2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 1, 2014 -> 07:08 PM)
Keith Law stated on Buster Olney's podcast (today's edition) that he thinks the White Sox will select Erick Fedde with the third pick right now. Said Hoffman's elbow pain is worrisome and will cause him to drop. That would be an ultra disappointing selection. Law did not say it with any sort of confidence, however. But I can understand Hoffman over Rodon if the medicals check out on Hoffman, but Fedde over Rodon would be disappointing.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v31229355/draft-rep...college-pitcher

Everything I've seen on him has him going in the mid-teens.

Edited by Eminor3rd

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (fathom @ May 1, 2014 -> 11:07 PM)
Law seems to rank Feede higher than most. With that said, Law suggested in his chat today that the Sox would take either Aiken or Kolek if they are available.

And Hahn thinks Rodon is the best college arm.

Seriously, walk away with one of Rodon, Kolek, or Aiken and things should be happy.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 2, 2014 -> 02:37 PM)
I was going to say the Sox might do Fedde if he could go under-slot but then there's Boras.

Agreed. Who knows if Hoffman is actually out of the realm of possibility but the first tier went from four pitchers to three and we pick third.

If the sox didn't like what may avail at #3 (ref signability) they may select a lower rated player and come to a predraft

agreement with him and his camp.

this has been done before with the sox and past draft #1.

That being said, if the right pitcher is not there and Hoffman concerns, I would like alex Jackson c/of.

Any thoughts???

QUOTE (LDF @ May 2, 2014 -> 09:38 AM)
If the sox didn't like what may avail at #3 (ref signability) they may select a lower rated player and come to a predraft

agreement with him and his camp.

this has been done before with the sox and past draft #1.

That being said, if the right pitcher is not there and Hoffman concerns, I would like alex Jackson c/of.

Any thoughts???

Yeah, that's plausible, but I don't see it happening with us this year. Two of Rodon, Aiken, Kolek, and Jackson will be available. If it was only Hoffman (assuming the injury risk remains), Nola, and Beede, I could see them possibly reaching for an underslot choice.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 2, 2014 -> 10:01 AM)
Yeah, that's plausible, but I don't see it happening with us this year. Two of Rodon, Aiken, Kolek, and Jackson will be available. If it was only Hoffman (assuming the injury risk remains), Nola, and Beede, I could see them possibly reaching for an underslot choice.

Yeah I agree. The Sox are guaranteed Rodon, Aiken, or Kolek. It would be awesome if Hoffman was this years Sean Manaea and slid all the way to round 2. Never going to happen but if he's actually injured, I wonder if it could benefit the White Sox in the long run.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 2, 2014 -> 04:10 PM)
Yeah I agree. The Sox are guaranteed Rodon, Aiken, or Kolek. It would be awesome if Hoffman was this years Sean Manaea and slid all the way to round 2. Never going to happen but if he's actually injured, I wonder if it could benefit the White Sox in the long run.

I respect what is being said by you guys, but why would they look at a prospect ranked from #14-19, unless they want to

save slot money and/or they didn't want to deal with a possible hard sign.

Also, I think it should be noted with as smart and thoughtful Rick Hahn is when speaking, I don't think he would publicly talk about Rodon being the best college pitcher if they were averse taking him. Wouldn't make sense to bypass the guy you have stated it the best college pitcher. For that reason, I don't think the Boras factor is as ominous as some believe. Plus, the Boras factor has become less and less relevant under the new Draft rules.

Last year, a lot of posters wanted the Sox to tank to get the #1 pick. That pick at the time was Rondon. If somehow an uninjured Rondon is available at #3 and the Sox draft someone else so they have a few extra dollars to sign someone not so highly thought of, to me would be the biggest waste of draft position.

Do you pass on Chris Sale so you can get Gavin Floyd and Jared Mitchell?

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 2, 2014 -> 03:29 PM)
Also, I think it should be noted with as smart and thoughtful Rick Hahn is when speaking, I don't think he would publicly talk about Rodon being the best college pitcher if they were averse taking him. Wouldn't make sense to bypass the guy you have stated it the best college pitcher. For that reason, I don't think the Boras factor is as ominous as some believe. Plus, the Boras factor has become less and less relevant under the new Draft rules.

Good point, I guess we need to see more upcoming info on the draft.....

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 2, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)
Last year, a lot of posters wanted the Sox to tank to get the #1 pick. That pick at the time was Rondon. If somehow an uninjured Rondon is available at #3 and the Sox draft someone else so they have a few extra dollars to sign someone not so highly thought of, to me would be the biggest waste of draft position.

We aren't talking about a "few draft dollars" here. If the guy makes a massive demand, the franchise is literally making the choice between signing him, and basically giving up on signing most of your top 10 draft picks, along with zero overslot signings.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 2, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)

Of course not, but it's not solely a money issue. If he falls to 3, it's because he's a worse asset than he was this time last year. Posters were drooling over #1 Rodon, not #3 Rodon.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 2, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)
I respect what is being said by you guys, but why would they look at a prospect ranked from #14-19, unless they want to

save slot money and/or they didn't want to deal with a possible hard sign.

I think it's because things can still change. The reason guys fly up draft boards is because every team is checking on them and sometimes they decide they like a guy better than they did pre-season.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 2, 2014 -> 03:30 PM)

If I remember correctly sale was passed by teams b/c of fear of injury risk to his throwing arm..... we got lucky

and did a roll of the dice.

however I do not see the sox org explaining why he did not someone. unless of course if its the company line

of We believe this player has more upside.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 2, 2014 -> 03:34 PM)
I think it's because things can still change. The reason guys fly up draft boards is because every team is checking on them and sometimes they decide they like a guy better than they did pre-season.

the names mention yesterday took many people, including sports writers for a surprise.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 2, 2014 -> 10:36 AM)
If I remember correctly sale was passed by teams b/c of fear of injury risk to his throwing arm..... we got lucky

and did a roll of the dice.

however I do not see the sox org explaining why he did not someone. unless of course if its the company line

of We believe this player has more upside.

Some was that, some was contract demands, and some was the belief that he'd only make it as a reliever at the next level.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2014 -> 10:32 AM)
We aren't talking about a "few draft dollars" here. If the guy makes a massive demand, the franchise is literally making the choice between signing him, and basically giving up on signing most of your top 10 draft picks, along with zero overslot signings.

Honestly, if you look at the expected production of players outside Round 1 relative to the player selected at third overall (and especially if you consider him No. 1 on your Prospect Board), putting all your eggs in one basket might be the best strategy.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 2, 2014 -> 10:46 AM)
Honestly, if you look at the expected production of players outside Round 1 relative to the player selected at third overall (and especially if you consider him No. 1 on your Prospect Board), putting all your eggs in one basket might be the best strategy.

Completely disagree. If Rodon costs you #1 pick money at #3, you almost literally cannot do it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 2, 2014 -> 03:41 PM)
Some was that, some was contract demands, and some was the belief that he'd only make it as a reliever at the next level.

which I think is in play here, but hey what do I know.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 2, 2014 -> 03:48 PM)
Completely disagree. If Rodon costs you #1 pick money at #3, you almost literally cannot do it.

and that was Boras strategy, if player A falls b/c of contract concerns ...... he still would be asking for the same

money even if player A kept on falling.

with the new draft and slot money I still wonder if agents will try to find a way around it.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 2, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)
and that was Boras strategy, if player A falls b/c of contract concerns ...... he still would be asking for the same

money even if player A kept on falling.

with the new draft and slot money I still wonder if agents will try to find a way around it.

Here are the options in my opinion.

1. Rodon goes 1:1 and gets paid.

2. Rodon goes later and takes slightly over slot money.

3. Rodon doesn't go #1, demands #1 money, and goes back to NC State.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 2, 2014 -> 11:08 AM)

I always get reminded of Aaron Crow around this time of year, declining the Nationals offer as a college senior and going to play Independent ball for a year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 2, 2014 -> 11:15 AM)
I always get reminded of Aaron Crow around this time of year, declining the Nationals offer as a college senior and going to play Independent ball for a year.

I suppose that someone (Cubs), (Mets) could cough up the coin but they'd be taking College SR's rest of the way.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 2, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)

And if we winds up at door #3, he's truly a doofus.