2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 05:43 PM)
Odds are that it is true, but, it really doesn't mean anything. A lot of teams will negotiate with multiple players and have preliminary deals in place and will select the player/deal combination they like the best on draft night. So while Jackson may have the details of a deal ironed out, the Marlins are in no way a lock to draft him.

Thanks.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 12:40 PM)
So, just after seeing this, what are people thinking odds are that the Jackson report is true?

I searched for it on Twitter and all I could find was a Cubs blogger mentioning a rumour. However I haven't seen any mention of this rumour elsewhere, not sure where he got it from.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 11:52 AM)
Yes, I believe it was the one before the most recent.

Coincidentally I am listening to that podcast right now and came here to post about how Parks says if he were a GM, he would take Aaron Nola over Tyler Kolek. Parks thinks that Kolek is all arm, and has not learned any pitchability yet. Pretty much views him as high risk/high reward, where he views Nola as not as high of a reward, but much safer.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 12:17 PM)
Coincidentally I am listening to that podcast right now and came here to post about how Parks says if he were a GM, he would take Aaron Nola over Tyler Kolek. Parks thinks that Kolek is all arm, and has not learned any pitchability yet. Pretty much views him as high risk/high reward, where he views Nola as not as high of a reward, but much safer.

The thing I took from that wasn't so much that Nola was safer, but that people were underrating his stuff. Touches mid-90's with three good pitches (I think I posted something about it a few pages back).

But then I saw Doug Thorburn's recent Rasing Aces post where he broke down the mechanics of the top 4 SP prospects and came away a big fan of Kolek's mechanics: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article....articleid=23731

"Who said we are going to take a pitcher?" KW

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/...us-has-narrowed

Also

The White Sox believe they could be ready to make some serious noise in the coming years, so don't be surprised to see the club use the first pick on a college pitcher who can rise quickly over a high-school talent with slightly more upside.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)
I wish KW would go off into the sunset. His draft record overall is terrible, he is the last guy who should be a deciding voice on 2014 pick choice.

His draft record is tied to him pushing the limits of the payroll every year and not having anything left over to spend on amateur talent and having to draft players that he could get at a discount.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 02:10 PM)
KW might want to check with Laumann and Hahn. They both pretty much said the Sox were taking a pitcher.

In the article, Lauman says they are looking at 5 pitchers and one position player.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 02:14 PM)
His draft record is tied to him pushing the limits of the payroll every year and not having anything left over to spend on amateur talent and having to draft players that he could get at a discount.

Borchard, Joe

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 02:14 PM)

No it was taking the cheapest player they could get signed and not have to deal with Boras type agents, payroll had nothing to do with it. Kenny was a terrible talent evaluator, when you cannot even call up a decent 4th OF because of injuries you know KW dropped the ball. Thank goodness for new slotted system or Sox would not be getting hardly anyone worth a dam. The year he drafted his Son, who could not even start for his college team so early in the draft was the worst.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 02:31 PM)
I would take a chance on Joe Borchard every time. Incredible talent.

That's fair, but he was at the time, the most expensive draft choice in major league history. And remained so for several years.

The White Sox paid slot in other years. The reason their system sucked as bad as it sucked was talent evaluation, not bonuses allocated.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 02:32 PM)
No it was taking the cheapest player they could get signed and not have to deal with Boras type agents, payroll had nothing to do with it. Kenny was a terrible talent evaluator, when you cannot even call up a decent 4th OF because of injuries you know KW dropped the ball. Thank goodness for new slotted system or Sox would not be getting hardly anyone worth a dam.

The reason they needed the cheapest players was because they had allocated resources to payroll instead of the draft and international FA. Hahn made an effort to free up money so that he can spend on amateur talent so that you do have someone to call up, KW's solution was to just re-sign DeWayne Wise. Totally agree that KW ran the system into ground, but after 2005 he went for it every year pushing payroll to the limits and neglecting to bring in adequate talent, they pretty much gave up internationally.

Interesting mock, not sure how reputable this site is:

1. Astros - SS Nick Gordon (Olympia High School)

2. Marlins - C Alex Jackson (Rancho Bernardo High School)

3. White Sox - LHP Brady Aiken (Cathedral Catholic High School)

4. Cubs - LHP Carlos Rodon (NC State)

5. Twins - RHP Tyler Kolek (Shepherd High School)

6. Mariners - LHP Sean Newcomb (Hartford)

7. Phillies - RHP Grant Holmes (Conway High School)

8. Rockies - RHP Aaron Nola (LSU)

9. Blue Jays - SS Trea Turner (NC State)

10. Mets - LHP Kyle Freeland (Evansville)

http://beisbolsblog.blogspot.com/

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 02:16 PM)
Borchard, Joe

The White Sox were dead last in all of baseball from 2007 to 2011 in draft spending. They spent $18 million over that time. To drive home how low that was, the Marlins were #29 and spent $21 million or about 15% more.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 02:47 PM)
The White Sox were dead last in all of baseball from 2007 to 2011 in draft spending. They spent $18 million over that time. To drive home how low that was, the Marlins were #29 and spent $21 million or about 15% more.

But how does that absolve KW from misallocating funds. He had $4 million for 1 month of Manny after the draft. When he was busted and disgusted, he was able to get Peavy and Rios during the season and after the draft.

They claimed at the time this was money they "found". Was it money earmarked for draft picks they decidided against? We won't know that unless they come out and say it, but obviously there were funds available to go overslot if they chose. They didn't choose. When Borchard was there they spent big. Maybe that left a bad taste, but $4 million for one month of Manny was pretty sad.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 01:14 PM)

Did Kenny get a discount for Hawkins, Honel, Broadway, Borchard, Mitchell, et al? Can't remember.

Edited by oldsox

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 4, 2014 -> 03:03 PM)
But how does that absolve KW from misallocating funds. He had $4 million for 1 month of Manny after the draft. When he was busted and disgusted, he was able to get Peavy and Rios during the season and after the draft.

They claimed at the time this was money they "found". Was it money earmarked for draft picks they decidided against? We won't know that unless they come out and say it, but obviously there were funds available to go overslot if they chose. They didn't choose. When Borchard was there they spent big. Maybe that left a bad taste, but $4 million for one month of Manny was pretty sad.

He could have put any of the money into the draft at anytime. He didn't and basically spent it all on major leaguers.

So I'm kinda bored of talking about about the first round as nauseam, who is everybody's top 3 in the second round? I would love to see:

1.) AJ Reed

2.) Luke Weaver

3.) Michael Cederoth