2014 Draft class

caulfield12

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 03:42 PM)
I can see how one can get useful info but the social media thing just isn't me. I made an account last year that lasted about 30 minutes and deleted it. Started getting tweet updates from people I didnt follow and it instantly annoyed me right away.

How were you getting tweet from people you don't follow? Me thinks you must have had something odd with your settings.

ESPN's Draft blog is up.

On Hoffman:

""He looks like a solid back-end starter to me," an AL West scout said. There's nothing wrong with that, but if you saw him over the summer you'd be disappointed with that prognosis. The slider/curve just isn't an out pitch like it was in the Cape Cod League, and without that, I don't see a guy worth a top ten pick.""

Aaron Nola

""The command [for Nola] today was exceptional," an NL East scout said. "He located his fastball and breaking ball pretty much wherever he wanted today outside of the two leadoff walks in the second and seventh. I'm still not sure how well he's going to do verse quality left handed hitters, but when you're placing the ball where you want it may not matter.""

Beede

"Most scouts I've talked to believe that Beede is still No. 2 on the collegiate pitching board, but Nola and Hoffman both have a chance to pass him with strong finishes to their respective seasons."

Says Aiken has is cementing himself as the consensus 1-1 pick. ""At some point you run out of superlatives [about Aiken]," an NL crosschecker said. "The kid just knows how to pitch, and I love the delivery. It's been a long time since we've seen a prep pitcher go first overall, but I really think this could be the year." "

Alex Jackson - ""I think Jackson is the best hitter in the class," an NL scout said. "He had some timing issues early in the year, but he's impressed me with the way he's made adjustments. I think you're looking at a guy who can hit .300 and give you 25-30 homers during his best seasons, and I don't see any other hitter with that kind of potential this season at either the college or high school level. I think he's going to end up in right field, and he should be an All-Star there." '

Man, people all over the board in their assessments of Hoffman and Beede.

Everyone's so worried about Rodon and picking apart his weaknesses, it starts to become more and more logical to think about taking him.

You certainly don't take a pitcher at 3 who's more likely to be a 5 than a 1. Of course, a LOT of scouts believe Hoffman has the ability to be lot more than that with the proper coaching and mechanical tweaks.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 03:56 PM)
How were you getting tweet from people you don't follow? Me thinks you must have had something odd with your settings.

Not sure to be honest. Even my lady didn't understand it at the time and she's been on twitter for a while now. I admit I get easily annoyed with social media sites. I have a face plant account under a fake name just to find new bands and keep up with them. Even friends and family don't know I'm on their or it would turn into an episode of South Park.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 04:20 PM)
It's really just going to come down to which pitcher our staff feels like it can work with best. No matter which one they grab, it's going to be an easily defensible choice at the time.

The b**** of it is that no matter who's drafted, some will be pleased and some will complain. Understandable since at this point there's no clear and concise 1-3. Hopefully things become more clear between now and draft day.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 04:43 PM)
Is it just me or does Hoffman seem even riskier than Aiken and Kolek?

No, I feel the same way about Hoffman. Also with Rodon and Beede as well. The college pitchers just aren't standing out as a guys like Rodon and Hoffman once did, the college field seems to have leveled out with no clear cut leader(s).

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 04:43 PM)
Is it just me or does Hoffman seem even riskier than Aiken and Kolek?

Maybe riskier than Aiken, but in no way riskier than Kolek. Every time I see the videos of him pitching I think Bobby Jenks 2.0. Aiken is probably out of the discussion for the Sox now though as chances are he will be off the board before the Sox pick at 3.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)
I'd rather have Hoffman at slot value or just under than Rodon at overslot $$.

Maybe so. But I just look at his numbers and see 5Ks, 8 hits over 6 or 7 innings against decent (and some not so decent) C-USA teams. Elite starter? And I follow C-USA baseball. I guess I ought to read the scouting reports and see what the deal is.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 06:00 PM)
I came across this article that states Rick Hahn was recently at one of Kolek's games to watch him in person, seems like there is some serious interest in Kolek on the Sox' end.

Funny you post this article, I just read it a few hours ago while trying to find out how Kolek pitched in his last outing. Would absolutely love to see the Sox draft the big right hander and would fit well between Sale and Q in the rotation a few years down the road.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 12:09 AM)
Man, we are all going to be so mad when the Sox take Trea Turner in 6 weeks.

I'd be ok with it, but I can't see it happening. I think I'd be more upset if they took Beede over Rodon, Aiken and Kolek.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 04:08 PM)
Funny you post this article, I just read it a few hours ago while trying to find out how Kolek pitched in his last outing. Would absolutely love to see the Sox draft the big right hander and would fit well between Sale and Q in the rotation a few years down the road.

Great minds... :D

I'd be happy if Hahn chose Kolek, my only concern about him is his weight since he's already the size of a mountain. His work ethic and dedication to conditioning will be the key determinants in whether his weight will be an issue down the road which is something that can only be gauged by meeting with him one on one. Bobby Jenks could've had a long and prosperous career in the majors if he would've dedicated himself to getting in shape, he didn't have the work ethic or will power to do that and the Sox were smart enough to see that and let him walk. Having gone through that I'm sure the Sox can get a good sense of this kid's character and whether he'll have what it takes to succeed.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 06:28 PM)
Well if they take Turner, they would be taking him over 3 of Beede, Rodon, Aiken, Kolen, Hoffman, and that would make me and others irate.

You can throw me into that mix chili. I would be far beyond irate to say the least. Not worried though, I just can't see the Sox not selecting a pitcher @ #3.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 06:30 PM)
Great minds... :D

I'd be happy if Hahn chose Kolek, my only concern about him is his weight since he's already the size of a mountain. His work ethic and dedication to conditioning will be the key determinants in whether his weight will be an issue down the road which is something that can only be gauged by meeting with him one on one. Bobby Jenks could've had a long and prosperous career in the majors if he would've dedicated himself to getting in shape, he didn't have the work ethic or will power to do that and the Sox were smart enough to see that and let him walk. Having gone through that I'm sure the Sox can get a good sense of this kid's character and whether he'll have what it takes to succeed.

Indeed. :D

I see how there is concern but from what I've read, Kolek grew up on a farm so the work ethic is there. I think a big part of Jenks weight problems was as you said, his lack of work ethic, conditioning as well as his love for beer. Gotta watch them carbs! Lol. I really think Kolek will be fine. Kids that grow up on farms tend to have a solid work ethic since it was pretty much ingrained in them from having chores that needed to be done on a daily basis.

What I like most is his big frame which COULD help his long term durability. The kid really is a monster!

The HS kids are looking better and better as time goes on. But if we are honest with ourselves some of that has to do with the scrutiny the college guys are under. I've read at least 7-8 different updating scouting reports on Hoffman, Rodon, and Beede as the season has gone on and maybe 1 or 2 of Aiken and Kolek. It's true the college guys don't seem to be dominating like they should, but it's a lot projection, not so much stats.

I honestly would not be upset with any of those five guys I've mentioned, just excited to hear the reasons why the Sox took them and happy to end the speculation and have them in the organization. It' like Christmas morning, you drive yourself nuts over the anticipation and unveiling more so than the actual gift.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 07:37 PM)
6 weeks to go. When do our draft gurus speculate on whe Sox pick for Round 2? Pick #39, I believe.

44th pick. Super hard to pinpoint a second rounder unless you have some connections on who the Sox like. (Hi Bucket/Rock). I'd love to see Kodi Medeiros fall into our lap. I'd wager hes a late 1st round pick though. Other players I personally like include Alex Verdugo, Luke Weaver, Luis Ortiz, Mac Marshall, Matt Imhof and especially Jacob Bukauskas. This draft is super deep with pitching.

Edited by DirtySox