2014 Draft class

caulfield12

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Nov 3, 2013 -> 02:39 PM)
BA Jeff Hoffman Article from ECU scout day.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/eas...y-jeff-hoffman/

Certainly not out of the question he's available at 3.

The best part about picking at #3 is that any way we go, we should have a damn good prospect. We are easily going to be drafting 2 of our top 5 prospects next June. I'm very excited about the draft.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Nov 3, 2013 -> 01:39 PM)
BA Jeff Hoffman Article from ECU scout day.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/eas...y-jeff-hoffman/

Certainly not out of the question he's available at 3.

Are the Marlins still against drafting HS players in Rd.1? I kind of assumed that they were thinking that Rodon and Hoffman would go 1-2 leaving us with the choice of HS Hitters or everyone else. It's obviously way premature, but something I wondered about.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 03:16 PM)
Are the Marlins still against drafting HS players in Rd.1? I kind of assumed that they were thinking that Rodon and Hoffman would go 1-2 leaving us with the choice of HS Hitters or everyone else. It's obviously way premature, but something I wondered about.

The Marlins aren't against drafting HS players at all in the 1st round. Up until just recently that was preference actually.

2011: Jose Fernandez

2010: Christian Yelich

2009: Chad James

2008 Kyle Skipworth

2007: Matt Dominguez

All prep 1st round picks. Which is why I could easily see Kolek or Gatewood going number 2.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Nov 4, 2013 -> 09:14 PM)
Kiley McDaniel's updated prep rankings:

http://sbb.scout.com/2/1343076.html

Gatewood with a big drop. I also spy a local guy making it on the list from my neck of the woods.

, a catcher from Libertyville. TCU commit.

Hey look, 1B Braxton Davidson at #3. I still wouldn't mind that pick, especially if Abreu is apparently a future DH.

EDIT: Nevermind, these are prep players duh. I didn't even realize this list was omitting all the top college players. :huh:

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 6, 2013 -> 10:03 AM)
How this offseason unfolds (keeping or dealing Quintana) may give a clue about who they think will be available at #3.

I think there's just WAY too much that can change with the draft class next spring to be making moves now based on that. It's just weird because they still have a whole season that is going to happen before June.

Turner's scouting report sounds a lot like Tim Andersons, so not sure I would think about taking him at 3. Gatewood fits in the mold of Hawkins and Zapata, being athletic with big power, but we are pretty loaded with those type of guys (all power, no contact). Jackson could be intriguing if he could play third. I think the pick is one of those three, but a lot of time to go.

I would like to see Jeren Kendall in the second round. Anyone that makes contact first is appealing to me.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 6, 2013 -> 11:24 AM)
Turner's scouting report sounds a lot like Tim Andersons, so not sure I would think about taking him at 3. Gatewood fits in the mold of Hawkins and Zapata, being athletic with big power, but we are pretty loaded with those type of guys (all power, no contact). Jackson could be intriguing if he could play third. I think the pick is one of those three, but a lot of time to go.

I would like to see Jeren Kendall in the second round. Anyone that makes contact first is appealing to me.

Turner is a much better prospect than Tim Anderson with little doubt he will be an asset at SS. I doubt Anderson is graded at having 80 speed as well.

I like Jackson plenty and if there's a shot of him continuing to catch, his value is even greater.

Gatewood could be a monster but with the swing and miss in his game I'm not sure I trust the Sox with his development.

As far as drafting they need to take the BPA even if it's a pitcher.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 6, 2013 -> 11:24 AM)

A plus defender at SS with plus plus speed, a plus bat, and the ability to develop power is not a bad choice at 3.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 08:25 AM)
A plus defender at SS with plus plus speed, a plus bat, and the ability to develop power is not a bad choice at 3.

ESPN scouting report on Turner

"Turner has elite speed and should be able to stick at shortstop, but there might not be much offensive upside. "

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 08:41 AM)

"Turner has elite speed and should be able to stick at shortstop, but there might not be much offensive upside. "

So you are basing your entire opinion of Trea Turner on 1 scouting report. I can probably find scouting reports that didn't like Tulowitzki or Longoria or Price or Sale, or were overly pessimistic on them. We can let everything get sorted out this coming season.

If he comes out, hits .400 or whatever again, shows soft and quick hands in the field, and shows an arm, you can bet he's a candidate at 3.

Here's this too from scout.com:

Trea Turner has taken a long path to likely top 10 pick and possible #1 overall pick in the 2014 MLB Draft. He was a little-known late riser as a senior from a south Florida high school that passed on a six figure offer from the Pirates as a 20th round pick. I talked to him earlier this season after a solid game early in his return from an ankle injury. He described how he knew he was just a physically weaker, slap-hitting, one dimensional prospect in high school that couldn't get calls returned from his dream school, Florida State. Some elite athletes aren't developed when they turn 18 and especially the slim-bodied, up-the-middle type athletes often have to add some bulk and develop physically before it all comes together.

Turner was a standout as a freshman playing third base and hitting .336/.432/.459 with more walks than strikeouts and going 57-for-61 on stolen bases. While he's missed some time as a sophomore, he's taken another step forward, hitting .393/.476/.613 with 29 BB, 21 K and 23-for-28 on the bases. The difference is this year Turner has been playing shortstop and he's gotten stronger and smoother as an athlete. He's an 80 runner that even coming off an ankle injury has the actions and lateral quickness to stick at shortstop long-term where his above average to plus arm plays. He's a fluid athlete with a smooth swing and a good sense of the strike zone, leaving his only weakness being his lack of raw power. His game power is developed thanks to his sound swing and advanced approach but his power ceiling is in the low double digits annually, which is below average but more than enough given his well-rounded tools and polish.

Without much reservation and despite what's looking like a very strong prep class, Turner is the #1 player on my board for the 2014 Draft. I was told by some sources before I saw Turner that I'd like him more than the much more heralded N.C. State LHP Carlos Rodon (broken down here) and I found it hard to believe, but they were absolutely correct. In this situation, I've talked to the player a good bit and to some scouts that know him as well and he earns raves for his makeup. He's also a great interview, so seriously go listen to that episode of the podcast because this guy is going to be a star.

http://www.scout.com/2/1292387.html

Of course, none of this matters now.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 11:54 AM)
You cannot compartmentalize prospects into the name prospects we already have.

Courtney Hawkims and Zapapta are different. Turner is a much better prospect than Anderson was. Essentially, no two prospects are the same.

I know it's fun to look ahead because we pick 3rd but a couple of these names will completely fall out of top 3 consideration. Turner does look like a nice option if all goes well. Seems like a high floor, high ceiling guy.

Yeah, Turnrer and Jackeson and Gateswood and Roldon may not even be considered top 5 picks by next June. We are pretty far away out, but there is not much else to talk about, so at least we can sit here at drool over guys like Hofferman and Beedle and Koelek.

Chris Beck was a consensus top 5-10 pick prior to the draft 2 years ago. He got too bulky, lost velocity, lost break on his pitches, and suddenly he fell to the 2nd round. If he gets back to form, he could turn into a top of the rotation starter. Same thing with Anthony Ranaudo and Lucas Giolito too.

If they get a position player, I'd just like them to prioritize the hit tool. Worried some guy's power might not develop? Fine. If he has bat-to-ball skills, I'll gamble on the rest of his game. Would much rather that than gamble on speed turning a guy into a five-tooler.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 08:41 AM)

For the record, this is Keith Law's assertion. He did the write up for ESPN.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 7, 2013 -> 03:44 PM)
For the record, this is Keith Law's assertion. He did the write up for ESPN.

And I like Keith Law too, but the dude is norotiously pessimistic when it comes to grading prospects. Unless they are a top, top talent, he is going to find a crticism and say "expect a utility infielder" or "a middle inning arm."

His love for Jose Iglesias was a bit weird though.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Nov 6, 2013 -> 11:47 AM)

3.5 seconds from home to first?? yeesus. Can't find any official stats on it, but from a 2005 article Willy Tavares was said to the the fastest player in the game and he ran a 3.58.