2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 9, 2014 -> 11:58 PM)
Hoffman still awaiting his first good statistical season

Stats aren't everything though, if the Sox see he has the stuff and makeup, they may also see something in his delivery that they can correct. Even college players are not plug and play, there is still some development that needs to happen.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 02:02 AM)
After thinking long and hard about the draft, Tyler Kolek has to be the pick at #3. The Sox really need to pair Sale with another legit stud in the rotation. (If Kolek is not there, I would take Alex Jackson)

Kolek's frame is kind of scary though, at 250 lbs already you can imagine he will pack on some more once he leaves home. There is definitely high upside in the fastball, but he seems to have a closer profile until he can further develop his secondary stuff. You have to be very sure of his makeup and ability to develop before using that pick on him.

QUOTE (staxx @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 08:38 AM)
If you're picking Kolek or Jackson at #3 you make sure that you sign them. It would be a huge blow to this organization if they failed to do so.

Not really, it would just mean that the Sox get the #4 pick next season if they cannot come to terms, and who knows, perhaps there will be something they like more there next year.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 09:14 AM)
Stats aren't everything though, if the Sox see he has the stuff and makeup, they may also see something in his delivery that they can correct. Even college players are not plug and play, there is still some development that needs to happen.

Kolek's frame is kind of scary though, at 250 lbs already you can imagine he will pack on some more once he leaves home. There is definitely high upside in the fastball, but he seems to have a closer profile until he can further develop his secondary stuff. You have to be very sure of his makeup and ability to develop before using that pick on him.

Very true for the first comment.

For the second one, I liked his off speed pitch. He dropped down little when he threw it a few times on the video someone posted, however it looked very promising. He is not a one pitch picther, though it may take some refinement.

Edited by ptatc

If Hoffman isn't there, I think the Sox call on Beede. He's more polished than Kolek, has similar upside, and has dominated thus far this spring. His command was a knock on him previously, in 2013 he had 63 walks, 14 wild pitches and 10 hit batters in 101 IP. But thus far this spring he 5 walks to 33 strikeouts over 25 IP and a nice .129 batting average against. If he keeps that up, he might pass Hoffman as the 2nd best arm available.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 08:47 AM)
If Hoffman isn't there, I think the Sox call on Beede. He's more polished than Kolek, has similar upside, and has dominated thus far this spring. His command was a knock on him previously, in 2013 he had 63 walks, 14 wild pitches and 10 hit batters in 101 IP. But thus far this spring he 5 walks to 33 strikeouts over 25 IP and a nice .129 batting average against. If he keeps that up, he might pass Hoffman as the 2nd best arm available.

This is what I need to be convinced of regarding Beede. Does he have Ace stuff?

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 01:29 PM)

Scouting Grades* (future): Fastball: 70 | Curveball: 60 | Changeup: 60 | Control: 45 | Overall: 60

Beede figures to become just the 18th player selected in the first round of two different June Drafts. Picked 21st overall out of a Massachusetts high school in 2011, he opted to attend Vanderbilt, where he led NCAA Division I with a school-record 14 victories and was one of three finalists for the Golden Spikes Award last spring.

When Beede is at his best, he can display three above-average pitches. His fastball usually operates around 92-94 mph and can clock as high as 97. His sharp curveball and his changeup both arrive in the low 80s, playing off his fastball well.

The biggest question with Beede is whether he'll be able to harness his quality stuff. His delivery can get out of sync and he has trouble throwing strikes. He can be unhittable (opponents batted just .187 against him in 2013) but also has problems hitting the strike zone (63 walks in 101 innings).

That's from MLB Pipeline. He's walked five batters in 25 innings this year, which is very good. So it looks like at least early on he has harnessed his stuff. Based on the scouting report, does not seem like he would be considered an "Ace" but more so a No. 2. Aces generally have two elite-level pitches. But if the Sox are looking for the best combination of stuff and production at No. 3, you figure Beede might be the guy

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 12:47 PM)
That's from MLB Pipeline. He's walked five batters in 25 innings this year, which is very good. So it looks like at least early on he has harnessed his stuff. Based on the scouting report, does not seem like he would be considered an "Ace" but more so a No. 2. Aces generally have two elite-level pitches. But if the Sox are looking for the best combination of stuff and production at No. 3, you figure Beede might be the guy

I wonder how different he is from a guy like, say, Michael Wacha. I'd take that.

Well, our pitching coaches do happen to have a great track record fixing guys with control issues, specifically.

But at #3, do we need to take a guy who needs fixed? I'm not convinced he has so much more upside than the more polished guys that'll be available.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 01:29 PM)

From what I've seen and read the only real knock on him has been his command due to an inconsistent release point. He has a plus fastball, an even better change up, and his curve has "flashed" plus when he is commanding it. I would not be comfortable taking him if his walk rates were similar to last year but at least so far he seems to be in control.

http://bigleaguefutures.net/1/2013/11/06/s...tyler-beede-sp/

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 02:12 PM)
I wonder how different he is from a guy like, say, Michael Wacha. I'd take that.

Here is Wacha's draft report from mlb.com:

"Wacha jumped on the prospect map very early into his Aggies career and while he's still the top college arm in Texas, he's not quite as high profile now as people thought he might be after the start of his college career.Wacha reminds some of Jon Garland because of his size. He has a live, quick arm that can produce a fastball up to 94 mph, sitting comfortably in the 92-93 mph range. There might be more there, pointing to a future plus fastball. He can spin a curve, though some think he'd be better off throwing a slider at the next level. He doesn't throw a changeup much, but it could be an average offering. He can throw his pitches for strikes and goes right after hitters.Even if he's not the elite college arm some thought he would be, he still has the chance to be a big, durable big league starter. And those don't grow on trees."

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 12:25 PM)
Todays games of interest:

Carlos Rodon vs Notre Dame 2 pm CT

Jeff Hoffman vs Marshall (PPD) tomorrow at 11 am CT

Tyler Beede vs Winthrop 6:30 pm CT

Newcomb looks like he is not picthing this weekend in a three game series with East Tenn State, so maybe a red flag there.

This weekends starts and up to date season stats:

Rodon - 9 IP 10 H 3 R 3 ER 1 BB 7 K

Hoffman - 3.1 IP 2 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 7 BB, 6 K

Newcomb - 7 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 8 K

Beede - 7 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 9 K

Season

Rodon - 2.40 ERA 30 IP, 22 H, 13 R, 8 ER, 7 BB, 30 K - 4 starts

Hoffman - 3.28 ERA, 24.2 IP, 16 H, 11 R, 9 ER, 13 BB, 32 K - 4 starts

Newcomb - 0.00 ERA, 17.2 IP, 8 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 9 BB, 23 K - 3 starts

Beede - 1.08 ERA, 25 IP, 11 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 5 BB, 33 K - 4 starts

Looks like Hoffman was having some control problems, but overall his numbers are still pretty good.

I am not worried about Kolek's frame, his body is just more mature. He has a similar build to Noah Syndergaard who is listed at 6'6 240, and if you're worried about his athleticism remember that he is being recruited by SEC teams to play DE. Once he starts training with ML physical trainers his body will be in better shape.

I think that guys like Hoffman and Beede have reached their ceilings and are who they are going to be, I don't find their numbers to be too spectacular or worth of being a top 5 pick in the draft. Tyler Kolek on the other hand is a 18 year old power-pitcher, who has a fastball that can hit 100mph and hits the high 90s with regularity. He also has a developing slider and curveball that scream plus, along with a change up that sits in the low 80s. He is compared to guys like Syndergaard, Strausburg and Jonathan Gray. The sky is truly the limit for Kolek and his potential. He has to be the pick.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 05:22 AM)
I am not worried about Kolek's frame, his body is just more mature. He has a similar build to Noah Syndergaard who is listed at 6'6 240, and if you're worried about his athleticism remember that he is being recruited by SEC teams to play DE. Once he starts training with ML physical trainers his body will be in better shape.

I think that guys like Hoffman and Beede have reached their ceilings and are who they are going to be, I don't find their numbers to be too spectacular or worth of being a top 5 pick in the draft. Tyler Kolek on the other hand is a 18 year old power-pitcher, who has a fastball that can hit 100mph and hits the high 90s with regularity. He also has a developing slider and curveball that scream plus, along with a change up that sits in the low 80s. He is compared to guys like Syndergaard, Strausburg and Jonathan Gray. The sky is truly the limit for Kolek and his potential. He has to be the pick.

What makes you think Hoffman/Beede have hit their ceilings? Is it just age? Seems to me that Hoffman, at least, could use some help harnessing control. Probably mechanical changes.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 06:22 AM)

Kolek also has a lot lower floor than Beede or Hoffman. The floor for them is probably mid to low rotation starters. Kolek may turn out to be a one pitch reliever. His frame is a cause for worry because it is not a far leap to get to a Felipe Paulino or Bobby Jenks type of body. You have to be really sure about his makeup, cause a small town kid, the first time living away from home, can have some issues with staying on the path. I dont know his makeup, so I won't speculate, but it is something that the Sox have to be sure of before thinking about rolling the dice on him in the draft. The closer we get, the more I think it will be Beede or Newcomb but conference play has barely started and we still have a lot to learn about these guys.

It is a fairly regular phenomenon for 18 year olds who throw 100, to peak there and never throw that hard again.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 10:04 AM)
It is a fairly regular phenomenon for 18 year olds who throw 100, to peak there and never throw that hard again.

Or to totally flame out and/or have injuries. (Colt Griffin, Clint Everts etc.) Usually I'm the type who loves to take the risk on potential phenoms in the draft (Nevin Griffith for example) especially when picking later or a comp. pick, but when your making the #3 overall pick, you better make damn sure you do your research on the player. I hope the sox are doing their homework now on these prospects. If they believe he'll hold up and is just too good to pass on (Chris Sale), take him... and pray.

I am going to say first that even though I would be surprised if the Sox picked Kolek over a college pitcher, I still would be very excited about his potential. With his size, athleticism, and talent he could be an ace one day no doubt. I just would disagree with your assessment that his breaking stuff "screams plus." His slider is his most advanced breaking ball, followed by a curve, and I read some reports that he barely throws/controls a change up. With his size, it's no surprise he has a big fastball, but he is going to have to work very hard on his secondary stuff to realize his lofty potential. He is going to have a difficult time transitioning from blowing away small town high school hitters to professionals.

With that being said, if the Sox do take him, they better believe they can refine those secondary pitches. I just don't see the Sox passing on more polished collegiate pitchers that high in the draft. I don't think Beede or Hoffman has "reached their ceilings." Beede and Hoffman have three plus or flashing plus plus offerings that profile as a #1 or #2 starter. I think if the Sox are looking for someone to pair with Sale at the top of the rotation during his time they go for Hoffman or Beede.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
It is still super-early, but I am feeling Beede for the Sox right now. Just a gut reaction.

I agree. Early on I was worried that Rodon and Hoffman would be a class on their own, but Beede has definitely joined them.

FYI, Beede is facing off against Aaron Nola Friday night in what could be a showdown between two top 10 picks.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 11:53 AM)
Here's another mock draft that has recently been updated

http://throughthefencebaseball.com/2014-ml...-41-picks/41590

I think this one is more accurate.

I would love for us to be able to get either Medeiros or Mac Marshall if one is available for our round 2 pick. Lefties are currency. Only caveat is if there's a C available that we love.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen