2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 1, 2014 -> 10:46 AM)
Second-round pick possibility: Aramis Garcia, Catcher, Florida International.

Baseball America had a nice write-up on him a week ago and he is projected to go right around where our second-round pick is. However, he may be exploding this year.

Everything indicates he can stay at catcher, very solid defensively, great arm and a great leader.

Offense has been great this year for FIU. .457 BA, .548 OBP (7 BB to 2 SO), .629 SLG (1 2B, 1 3B and 1 HR).

nabbing a catcher like Reetz or Garcia with our second pick would be solid. Take a big arm with our first pick and continue to pick up high talented arms later in the draft like they've done for years.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bloodlines from Matt Garrioch (draft guy on Sickels' site):

Brad (Zimmer) and Kyle are brothers.

Justus and Jordan Sheffield aren’t related to Gary that I know of but are brothers.

Tyler Beede’s dad played pro ball but didn’t go far.

Nick Gordan is Dee’s brother and Tom’s son.

Jacob Gatewood’s dad, Henry, played pro ball.

Aaron Nola is Marlins minor leaguer Austin Nola’s brother.

Shane Benes is Andy Benes’ son.

Cobi Johnson’s dad, Dane, was an MLB pitcher and is a roving pitching instructor for the Blue Jays.

Grant Hockin is Harmon Killebrew’s grandson.

Dominic Jose is Felix Jose’s son.

Brandon Bonilla is Bobby’s son.

Joe Dunand is A-Rod’s nephew.

Lukas Shiraldi is Calvin’s son.

Scott Heineman is Tyler’s (astros minor leaguer) brother.

Benito Santiago is Benito’s son.

Brandon Liebrandt is Charlie’s son.

Kevin Cron is C.J.‘s (angels prospect) bro. Dad was a major leaguer as well.

Bernardo Bonifacio is Emilio’s nephew.

Luke Dykstra is Lenny’s son.

Ryan McCullers is Lance’s brother, and Lance SR.’s son.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/2/7/53...-prospects-2014

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 09:51 AM)
In this article he says that only Kolek and Rodon are obviously better at this point.

The more I read, the more I'm smitten with Kolek. Even though I'm impatient, and he might not be ready at the start of the '16 season, as a college arm would likely be. Just hoping the Marlins don't take him, but thinking they will.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 03:34 PM)
Conor Gillaspie's brother, Casey, is expected to go in the first couple rounds as well.

Law is very skeptical of board favorites Hoffman and Turner.

Miami fans are in pretty similar boat as us. Their fans are split between Turner, Kolek and Hoffman. I'll be happy with either of the latter of two. We are in a good position this June.

I join him on his thoughts on Turner, I am warming to the thought of Kolek. The Sox will get a good SP at #3.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 08:49 AM)
As of today, I am hoping we stay away from Turner. The tools are loud, but the pitchers seem like safer developmental bets with similar upside.

My fears with Turner lie primarily in the idea that, for him to actually produce a substantial amount of surplus value for the Sox, he has to consistently be a 4-6 WAR player, and I'm not sure he's that. I think both Garcia and Semien can be 2-3 WAR players at SS pretty easily, they're both very close to the majors (if not already major league ready), and both have the potential to be about 4 WAR players at SS. On the flip side, these starters seem like, assuming health and proper development, they are 4-6 WAR pitchers, and the Sox simply don't have that type of impact arm in the minors.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 08:49 AM)
As of today, I am hoping we stay away from Turner. The tools are loud, but the pitchers seem like safer developmental bets with similar upside.

As time goes on, i feel like its less and less likely that we draft Turner. I could honestly see us taking Jackson over him.

QUOTE (staxx @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 11:08 AM)
As time goes on, i feel like its less and less likely that we draft Turner. I could honestly see us taking Jackson over him.

I think I'd be okay with that (assuming everything looked like it does today). I think the reality is that the most precious tool for position players, in this offensive environment, is the hit tool. To me, middling speed and power is fine if you have a plus hit tool, even in the first round. There just aren't more than a few guys in each draft that seem to have it. Without it, you're Keenyn Walker.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 11:34 AM)
I think I'd be okay with that (assuming everything looked like it does today). I think the reality is that the most precious tool for position players, in this offensive environment, is the hit tool. To me, middling speed and power is fine if you have a plus hit tool, even in the first round. There just aren't more than a few guys in each draft that seem to have it. Without it, you're Keenyn Walker.

Or Chris Carter

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 12:34 PM)
God you're right.

It would be nice if one of these raw prospects like actually developed a hit tool, wouldn't it?

This would be the most clear and important criticism of the Buddy Bell era. Though perhaps it precedes him.

KW was a multi-sport athlete who failed, but he came of age and played in era of successful multi-sport athletes, such as Winfield, Kirk Gibson, Bo, so he saw awesome possibilities in trying to recreate that, and it was reflected in his draft picks.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 06:08 PM)
Western Illinois has a draft prospect with some helium. Not an option at number 3 obviously, but in-state guys always interest me.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/und...-tyler-willman/

Godfrey from Providence Catholic High School is a big RH starter that might end up being a supplemental round type guy. Obviously, the Sox have been burned by a Providence kid before but if the topic is local guys, he's one of them.

Edited by Y2JImmy0

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 10:11 AM)
Trea Turner should be out of the running at #3. Positives are speed and defense, but way too many flaws as a hitter. Has a very awkward swing that will not generate any power. Not a fan of Turner.

I've always been kind of hesitant on him, and he hasn't done much yet to change that.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 10:11 AM)
Trea Turner should be out of the running at #3. Positives are speed and defense, but way too many flaws as a hitter. Has a very awkward swing that will not generate any power. Not a fan of Turner.

I think it's pitcher all the way. I think they jump for joy if Hoffman is there, if not Kolek or Beede. Just my (mostly) uninformed opinion.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)
That body type scares me. 6'5'', 250 at 18 years old? I suppose it's the same concerns for a Chris Sale type of build, but at least he was a proven college pitcher.

Watching this video -

His frame reminds me of a young version of former White Sox closer Bobby Jenks.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 12:57 PM)
Watching this video -

His frame reminds me of a young version of former White Sox closer Bobby Jenks.

That release point is scary due to potential platoon issues. How is his stuff? Sales and Mastersons are rare.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 01:05 PM)
That release point is scary due to potential platoon issues. How is his stuff? Sales and Mastersons are rare.

ESPN tidbits on Kolek:

"It's a deep group," an NL East scout said. "You've got guys like Tyler Kolek, who have the imposing size and fastball, but you wonder about the projection and if the secondary offerings are good enough to make him a legit ace.

Kolek was 92-98 in his outing against Lumberton HS, striking out 11 in six no-hit innings. His off-speed pitches were just average, but the impressive arm-strength that was on display at several events in August was clearly still there on Monday.

Kolek doesn’t offer much in terms of projection and some scouts worry about his already massive 6-foot-5, 250-pound frame, but a fastball that will touch triple-digits and a curve that will flash plus also has some scouts salivating.

Kolek is already massive at 6-foot-5 and roughly 250 pounds, but hit 100 mph last week with a better slider and curveball than he'd shown last summer.