Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 12:11 PM)
Question for discussion:

If Peavy is traded, which do you expect?

a-more impressive return than expected

b-less impressive return than expected

If Sherman is accurate, one top 50 guy in a 3 or 4 player package would be less impressive to me. I know of a lot of top 50 guys who didn't have much better MLB stats than me.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 12:13 PM)
JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 53s

Bud Norris and Jake Peavy starts have been scratched due to on-going trade talks;favorites to be traded today: 1. M Young 2. Norris 3. Peavy

Expand

https://twitter.com/JimBowdenESPNxm

Bowden couldn't even get it right of what show he was on today. He's a bum.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 12:14 PM)
Bowden couldn't even get it right of what show he was on today. He's a bum.

Never trusted him again after the whole Jackson-Dunn trade thing

Edited by Baron

Question for discussion:

Less than expected at this point. I think Rick had overplayed his hand in asking for the moon. Hope I am wrong.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 06:13 PM)
If Sherman is accurate, one top 50 guy in a 3 or 4 player package would be less impressive to me. I know of a lot of top 50 guys who didn't have much better MLB stats than me.

The question is, if the Sox wait until the offseason, will Peavy's value go down even more?

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 12:19 PM)
Yes.

I doubt it assuming he stays healthy. If he didn't break his rib, which was a fluke this year, he would have an ERA right about 3.00. Considering he brings back a #1 pick after next year if you give him a qualifying offer, a team should give you at least that kind of package. I really think if he had a 3.00 ERA next year at this time, they could get that package even if the #1 was off the table. His value is being penalized by 2 starts he made injured, and not to his arm.

Question for discussion:

More impressive

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 12:16 PM)
The question is, if the Sox wait until the offseason, will Peavy's value go down even more?

Always hard to say what would happen going into next year, or even at the deadline.

I find the Peavy thing very interesting. We can debate the quality of the players, but from a volume perspective, the Cubs got a lot in return for Garza. He's in his walk year, and also has shown to be very injury prone. We're hearing that teams are scared of Peavy because he has the extra year at high dollars and he's injury prone. You would think having Peavy the extra year, would be a help because the days of getting a FA at the deadline and letting him walk for picks are over. We all know about the extra money all teams are getting due to the new TV deal, so I'm not sure what the big concern is over the money Jake is owed. With the extra wild card non-sense they have now, it's imparitive for teams to win their divison to ensure the money that comes with being in the postseason.

I laugh at the things we read on Twitter where it's claimed teams will give us prospects if we pay his salary, but if we don't then you get garbage back. Please. I totally understand the injury risk with Jake and why the Sox might feel the need to dump him right now, but if they aren't going to get anything great now. Do we think they'll get that much less in the off-season? When at that point, you never know what team might be interested in making a splash. Now, it's limited to a select few teams with the $$$/Farm/Playoff Chance to make it work.

It's getting down to the end, which is nice. 26.5 hours.

It wold be incredible if the Pirates got Peavy, Rios, and Alexei in the same deal. I don't see that happening, but it's fun to think about.

Even assuming the Sox eat half of the salary involved, do the Pirates have enough prospects to make that a good idea for the Sox?

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 10:42 AM)
It's getting down to the end, which is nice. 26.5 hours.

It wold be incredible if the Pirates got Peavy, Rios, and Alexei in the same deal. I don't see that happening, but it's fun to think about.

Wow, it was for all three of them?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 12:46 PM)
Wow, it was for all three of them?

The guy mentioned they discussed Peavy and Ramirez. But if Kaplan is saying Rios is close, maybe it's all three.

But I can't see the Pirates being that bold.