2014 Draft class

caulfield12

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 02:27 PM)
What are the knocks on Gatewood? Every time I see a write-up, he sounds like a monster, yet some people are showing him falling to like 20.

High bust chance and signability issues seem to be the difficulties with him.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 02:27 PM)
What are the knocks on Gatewood? Every time I see a write-up, he sounds like a monster, yet some people are showing him falling to like 20.

He is 6'5'' 190 so very unlikely he will stay at SS. In his swing he takes a long stride with a exaggerated toe tap that will likely lead to a lot of K's. He has tremendous power and when he makes contact he hits the ball hard. Upside could be a 3B with 30-40 homers but downside is a strikeout king at AA. If we were picking in the teens or early 20's I'd be excited to take a chance on him, but at #3 I would pass.

Take this with a grain of salt of course, but some tidbits from Keith Law's chat today.

He doesn't believe Rodon is the "clear" 1-1 anymore and has been "passed by a few guys." He declined to mention specifics, citing his rankings being released next week, but said that you could make an argument for Kolek, Gatewood, Jackson, Hoffman, Beede.

His rationale is that his "fastball has been average, command average or a tick below, and he's not missing bats." Said that scouts/execs are "backing away from him."

As far as other top pitching prospects, he believes Hoffman is the best of the Beede, Hoffman, Kolek trio. Calls Hoffman a "plus plus athlete with easy velocity and the potential for a plus curveball." Says that Beede is the "safest" of the three and that Kolek a "monster."

Very down on Trea Turner. Said he has "no power, bad swing, not physical." No sure what not physical means, this isn't football or basketball.

Said that Gatewood has really improved his hit tool, using the whole field and showing a "more mature overall approach." Thinks he'll go top 5-6.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Mar 13, 2014 -> 01:07 PM)
Take this with a grain of salt of course, but some tidbits from Keith Law's chat today.

He doesn't believe Rodon is the "clear" 1-1 anymore and has been "passed by a few guys." He declined to mention specifics, citing his rankings being released next week, but said that you could make an argument for Kolek, Gatewood, Jackson, Hoffman, Beede.

His rationale is that his "fastball has been average, command average or a tick below, and he's not missing bats." Said that scouts/execs are "backing away from him."

As far as other top pitching prospects, he believes Hoffman is the best of the Beede, Hoffman, Kolek trio. Calls Hoffman a "plus plus athlete with easy velocity and the potential for a plus curveball." Says that Beede is the "safest" of the three and that Kolek a "monster."

Very down on Trea Turner. Said he has "no power, bad swing, not physical." No sure what not physical means, this isn't football or basketball.

Said that Gatewood has really improved his hit tool, using the whole field and showing a "more mature overall approach." Thinks he'll go top 5-6.

I'm guessing not physical would imply that he's primarily a guy that uses his arms to swing and generate power, which works now and then, but you need hip rotation. Compare Alexei Ramirez to Miguel Cabrera. About the only two guys I can think of that have generated plus power using primarily arms and wrists are Gary Sheffield and Alfonso Soriano.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 05:52 PM)
Another mediocre start for Hoffman

That's being kind. He was shelled.

Gotta believe he's on the brink of falling out of consideration at #3, barring a turnaround.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 06:13 PM)
Jeff Lockridge ‏@jefflockridge 33m

#Vandy's Tyler Beede hitting 95 and 96 on the radar gun vs #LSU leadoff man Andrew Stevenson

Those are numbers that will help his cause. May well not be available for us.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 06:01 PM)

Gotta believe he's on the brink of falling out of consideration at #3, barring a turnaround.

Only 3 of the runs were earned. Supposedly the victim of some absolutely brutal defense behind him. Not saying he had a fantastic start, but he wasn't dreadful.

Aaron Fitt ‏@aaronfitt 2h

Heard a scout behind me say of #ECU: "This is the worst defensive team I've seen all year, by far." Can't argue with him based on this look.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 07:01 PM)

Highly doubtful. Still projects as the best pitcher in the draft.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 08:01 PM)
Only 3 of the runs were earned.

5 ER according to the box.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Mar 14, 2014 -> 09:01 PM)
Highly doubtful. Still projects as the best pitcher in the draft.

Highly doubtful. Rodon, Beede, and Kolek, at a minimum, would be picked ahead of him if the draft were today.

Hoffman may turn it around, but you can expect quotes and articles very soon about him tumbling down draft boards. He'll still have plenty of fans, though.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 15, 2014 -> 07:11 AM)
5 ER according to the box.

Highly doubtful. Rodon, Beede, and Kolek, at a minimum, would be picked ahead of him if the draft were today.

Hoffman may turn it around, but you can expect quotes and articles very soon about him tumbling down draft boards. He'll still have plenty of fans, though.

This is not true. It's a projection business. Jeff Hoffman has the stuff and athletic profile to be an ace. Beede is safe which is fine as well. Kolek is awesome but already massive and his secondary stuff isn't great. Hoffman looks to have problems with his mechanics and repeating his delivery. That is a White Sox specialty. I would take Hoffman over Beede because of the stuff but if Hoffman is gone, Beede woudl be fine with me. Watch Jacob Gatewood as well though. The kid could be a superstar, franchise builder type.