2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ May 23, 2014 -> 03:44 PM)
Board survey time....who is your wish list for the 3rd pick?

Fathom's Sure To Be Wrong Wish List (I was against drafting Wacha and Trout, but loved the Beckham pick)

1. Rodon

2. Nola

3. Aiken

Join pretty much every Major League Baseball team. Ha.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (flavum @ May 23, 2014 -> 04:10 PM)
That's a good point.

It would be easier to take the Cubs ending up with a better player if the Sox were at 3, and the Cubs were at 11 or something. Them being at 4 adds to the pressure--although it shouldn't.

Cubs are said to be all over Max Pentecost going way underslot to boost the rest of their picks in the top 5.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 23, 2014 -> 09:20 PM)
Cubs are said to be all over Max Pentecost going way underslot to boost the rest of their picks in the top 5.

now that it's being talked about, esp with the mlb rumors board mentioning it..... my take.

I wamted another pitcher before, but since he got hurt I mention that Max Pentecost would be a good pick. esp on the

savings we will get as an under slot player. now if Aiken is not there at 3, pick Pentecost and roll with it. the other players

that I mention several weeks ago are good picks, but they are high schoolers. with the savings we can do over slot

signing on some other good players later.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 23, 2014 -> 11:53 PM)
Nola over Aiken would be a nightmare scenario. God I hope that doesn't happen.

Agreed. My preference is:

1. Aiken

2. Rodon

3a. Nola under-slot

3b. Kolek

Such an interesting choice between Nola or Kolek. Nola seems like a surefire #3-4 starter in 1-2 years, which would fit nicely into our "reload not rebuild" plan. Kolek would be a swing for the fences in 3-5 years type of pick. But after typing this, I am realizing why Nola/Rodon makes so much sense for the Sox.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 24, 2014 -> 12:30 PM)

Not sure why a writer covering the Charlotte Knights would have better sources than MLB, ESPN, and BA's guys but stranger things have happened.

It makes all the sense in the world for the Sox to acquire a college starter. There is less chance of busting, and I believe they want sure impact from this pick rather than a lottery ticket. Earlier I was rooting for Rodon to go before us, but it seems like he's their clear #1 so hope he falls. If you would of told me six months ago we could draft Carlos Rodon I would be doing backflips so yeah let's make it happen.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 24, 2014 -> 01:13 PM)
Has he been moving up draft boards? I'm still hoping for one of Aiken or Rodon.

Yeah I would be pretty pissed/shocked if they selected Pentecost. If they wanted to go hitter, which I don't think they should, then go for Alex Jackson.

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 2m

#WhiteSox taking NC State's Carlos Rodon w/ 1st per several pubs. @BaseballAmerica also lists LSU's Aaron Nola. Kenny, Jerry saw him Thurs.

1. Aiken

2. Jackson

So that leaves us with Rodon? :)

QUOTE (southside hitman @ May 24, 2014 -> 01:15 PM)
Yeah I would be pretty pissed/shocked if they selected Pentecost. If they wanted to go hitter, which I don't think they should, then go for Alex Jackson.

I actually like Pentecost, though 3 would be an overdraft. I still think he's going to go rather early in an under-slot selection due to the lack of true catchers and college bats overall. None of his tools grade out remarkably but they are all at least average. Combine that with solid defensive ability and he's a legitimate top 15 guy.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 23, 2014 -> 03:44 PM)

Fathom's Sure To Be Wrong Wish List (I was against drafting Wacha and Trout, but loved the Beckham pick)

1. Rodon

2. Nola

3. Aiken

1. Rodon

2. Aiken

3. Jackson

4. Nola

5. Kolek

QUOTE (fathom @ May 23, 2014 -> 01:44 PM)

1. Aiken

2. Rodon

3. Jackson

4. Nola

5. Freeland

6. Kolek

Kolek seems like a Tommy John waiting to happen and not sure he'll keep the weight off of his frame as he matures. I know the Sox won't take Jackson but I think he'll turn out to be a very good pro.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ May 24, 2014 -> 03:04 PM)
1. Aiken

2. Rodon

3. Jackson

4. Nola

5. Freeland

6. Kolek

Kolek seems like a Tommy John waiting to happen and not sure he'll keep the weight off of his frame as he matures. I know the Sox won't take Jackson but I think he'll turn out to be a very good pro.

Any pitcher is a Tommy John waiting to happen.