2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 09:09 PM)
Real shame the Sox didn't pick up Giolito. Particularly considering their penchant lately for taking pitchers (and with success) whom other teams saw as too risky or flawed (Sale, Danish). I remember reading Robin saying there was no way he'd fall to the Sox at 13.

It is just hard to give a kid $3 million knowing he needs TJ surgery. Coupled with the risk of high school pitchers already, it is not hard to see why he slid and why the Sox did not choose him.

Edited by maggsmaggs

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 08:44 AM)
It is just hard to give a kid $3 million knowing he needs TJ surgery. Coupled with the risk of high school pitchers already, it is not hard to see why he slid and why the Sox did not choose him.

Agree that is was a difficult pick to make in that draft given where the Sox were picking, I think that they are poised to be able to take advantage of someone that slips for whatever concerns in the second round. It seems there are so many variables from 10 on that there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of separation of talent from 15-50. You know some guys are going to go, like the catchers, Freeland, Newcomb, but some of those high school arms may start to slip due to signability issues. If the Sox can pull some money out of that #3 slot they are going to get a heck of prospect in round 2.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 09:19 AM)
keithlaw ‏@keithlaw 3m

ECU right hander Jeff Hoffman will miss at least his next two starts after experiencing arm soreness during a side session yesterday.

Concerning

Though maybe what the Sox need to get him to make it to #3 at this point.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 08:39 AM)
That might save us from ourselves

And back to Rodon?

Maybe Hoffman will end up injuring himself (if it turns out be more serious) having attempted to impress everyone with velocity/radar gun readings, just like Rodon in his 134 pitch start.

Crazy. What's going to happen next in this soap opera?

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 09:21 AM)
Though maybe what the Sox need to get him to make it to #3 at this point.

That was most thought as well. The way he pitched in his last start I am sure he would be in the mix at 1-1 and 1-2. But if he goes on the shelf after his best pitching performance what good is he?

No Beede/McCulloch/Broadway, haha.

Yes, I know McCulloch was a fringe first rounder, and probably 2nd/3rd if not for financial limitations on draft back then.

At any rate, you don't take a pitcher in the first five picks you can't project as a 1/2. The end.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)
Bad news indeed on Hoffman, as I can't see the Sox drafting him now. Hopefully this puts Aiken/Kolek more in play, and not Beede.

Still not totally sure how serious the Hoffman soreness is, but I would agree. Hope Rodon goes 1-1 which sets us up nicely for Aiken or Kolek.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 09:26 AM)
Still not totally sure how serious the Hoffman soreness is, but I would agree. Hope Rodon goes 1-1 which sets us up nicely for Aiken or Kolek.

And yet vitually nobody's making the projection of him going 1st (overall) at the moment...I'm sure everything will change again in the next 5-6 weeks.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 10:26 AM)

At this point, I think Aiken-Kolek are going 1-2. Hopefully the Hoffman stuff is not serious because then our choice is super difficult. But as of right now, we just know Hoffman has "arm" soreness. That is extremely vague. Is it the elbow? Shoulder? Some sort of bicep tendonitis? It can be a wide variety of things and thus, a wide variety of ominousness. There is no such thing as good arm soreness, but let's wait and see what the exact injury is. East Carolina is a borderline NCAA Tournament team, so they really could use Hoffman's starts. Not sure what that says about the extent of the injury, probably means it is more than nothing though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 09:39 AM)
Why? Because you don't like Hoffman? Great. Now when the HS arms go 1-2, the Sox can draft Trea Turner at #3. Joy.

Why would we do that when we just drafted Anderson and have Semien, L. Garcia, Keppinger and Carlos Sanchez all capable of playing that position?

Not to mention Saladino.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 10:39 AM)
Why? Because you don't like Hoffman? Great. Now when the HS arms go 1-2, the Sox can draft Trea Turner at #3. Joy.

Eh. More of the same from him. He keeps drive-by posting in this thread with his hyperbolic Rodon praise. Adds nothing of substance.

If the Hoffman injury is serious, it could actually hurt the Cubs more than anyone. There seems to be a consensus top 4 right now, and then a big drop to the next tier of players. I still worry the Sox won't want to take a high school pitcher that high.

As of today, I'd be pleased with SIGNING Rodon at 3. But I think there's a real possibility that he goes the Appel route, in which case I want the Sox to be goddamn sure about being able to sign him if they draft him.

Because of this conundrum, I'd rather him just be of the board.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 11:45 AM)
Why would we do that when we just drafted Anderson and have Semien, L. Garcia, Keppinger and Carlos Sanchez all capable of playing that position?

Not to mention Saladino.

Who the Hell cares?

Tough luck for Hoffman this late in the season, my wild speculation regarding his injury is that his last start was basically an unofficial pro-day with so many scouts in attendance so he dialed it up and let everything fly to very positive results. However in the process he probably overextended himself which probably led to this recent soreness, my concern is whether he can consistently pitch at the level he did in his last start without risking serious injury. I've never been a believer in Hoffman and this really should scare Hahn & Co. off of him at #3.

If Aiken/Kolek are off the board at #3 I'd probably go with Alex Jackson, I know our OF depth in the minors in a bit crowded but his swing and tools are too hard to pass up IMO.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 06:07 PM)
Tough luck for Hoffman this late in the season, my wild speculation regarding his injury is that his last start was basically an unofficial pro-day with so many scouts in attendance so he dialed it up and let everything fly to very positive results. However in the process he probably overextended himself which probably led to this recent soreness, my concern is whether he can consistently pitch at the level he did in his last start without risking serious injury. I've never been a believer in Hoffman and this really should scare Hahn & Co. off of him at #3.

If Aiken/Kolek are off the board at #3 I'd probably go with Alex Jackson, I know our OF depth in the minors in a bit crowded but his swing and tools are too hard to pass up IMO.

It's more that our pitching depth is horrible right now.