2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ May 14, 2014 -> 01:29 PM)
40 years ago...

There was a time the White Sox actually doled out some cash in the draft. It wasn't big money, but in 1982 KW got the highest bonus of any player. He also got the exact same bonus Junior Griffey received as the #1 overall player taken in 1987. Jack McDowell got $5k more than him in the same draft. And Joe Borchard was given the biggest bonus ever at the point he was drafted in 2002. It lasted as a record for several years.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 14, 2014 -> 10:44 AM)
Draft chat at 1:30 if you have questions to ask.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/?1400080672

Mike (Iowa): Who do you see the White Sox talking, Aiken, Kolek, Rodon or someone else?

John Manuel: They're crosschecking hitters such as Nick Gordon and Alex Jackson, but I believe Kolek is the perfect fit at 3 for the White Sox. I'm a fan of their pitching development program and believe Kolek and the White Sox are a great match. That said, 4-5 years ago, they would never have considered Alex Jackson because of who's advising him, but I think he's in play for the White Sox as well.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 14, 2014 -> 01:29 PM)
Kolek is a beast but I've read stuff lately (maybe DA posted it) about how doctors are saying that the adolescent ligament is simply not designed to handle consistently throwing in the upper 90's. The fact that this guy is the hardest thrower of the draft era means he's at a singular risk of injury.

Idk, I'd take him if he falls probably, but I'd be terrified. If it's him left at 3 and the Sox choose a hitter, I'll understand. If they choose Nola or something, I'll be disappointed.

He scares me, and the only reason is because he throws too hard. It seems crazy. If he is the one left standing when the Sox pick, it will make me wish you could trade picks and move down several slots and maybe add other prospects. You could then take Hoffman, a guy they loved, and he's already had the surgery, and get a couple of decent minor league prospects.

Maybe like the chat says, the Sox are the perfect organization for him. That doesn't mean the damage hasn't already been done, and it's not like White Sox pitchers are immune to injury.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 14, 2014 -> 06:48 PM)
There was a time the White Sox actually doled out some cash in the draft. It wasn't big money, but in 1982 KW got the highest bonus of any player. He also got the exact same bonus Junior Griffey received as the #1 overall player taken in 1987. Jack McDowell got $5k more than him in the same draft. And Joe Borchard was given the biggest bonus ever at the point he was drafted in 2002. It lasted as a record for several years.

I thought Borchard was 00

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 14, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)
Sox just shouldn't draft anyone that isn't a safe high floor player who likelyn has a low ceiling. The rest are too much risk.

I don't think anyone is saying that -- but there's legitimate reason to believe that Kolek may be one of the biggest injury risks EVER. At that point, it needs to be a consideration, IMO.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 14, 2014 -> 04:46 PM)
I don't think anyone is saying that -- but there's legitimate reason to believe that Kolek may be one of the biggest injury risks EVER. At that point, it needs to be a consideration, IMO.

Not going to post the response to your question?

Eminor3rd (NYC): Is Kolek a ticking time bomb for injury? Is the risk of throwing that hard that young enough that you'd let him slip past say pick 3?

John Manuel: That’s the approximately $5 million question. The snarky answer would be, of course he is. He’s a pitcher. The better answer, I hope, would be: He’s coordinated; nothing in his delivery screams out red flag according to the scouts I have talked to. He’s certainly got his man strength, and he goes to a personal trainer three times a week and has really improved his body over the course of the past year. If you think he just throws too hard (and I frankly sympathize with that opinion) then yeah, he’s going to get hurt. But he certainly has a body and arm action that scouts believe to be up to the task of throwing this hard for a long time. He’s a big boy. I think he’s going to go out really high. Don’t think he’s going to slip at this time.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/201...prospects-chat/

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 14, 2014 -> 05:59 PM)
I hope that the same team that today was willing to eat $6 million on Jeff Keppinger is not afraid of spending in the draft.

The question isn't if they are going to spend, it's how they are going to allocate. The sox will clearly go up right to their bonus cap. Maybe they would go over by less than 5% in the right circumstances.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 14, 2014 -> 05:29 PM)
Not going to post the response to your question?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/201...prospects-chat/

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 14, 2014 -> 07:09 PM)
Nice! I had to bail on the chat after a few minutes.

Love hearing guys say good things about our options :D

I laughed at this, mainly cause it looked like you were ignoring his answer to fulfill a narrative like some on this board, but sadly it wasn't.

I'm hoping for Kolek or Hoffman. I've only read a small amount about the top prospects. Will dig in as we get closer to the draft.

What's the overall census on who we get/should take at #3? Kind of seems all over the place right now.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ May 14, 2014 -> 10:22 PM)
I'm hoping for Kolek or Hoffman. I've only read a small amount about the top prospects. Will dig in as we get closer to the draft.

What's the overall census on who we get/should take at #3? Kind of seems all over the place right now.

You mean Hoffman in the 2nd round?

No way they're going to take a pitcher on the shelf with TJ surgery for 12-18 months with the #3.

I'm a little confused. Please clarify this concern for young pitchers' injury risk. I always thought that there was a difference between throwing "hard" and having good velocity.

It seems as though Kolek doesn't throw as "hard" as some of the other candidates in this upcoming Draft. He simply is able to generate more velocity, primarily due to his natural

size and strength, not because he is throwing "harder". I've read that he is able to maintain the speed on his fastball with relative ease.

Moreover, don't the breaking balls put more stress on the arm than a properly thrown fastball? Many argue that throwing fastballs and change ups puts less stress on young arms, than trying to get the extra rotation on curves and sliders. He has not had to rely upon breaking pitches, because of his extraordinary ability to throw high velocity fast balls. That all sounds very positive to me.

Hawk has always said that "the best pitch is a well located fastball, and the second best pitch is a good change up". You can add that the better the fast ball, the more effective the change up can be.

A hitter anticipating a 100 mph. fastball will be starting his swing early. A good deceptive motion is then almost all that is needed to make him commit to a swing. Maybe Kolek's best approach would be to just develop a decent change, and not worry about throwing too many breaking balls. That could greatly reduce his risk of injury.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 15, 2014 -> 12:21 AM)
You mean Hoffman in the 2nd round?

No way they're going to take a pitcher on the shelf with TJ surgery for 12-18 months with the #3.

There was a report posted earlier in this thread that there is still a chance that the Sox select Hoffman at #3. The odds aren't great that it is going to happen, but it could make sense in the right set of circumstances.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 15, 2014 -> 08:31 AM)
There was a report posted earlier in this thread that there is still a chance that the Sox select Hoffman at #3. The odds aren't great that it is going to happen, but it could make sense in the right set of circumstances.

I'm not saying that I'm in love with the idea, but if they are confident in him making a full recovery and they really liked him before the injury, they could sign him well below slot at #3 and then go over slot on the next several picks and add a ton of organizational depth.

Ugh, I'd hate that.

I'm guessing whoever wrote that sox would still be interested in selecting a guy whose getting TJ surgery at a possibly franchise changing selection at #3 overall was doing a favor to the front office in blowing smoke.

How could you be sure he'd make a full recovery before surgery had even happened? TJ is not a sure thing.

The question becomes, if Hoffman is willing to take a major discount, would you be willing to draft him at #3? Keep in mind the Sox top pick slot value is just over $5.7 million, with a total bonus allotment of $9.5 million. Would a million dollar discount to slot do it? Two million? Or not for any discount?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 15, 2014 -> 10:46 AM)
The question becomes, if Hoffman is willing to take a major discount, would you be willing to draft him at #3? Keep in mind the Sox top pick slot value is just over $5.7 million, with a total bonus allotment of $9.5 million. Would a million dollar discount to slot do it? Two million? Or not for any discount?

I would say that the risk of a guy suffering a permanent decrease in performance following Tommy John Surgery is a lot higher than the risk of drafting a hard-throwing high schooler who hasn't yet undergone it. If we were drafting lower I'd consider something like that if there was a big discount involved, but with the strength that still seems on the board in the top 3...well, Sox brass would have to absolutely adore Hoffman and despise the other guys.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft/mock/...-Law-Mock-Draft

Keith Law's first mock draft has a shocker, he has the Marlins selecting Alex Jackson at #2 and the Sox passing on Rodon for Tyler Kolek. I'll post his thoughts on the top three picks...

For Brady Aiken to Houston:

Analysis: I keep hearing the Astros are down to three names: Aiken, Carlos Rodon, and Alex Jackson, with local product Tyler Kolek likely on the outside of that final set. The decision may come down to money -- they'd like to repeat their successful 2012 strategy, where they save $2 million or so on the top pick and reallocate the money to later picks (they have No. 37 and No. 42 this year) to acquire more first-round talents who slid into the sandwich/second because of their bonus demands.

For Alex Jackson to Miami:

Analysis: The Marlins are on the same three names as Houston, plus Tyler Kolek, but the word around town is that Miami is focusing heavily on bats throughout the draft. The Fish have the most money in their draft pool of any team this year, with extra picks at 36 and 39 as well as their regular pick at 43, and could do just what Houston wants to do, cleaning up with as many as four first-round talents if they play their money right.

I've also heard them with Bradley Zimmer, but I think he's a tweener for them -- probably not as good as their best options at No. 2, and clearly long gone before they pick again.

For Tyler Kolek to Chicago:

Analysis: The White Sox want one of the big three arms, so even though early favorite Jeff Hoffman is on the shelf after Tommy John surgery, they'll still get someone they really like. The bet here is that they'd do better financially with Kolek than with Carlos Rodon, but I wouldn't rule out the latter. Everything I'm projecting here is about probabilities, or possibilities, not certainties.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ May 15, 2014 -> 11:03 AM)
http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft/mock/...-Law-Mock-Draft

Keith Law's first mock draft has a shocker, he has the Marlins selecting Alex Jackson at #2 and the Sox passing on Rodon for Tyler Kolek. I'll post his thoughts on the top three picks...

For Brady Aiken to Houston:

Analysis: I keep hearing the Astros are down to three names: Aiken, Carlos Rodon, and Alex Jackson, with local product Tyler Kolek likely on the outside of that final set. The decision may come down to money -- they'd like to repeat their successful 2012 strategy, where they save $2 million or so on the top pick and reallocate the money to later picks (they have No. 37 and No. 42 this year) to acquire more first-round talents who slid into the sandwich/second because of their bonus demands.

For Alex Jackson to Miami:

Analysis: The Marlins are on the same three names as Houston, plus Tyler Kolek, but the word around town is that Miami is focusing heavily on bats throughout the draft. The Fish have the most money in their draft pool of any team this year, with extra picks at 36 and 39 as well as their regular pick at 43, and could do just what Houston wants to do, cleaning up with as many as four first-round talents if they play their money right.

I've also heard them with Bradley Zimmer, but I think he's a tweener for them -- probably not as good as their best options at No. 2, and clearly long gone before they pick again.

For Tyler Kolek to Chicago:

Analysis: The White Sox want one of the big three arms, so even though early favorite Jeff Hoffman is on the shelf after Tommy John surgery, they'll still get someone they really like. The bet here is that they'd do better financially with Kolek than with Carlos Rodon, but I wouldn't rule out the latter. Everything I'm projecting here is about probabilities, or possibilities, not certainties.

I was coming here to post about this. Keith Law has Rodon to the Cubs, Gordon to the Twins, Conforto to the M's, Nola to Philly, Freeland to Rox, and Toronto taking Touissant and Hoffman. He has Fedde falling to 18 with Washington and Pittsburgh taking Beede at #24.

1 Brady Aiken Houston Astros (14-27)

2 Alex Jackson Miami Marlins (21-20)

3 Tyler Kolek Chicago White Sox (20-22)

4 Carlos Rodon Chicago Cubs (13-25)

5 Nick Gordon Minnesota Twins (18-20)

6 Michael Conforto Seattle Mariners (20-20)

7 Aaron Nola Philadelphia Phillies (17-21)

8 Kyle Freeland Colorado Rockies (23-19)

9 Touki Toussaint Toronto Blue Jays (20-21)

10 Sean Newcomb New York Mets (19-20)

11 Jeff Hoffman Toronto Blue Jays (20-21)

12 Max Pentecost Milwaukee Brewers (25-15)

13 Trea Turner San Diego Padres (19-21)

14 Grant Holmes San Francisco Giants (26-15)

15 Kyle Schwarber Los Angeles Angels (21-18)

16 Bradley Zimmer Arizona Diamondbacks (16-27)

17 Derek Fisher Kansas City Royals (20-19)

18 Erik Fedde Washington Nationals (21-19)

19 Sean Reid-Foley Cincinnati Reds (17-20)

20 Casey Gillaspie Tampa Bay Rays (18-23)

21 Monte Harrison Cleveland Indians (19-21)

22 Derek Hill Los Angeles Dodgers (22-20)

23 A.J. Reed Detroit Tigers (24-12)

24 Tyler Beede Pittsburgh Pirates (17-22)

25 Ti'Quan Forbes Oakland Athletics (25-16)

26 Marcus Wilson Boston Red Sox (20-19)

27 Foster Griffin St. Louis Cardinals (20-20)