http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/201...nt-longenecker/

Edited by DirtySox

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 01:03 PM)
Klaw (12:42 PM)

It depends on the cost, but if it's equal I'd take Rodon. Hoffman's a tremendous athlete with arm strength, but the secondary stuff isn't at all consistent and he needs a lot of work. Of course, Don Cooper will give him a cutter and he'll end up in the top 5 in Cy Young voting for 2016.

:lol:

I'll be fine with Hoffman or Rodon, but I really want Rodon if he actually slips to us.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 12:28 PM)
Untrained eye of course, but when I look at video tape Hoffman looks the best. Aiken is impressive as a HS, but that would be too big of a risk for this outfit.

Marty, I actually think that the 2 HS pitchers look the best. I would agree that they are the riskiest though. I would be perfectly fine drafting Jeff Hoffman #3 overall.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 02:06 PM)
I don't want Rodon if it costs the entire draft pool to sign him.

I continue to think "I'm going to go back to school for another year (and potentially delay my time before reaching free agency by a year) in order to get $8 million instead of $5.5 million in the draft" sounds absolutely crazy. I'm not sure I'd even want to draft a person thinking that in the top 5 because they're thinking like a person who will never make the big leagues.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 01:05 PM)
:lol:

I'll be fine with Hoffman or Rodon, but I really want Rodon if he actually slips to us.

I'm with you, but if they take Hoffman over Rodon if Rodon is still on the board, assuming everyone is healthy, I think is being silly. FWIW, Hahn said a couple weeks ago Rodon is the best college arm in the draft. I'm not too worried about not being able to spend an extra $500k on a 3rd round pick if it means the Sox get the best college arm in the draft. Go cheap on the second rounder if you need some cash for the later rounds.

I agree with Keith Law on this one, but as I stated before and will state often when someone wants to think Keith Law knows a lot more than anyone else, 2 players he said were mistakes by the White Sox when acquired were Chris Sale and Jose Abreu. Just keep that in mind when you think Law is half as bright about baseball as he thinks he is.

Edited by Dick Allen

Keth Law Chat included some White Sox tidbits.

Paul (Chicago)

If they draft were tomorrow how do you see the first 3 or 4 picks playing out?

Klaw (12:15 PM)

Aiken, Kolek, Hoffman, Rodon. I've heard the White Sox like Trea Turner more than most teams, but I wouldn't expect them to take him with every college arm still on the board.

Eric (Memphis)

If you were Rick Hahn, would you take Hoffman over Rodon (assuming Aiken and Kolek were already selected)?

It depends on the cost, but if it's equal I'd take Rodon. Hoffman's a tremendous athlete with arm strength, but the secondary stuff isn't at all consistent and he needs a lot of work. Of course, Don Cooper will give him a cutter and he'll end up in the top 5 in Cy Young voting for 2016.

Trea Turner at 1-3....nooooo thank you.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 01:18 PM)
I'm with you, but if they take Hoffman over Rodon if Rodon is still on the board, assuming everyone is healthy, I think is being silly. FWIW, Hahn said a couple weeks ago Rodon is the best college arm in the draft. I'm not too worried about not being able to spend an extra $500k on a 3rd round pick if it means the Sox get the best college arm in the draft. Go cheap on the second rounder if you need some cash for the later rounds.

As well, the projected WAR goes down dramatically for players drafted after the first round (actually goes down a ton in just the first round). If you can take the guy you think is the best player in the entire draft at number 3, you should just take him.

Keth Law Chat included some White Sox tidbits.

Paul (Chicago)

If they draft were tomorrow how do you see the first 3 or 4 picks playing out?

Klaw (12:15 PM)

Aiken, Kolek, Hoffman, Rodon. I've heard the White Sox like Trea Turner more than most teams, but I wouldn't expect them to take him with every college arm still on the board.

Eric (Memphis)

If you were Rick Hahn, would you take Hoffman over Rodon (assuming Aiken and Kolek were already selected)?

I read this earlier. Taking Trea Turner over any of the pitchers would be awful. I'd be so angry.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 12:22 PM)
BA has a draft update out now.

New Top 10:

1.) Aiken

2.) Kolek

3.) Rodon

4.) Jackson

5.) Hoffman

6.) Beede

7.) Nola

8.) Gordon

9.) Freeland

10.) Zimmer

Also a draft chat happening in a few hours. Feel free to submit questions:

Thats the worst case scenario for the Sox. Picking between Rodon and Hoffman is going to be extremely tough. I think in the end it will come down to contract demands.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 01:27 PM)
Thats the worst case scenario for the Sox. Picking between Rodon and Hoffman is going to be extremely tough. I think in the end it will come down to contract demands.

No, it's good. We want a college arm, preferably, and these guys both have ace upside. The choice will be difficult and may involve factors beyond ability, but I hope it doesn't - either way we're likely landing a stud.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

Alan (Chicago): Any inclination towards where the ChiSox are leaning with #3? Heard Hoffman plenty, but any chance they break the trend and go with a prep arm in Aiken/Kolek?

John Manuel: I haven't really started trying to match up players with teams yet. I know the White Sox love athleticism in their pitchers, and I know they have been here in NC a lot this spring due to Rodon, Hoffman and Trea Turner, so if they took any one of those three guys, it wouldn't surprise me. I think they would prefer Rodon over Hoffman. If you think a pitcher needs a mechanical tweak, Don Cooper and the White Sox want you.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 02:27 PM)

You think that would be worst case? Sox have usually shown a preference of college arms, it would be ideal in that case.

In a perfect world where contract demands aren't a factor (they are, but we don't know behind the scenes who is demanding or agreeing to what), my top five is Aiken, Rodon, Hoffman, Kolek, Beede.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 02:46 PM)
With Garcia's injury they may now need to take a potential elite bat like Jackson. Buy the pitching.

No rational front office makes draft decisions based on one injury on the major league team. Any bat the Sox draft would take at least three to four years to make an impact and by then Garcia will have been healed long ago.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 12:22 PM)
BA has a draft update out now.

New Top 10:

1.) Aiken

2.) Kolek

3.) Rodon

4.) Jackson

5.) Hoffman

6.) Beede

7.) Nola

8.) Gordon

9.) Freeland

10.) Zimmer

Also a draft chat happening in a few hours. Feel free to submit questions:

From the chat -

Greg (Phoenix, AZ): Hey Guys, if Rodon's stock slips, is there still a guy out there strong enough to knock him down from his potential #1 slot? Even if he has an average year, his prior 2 years make him tough to beat. Thoughts? Thanks, Greg

John Manuel: There's no if; Rodon's stock has slipped. He just hasn't been as explosive this year. We believe Brady Aiken and Tyler Kolek have nudged past him on this draft board, and if it weren't for those two prior years, Rodon likely would rank lower. I've just had too many scouts tell me they have top men, as Indians Jones fans would say, running back in to see Rodon this time of year because he may be available after the top pick or two, whereas early in the season, scouts were rushing in to see him to "do their due diligence," thinking he would go 1 or 2 and be off the board and they wouldn't have to worry about seeing him again. Maybe you didn't get a chance to view the list. It's here: http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/201...chers-dominate/

Zack (Calgary): Does Aiken have more potential than Rodon after Carlos' recent back to earth performances?

John Manuel: He has plenty of potential; not sure he has more if you believe in Rodon's knack for pitching and strike-throwing ability. His delivery just makes it a lot harder for him, at this time, to throw quality fastball strikes. If you believe you can get him doing that on a consistent basis, I believe his pitches have higher grades than Aiken. But Aiken has precocious fastball command, impressive work ethic ... similar stuff, the body has gotten better and better pitchability.

Alan (Chicago): Any inclination towards where the ChiSox are leaning with #3? Heard Hoffman plenty, but any chance they break the trend and go with a prep arm in Aiken/Kolek?

John Manuel: I haven't really started trying to match up players with teams yet. I know the White Sox love athleticism in their pitchers, and I know they have been here in NC a lot this spring due to Rodon, Hoffman and Trea Turner, so if they took any one of those three guys, it wouldn't surprise me. I think they would prefer Rodon over Hoffman. If you think a pitcher needs a mechanical tweak, Don Cooper and the White Sox want you.

Sang (Chicago): Is Beede a future ace or is he closer to a #2 pitcher? Is there a MLB pitcher that he resembles?

John Manuel: Feels like more of a No. 3 type, an A.J. Burnett type in that he has front-line stuff without No. 1 or No. 2 command. I was stunned to learn that his start last Friday at Tennessee was the first time he's gone 8 innings in three seasons. He was SEC pitcher of the year last year and still never was efficient enough to go more than 7 innings. His control has improved this year but he doesn't have front-of-the-rotation command.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 02:46 PM)
With Garcia's injury they may now need to take a potential elite bat like Jackson. Buy the pitching.

Alex Jackson is by no means a replacement for Avisail Garcia, especially given the time table. Jackson is in high school.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 02:47 PM)
You think that would be worst case? Sox have usually shown a preference of college arms, it would be ideal in that case.

In a perfect world where contract demands aren't a factor (they are, but we don't know behind the scenes who is demanding or agreeing to what), my top five is Aiken, Rodon, Hoffman, Kolek, Beede.

I meant worst case as in hardest decision to make, if one was off the board it would be a slam dunk.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 02:53 PM)
I meant worst case as in hardest decision to make, if one was off the board it would be a slam dunk.

Oh gotcha. I think it will be a tough decision either way, the HS kids are making a pretty compelling case as well...

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 02:51 PM)
No rational front office makes draft decisions based on one injury on the major league team. Any bat the Sox draft would take at least three to four years to make an impact and by then Garcia will have been healed long ago.

It's a bad injury, happening to his lead shoulder like that . . . I think you have to proceed with this rebuilding as if he's not going to be what was hoped.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 03:24 PM)
It's a bad injury, happening to his lead shoulder like that . . . I think you have to proceed with this rebuilding as if he's not going to be what was hoped.

Which has virtually zero to do with taking a high school position player in the first round of the draft.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 02:59 PM)
Oh gotcha. I think it will be a tough decision either way, the HS kids are making a pretty compelling case as well...

Yes, but up until last year I would have said no way for a HS pitcher, but with the Sox taking Danish so early they may have changed their tune on drafting HS pitchers early. Aiken would be really intriguing, but I doubt he lasts til 3 anymore.