridiculous play-acting that I'd actually think would be counterproductive long-term.

But hey, everybody reads people differently. You imagine his cronies thinking he's a "crazy mofo"; I imagine many or most saying "what a dumb f*ck." I don't see any weakness here. I see a guy with a plan, who is following his plan to the letter, and who is sensible enough to not let some transparent/artificial show of fake strength (starting him tonight) get in the way of running the plan out the last few hours.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 10:31 AM)

That's a good point, but don't say one day "we will keep him and build around him" or have it floated out there, and the next, hold him from his start because you may trade him. I understand all of the misinformation that is out there, and realize most GMs know what is real and what is not, but if you are going to say it, make it at least appear as real as possible. If you get a reputation as someone who won't bluff, other teams have to act accordingly, and then when you bluff, you get away with it a little more.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 10:31 AM)

Amen.

(My shortest reply EVER -- before the editorial about this being my shortest reply ever.)

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 10:39 AM)
That's a good point, but don't say one day "we will keep him and build around him" or have it floated out there, and the next, hold him from his start because you may trade him. I understand all of the misinformation that is out there, and realize most GMs know what is real and what is not, but if you are going to say it, make it at least appear as real as possible.

I think Olney misquoted what was being said.

Jon Heyman said that the White Sox "aren't afraid to keep Peavy" and build around him, which is more likely what we have been saying.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 08:31 AM)

Ther's an old saying that applies here and that is if Hahn started him he would be " cutting off his nose to spite his face ." Can't see the forest for the trees would also apply. The big picture is right in front you .You you cannot risk PV getting hurt under any circumstances . None , zip, nada !! All your hard work will be worth nothing if by "playin" the f*** you I'll show you I mean business card, it blows up in your face.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 08:40 AM)

Jon Heyman said that the White Sox "aren't afraid to keep Peavy" and build around him, which is more likely what we have been saying.

Yeah, and to Dick's point, I think pulling him from the start does indeed show you are a bit afraid to keep him.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 10:40 AM)

You are showing you are afraid to keep him. Unless Jake mentally can't be 100%, which is very possible, if he is still on the roster, I think you start him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 08:39 AM)
That's a good point, but don't say one day "we will keep him and build around him" or have it floated out there, and the next, hold him from his start because you may trade him. I understand all of the misinformation that is out there, and realize most GMs know what is real and what is not, but if you are going to say it, make it at least appear as real as possible. If you get a reputation as someone who won't bluff, other teams have to act accordingly, and then when you bluff, you get away with it a little more.

If you have to resort to using all that misinformation that's out there to build your case then you have lost already. Quoting a misquote , none quote, or crap that was made up and then using it to try and find some consistency in Hahns actions does not compute.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 10:41 AM)
Ther's an old saying that applies here and that is if Hahn started him he would be " cutting off his nose to spite his face ." Can't see the forest for the trees would also apply. The big picture is right in front you .You you cannot risk PV getting hurt under any circumstances . None , zip, nada !! All your hard work will be worth nothing if by "playin" the f*** you I'll show you I mean business card, it blows up in your face.

If Peavy gets injured his first start with another team, there will be adjustments to the trade. They will claim he was damaged goods. So really worrying about him getting hurt is moot. If he's that close to something going really wrong, any trade will be adjusted. There simply is not enough time for a complete physical.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 10:47 AM)
If you have to resort to using all that misinformation that's out there to build your case then you have lost already. Quoting a misquote , none quote, or crap that was made up and then using it to try and find some consistency in Hahns actions does not compute.

The White Sox and just about every other team throw misinformation out there. Things are leaked that they want leaked. Very little legitimate trade talk has ever been out there about the White Sox the last several years. Hahn is a new GM. He has an opportunity to make a reputation. Like has been stated, this is like a card game. Having a reputation as a guy who doesn't bluff can make you a big winner, and it doesn't necessarily mean you don't bluff.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 08:47 AM)
If Peavy gets injured his first start with another team, there will be adjustments to the trade. They will claim he was damaged goods. So really worrying about him getting hurt is moot. If he's that close to something going really wrong, any trade will be adjusted. There simply is not enough time for a complete physical.

Um No ! Let the buyer beware . Where did you come up with this ? Show me a precedent. You do your homework you make the trade he is yours. End of story.