2014 Draft class

caulfield12

So serious question. If "My agent is Scott Boras" is legitimately pushing a guy down in the draft, why on Earth would a high draft pick use Scott Boras as his agent? You could switch to Boras before you get to free agency if you really want to follow that biggest money possible path, and you're costing yourself several million dollars if you could be a #1 pick and you go#3.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisMLB 10m

As of now, Rodon. @DSZero: If Rodon and Hoffman are both there at #3, who do @WhiteSox take? #DraftPipeline

Interesting

Lefty dominated rotation. I wouldn't mind.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 07:46 PM)
So serious question. If "My agent is Scott Boras" is legitimately pushing a guy down in the draft, why on Earth would a high draft pick use Scott Boras as his agent? You could switch to Boras before you get to free agency if you really want to follow that biggest money possible path, and you're costing yourself several million dollars if you could be a #1 pick and you go#3.

regardless of where he is pick, boras will ask for his value and not where he was pick. boras has done this already, with other

other picks.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 01:46 PM)

Because someone will pay it. He just has to find the right sucker and he will have convinced the player and their parents of this.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 03:09 PM)
Because someone will pay it. He just has to find the right sucker and he will have convinced the player and their parents of this.

The last part, absolutely. With the new draft rules, they really can't "just pay it" anymore, unless you are talking about once in a generation talent, the price is too high to into the penalty phases of the MLB draft.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
regardless of where he is pick, boras will ask for his value and not where he was pick. boras has done this already, with other

other picks.

But he simply can't. You can't get around the new draft spending rules that easily any more. If he falls 1 spot because of Boras, he either goes back to school another year, potentially costing himself millions down the road, or he gets drafted 1 spot later, costing him well over $1 million right away.

If he falls past the first few picks, then there becomes literally no reason to draft him because he coudln't be signed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 08:44 PM)
But he simply can't. You can't get around the new draft spending rules that easily any more. If he falls 1 spot because of Boras, he either goes back to school another year, potentially costing himself millions down the road, or he gets drafted 1 spot later, costing him well over $1 million right away.

If he falls past the first few picks, then there becomes literally no reason to draft him because he coudln't be signed.

drafting and giving over-slot money is there and been done. per the CBA

after the first 10 rounds, bonuses of overslot count against the budget of the first 10 rounds --

there are ways to work around the former issue. Even though it's the first year of the new draft

rules, there were already multiple organizations finding creative ways to redistribute the risk and

money allotted to them.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 05:03 PM)

after the first 10 rounds, bonuses of overslot count against the budget of the first 10 rounds --

there are ways to work around the former issue. Even though it's the first year of the new draft

rules, there were already multiple organizations finding creative ways to redistribute the risk and

money allotted to them.

For a few hundred thousand dollars yes. For a contract equivalent to the entire draft allotment for the team with the #4 pick, the math flat out does not work.

(Also the bolded text with no link that I can't find anywhere by doing a google search doesn't help much)

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 04:03 PM)

money allotted to them.

But they still haven't come up with a way to get around going over your draft allotment. The first pick slot is $7,922,100. The White Sox total for all draft picks has to be under $9,509,700. So if the Sox were to draft Rodon, and give him #1 pick money, they would have about $1.6 million to spend on the entire rest of their draft picks, otherwise they would face the following sanctions. $1.6 million would get the Sox something like their second round pick and their 5th round pick, and no other signings over $100,000.

0- 5% over- 75% tax on the overage

5- 10% over- 75 % tax on the overage and loss of the team’s first round pick the next year

10- 15% over- 100% tax on the overage and loss of the team’s first and second round picks next year

More than 15% over- 100% tax on the overage, and loss of the first round picks in the next two years’ drafts

In theory, they could go up to $9,985,184.99 and just pay a tax. That amounts to about an extra $450,000, or about the price of a 4th round draft pick. After that, they are giving up draft picks, and that won't happen.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 09:12 PM)
But they still haven't come up with a way to get around going over your draft allotment. The first pick slot is $7,922,100. The White Sox total for all draft picks has to be under $9,509,700. So if the Sox were to draft Rodon, and give him #1 pick money, they would have about $1.6 million to spend on the entire rest of their draft picks, otherwise they would face the following sanctions. $1.6 million would get the Sox something like their second round pick and their 5th round pick, and no other signings over $100,000.

In theory, they could go up to $9,985,184.99 and just pay a tax. That amounts to about an extra $450,000, or about the price of a 4th round draft pick. After that, they are giving up draft picks, and that won't happen.

but when you have a boras client, boras is going to try to max his salary.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 04:12 PM)

This is well explained. It's almost impossible to give Rodon 1-1 money if you aren't picking 1st overall. If that is what he wants and Houston doesn't bite, I think he ends up going to back to NC State.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 01:16 PM)
This is well explained. It's almost impossible to give Rodon 1-1 money if you aren't picking 1st overall. If that is what he wants and Houston doesn't bite, I think he ends up going to back to NC State.

Even after the way he was used this year?

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 09:41 AM)
Even after the way he was used this year?

I would agree with you that he should take the money and go pro. What I am arguing is that if he wants 1-1 money from a different team he will end up going back to school because it won't happen.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 09:22 AM)
I agree with both of you. I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong, that Boras won't disclose his client's contract demands until he is selected. So if he doesn't go to Houston it'll be interesting to see how how it plays out. Does Boras end up playing ball? If you know anything about Rodon's personality you would think he wants to go pro. I would hope 1-3 money and a promise to get him to the bigs on the fast track would lure Rodon into our grasp.

Can anyone comment on Miami and Rodon? I'm sure they have been out there scouting him but if Houston does take one of the HS arms, what does Miami do? It really seems like the media is playing it as it's either Houston or the Cubbies for Rodon.

Looking at the way reasonable folks are discussing Rodon's situation in this draft, I can't imagine that having it known that you're Boras-advised does anything to enhance your draft position/initial $ potential. Much better to hire him, or anyone, right after the draft, I would think. Each position he tumbles, makes it that much more of a stretch for the next team to come up with the money through mortgaging numerous other picks. And if he turns out to be everything you dreamed, he'll never sign a security (donut) contract, so there's that, which is likely important to a long-term-rebuild franchise like the Astros, for instance.

If he won't play ball financially with a fast-track possibility dangling, he's a tool and a fool. Going back to a college program that's riding him til his back breaks like the 3 Stooges horse has to be his worst nightmare, and no real leverage, as it only delays his acquisition of wealth and puts the whole thing at risk, needlessly.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 06:22 AM)
So every top tier starter has missed a couple starts due to an injury this season?

I mean if he comes out and ruins everyone from now until the draft and says nothing hurts and you believe him, sure. But if there are any question marks at all, I'm looking elsewhere. Just IMO, I guess.

I didn't say this season. I said at some point in time in their careers leading up to this. Whether late in high school or in college. I bet the percentage is extremely significant, then go the majors and take them through the minor leagues and that is again similar.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 11:46 AM)

Well, he does have a pretty good track record of getting his top guys big money. That said, I think any time you end up not signing in the draft and going back (when you are a top pick) you are making a bad decision.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 10:22 AM)
I agree with both of you. I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong, that Boras won't disclose his client's contract demands until he is selected. So if he doesn't go to Houston it'll be interesting to see how how it plays out. Does Boras end up playing ball? If you know anything about Rodon's personality you would think he wants to go pro. I would hope 1-3 money and a promise to get him to the bigs on the fast track would lure Rodon into our grasp.

Can anyone comment on Miami and Rodon? I'm sure they have been out there scouting him but if Houston does take one of the HS arms, what does Miami do? It really seems like the media is playing it as it's either Houston or the Cubbies for Rodon.

I would suppose that it's possible because Miami has the most money to spend. I have only really seen them linked to HS arms and Kolek in particular. Interesting scenarios for the Sox all around. I don't think anyone should be really upset about taking Kolek, Rodon, Hoffman, or Aiken honestly. If they decided to go with Alex Jackson I wouldn't even hate that. Something like Beede or Turner would drive me insane but I just can't see that happening. If Houston takes Rodon, Sox will be choosing between 1 of the HS arms and Hoffman. If the Astros take one of the HS arms, the Sox will most likely be choosing between Hoffman or Rodon. Should be interesting either way.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 01:19 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 8m

Our Draft experts take their First-round guesses: @jimcallisMLB says Tyler Kolek, @JonathanMayoB3 says Jeff Hoffman.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...rticle_73746266

Yeah I was just going to post the same piece. This is also the Top 100 Draft Prospects from MLB.com

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2014/#list=draft