caulfield12

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jake @ May 23, 2014 -> 09:01 AM)
Something to think about re: college pitcher pitch counts - they throw every 7th day, the majority of the time. We've seen durability from Japanese pitchers who threw a lot of pitches on a similarly long-rested schedule

But there's the theory that damage is done when pitchers are "under stress," right? So under that line of thinking, you'd rather someone pitch more frequently and never get tired than having someone pitch into the red zone and then rest a lot.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 22, 2014 -> 09:20 PM)
I wouldn't be pissed off about Nola - he's Wacha-esque to me in that nobody sees the upside in him because of how high his floor is.

I've never seen this kid, but that name popped into my head because every said the same things about him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2014 -> 10:41 AM)
I've never seen this kid, but that name popped into my head because every said the same things about him.

Wacha also saw his velocity increase by a couple MPH. Wacha's velocity in college was like 88-92 while he's averaging 93+ in the majors. He's the exception to the rule.

I haven't seen any of his starts either, but the name that pops into my mind when I hear high floor but better stuff than you think is Mike Leake.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2014 -> 10:43 AM)
There is no doubt it would be. Would it be worth an extra $500k or million dollars to spread around the draft board?

A kid who didn't sign with Toronto out of HS as a 2nd round pick would no doubt sign for $500K-$1mil under slot? I'm not so sure about that.

In the Keith Law chat. In case you were wondering about Alex Jackson to the Sox.

Rob (Lime Rock, CT)

I saw one mock with the White Sox choosing Alex Jackson, but you have mentioned they are all in on one of the three pitchers. Who do you see them leaning towards at this point? Thanks

Klaw (2:18 PM)

Pitchers. I think there's zero chance they take Jackson. Only hearing them really on Kolek and Nola right now.

Also Law's thoughts on Kolek's injury concerns.

nick (weed,CA)

When I see Kolek I see a guy destined for TJ. Everything he throws is max effort, does this thought scare teams away?

Klaw (2:20 PM)

Completely disagree on the max-effort part.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ May 23, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)
Also Law's thoughts on Kolek's injury concerns.

nick (weed,CA)

When I see Kolek I see a guy destined for TJ. Everything he throws is max effort, does this thought scare teams away?

Klaw (2:20 PM)

Completely disagree on the max-effort part.

So you're saying it's 99% sure he's going to the White Sox?

QUOTE (fathom @ May 23, 2014 -> 01:52 PM)
Law went on to say that Nola might have 70 fastball command right now, and wouldn't be a bad pick at 3.

Given the upside that is available at #3, I would be very disappointed in Nola, I would rather take Hoffman even with the TJ if the team has an inclination to go under slot.

Callis thinks Rodon is No. 1 on the Sox Big Board:

3. White Sox: Carlos Rodon, LHP, North Carolina State

Chicago almost certainly will take a pitcher, with a preference for college arms and Rodon No. 1 on its list. If Rodon is gone, the White Sox could pass on Aiken and Kolek and opt for Louisiana State right-hander Aaron Nola.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/mock-d...p;vkey=news_mlb

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 23, 2014 -> 09:24 PM)
*gulp*

EDIT: referring to passing on Aiken for Nola

At this point, I would be surprised if they took Aiken over Nola. I just noticed how bad Trey Ball has been this season, which is a lefty high school pitcher that supposedly were interested in last year.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 23, 2014 -> 03:44 PM)
Board survey time....who is your wish list for the 3rd pick?

Fathom's Sure To Be Wrong Wish List (I was against drafting Wacha and Trout, but loved the Beckham pick)

1. Rodon

2. Nola

3. Aiken

1.) Rodon

2.) Aiken

3.) Nola

I want Aiken to be there and the Sox to take him. After that, I think I want Nola at a discount.

Rodon and Kolek both really scare me. Rodon because he may be overrated, and Kolek because of the youth/power combo--will the elbow blow out fast and can he throw a mix of pitches for strikes.

It's an interesting year.

So--Aiken, Nola, Rodon.

And with that--I'm sure we'll have a good laugh at all of this a couple years from now.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ May 23, 2014 -> 09:02 PM)
I want Aiken to be there and the Sox to take him. After that, I think I want Nola at a discount.

Rodon and Kolek both really scare me. Rodon because he may be overrated, and Kolek because of the youth/power combo--will the elbow blow out fast and can he throw a mix of pitches for strikes.

It's an interesting year.

So--Aiken, Nola, Rodon.

And with that--I'm sure we'll have a good laugh at all of this a couple years from now.

For my sanity, hopefully we get a better player than the Cubs :)

QUOTE (fathom @ May 23, 2014 -> 04:04 PM)
For my sanity, hopefully we get a better player than the Cubs :)

That's a good point.

It would be easier to take the Cubs ending up with a better player if the Sox were at 3, and the Cubs were at 11 or something. Them being at 4 adds to the pressure--although it shouldn't.