2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 29, 2014 -> 12:01 PM)
You can't roll the dice with Hoffman. I think they said last night the full recovery rate of TJ surgery right now is 90%. You can't bet the ranch he will be a stud to begin with and he won't be one of the 10%.

Ironically, if they were drafting where they normally draft, it could be a good role of the dice.

There is probably a less than 40% chance that any of the pitchers reach their ceilings, if you can get the guy you originally wanted and add two more 1st round caliber players later in the draft, like Kodi Medeiros and Jacob Gatewood, I would take that as a win.

Edit: I don't think this is the path the Sox will take, but I think that it should at least be in the discussion. I prefer Aiken to anyone in the draft followed by Jackson and then could care less who they take if those two are gone.

Edited by IowaSoxFan

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 29, 2014 -> 02:37 PM)
There is probably a less than 40% chance that any of the pitchers reach their ceilings, if you can get the guy you originally wanted and add two more 1st round caliber players later in the draft, like Kodi Medeiros and Jacob Gatewood, I would take that as a win.

Edit: I don't think this is the path the Sox will take, but I think that it should at least be in the discussion. I prefer Aiken to anyone in the draft followed by Jackson and then could care less who they take if those two are gone.

It's almost a certainty that when the 2nd round pick comes there will be a 15-25 range guy available with the ceiling of an above average starter either in the field or on the mound. If that guy would ordinarily go to school, well, money leftover from #1 could seriously change things. Then in Round 3 there will be a few guys who should have gone in Round 2, and so on.

I definitely agree on Aiken though, but I don't think he's there. He'll be gone by the time we pick IMO.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 29, 2014 -> 02:10 PM)
The rate from the first TJ is that high, but the rate from the second TJ is absolutely horrible. If a guy has one and doesn't significantly change his mechanics, he's a safe bet to need another at some point. The sooner he has one, the sooner he has another.

The normal act of pitching on anyone with any mechanics can and likely will lead to TJ for most players. If the Sox feel Hoffman's mechanics are clean and the need for TJ is just a normal wear and tear event, then you don't immediately suspect another TJ is on the horizon.

Similarly, just because you take another "healthy" pitcher who also seems to have fairly clean mechanics doesn't mean he'll even make it to arb before getting hurt.

And in theory, you'd rather have the TJ stuff come at a time when a player isn't accruing MLB service time and isn't taking up option years.

I think the idea of injury = bad mechanics = likely follow-up injury isn't really how it works.

PTATC should come in here and talk more about this. He is our Medical Steverson, or Health Steverson, etc. Arm Steverson.

Edit: also I downloaded a penis enlargement program I'm at a solid 8 but was thinking about trying some techniques to get that sucker up to about 11" or so, was wondering if PTATC has any info on proper enlargement practices & so on. Thanks I'll hang up and listen.

Edited by The Ultimate Champion

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 29, 2014 -> 02:37 PM)

I still hope the Sox get Rodon. Last seasons losing was the Rodon Sweepstakes. He wasn't injured. His offseason routine did change and he struggled out of the gate. He was getting dominant again. If the Sox get him, I believe we will all be happy they did 4 or 5 years from now. The others, I'm not so sure.

Josh Johnson had an excellent career overall in his Marlins days. I'll take that exact same thing from whoever the Sox get a #3. We should be looking for a guy who can get through the minors and put in 6 years, not hope on a 15-year career and so on.

As far as Hudson, no TJ before the draft. Mechanics didn't look all that great to the Sox, that's the rumor anyway. 2 TJ surgeries after being traded to AZ.

Not sure how any of this applies to Hoffman.

From what I gather, the act of pitching alone, regardless of mechanics, will lead to TJ in a large number of cases. Recovery should go well. If the Sox liked Hoffman's mechanics before then I'm not sure how you would look at him as a candidate for a second TJ immediately thereafter.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ May 29, 2014 -> 05:51 PM)
Josh Johnson had an excellent career overall in his Marlins days. I'll take that exact same thing from whoever the Sox get a #3. We should be looking for a guy who can get through the minors and put in 6 years, not hope on a 15-year career and so on.

As far as Hudson, no TJ before the draft. Mechanics didn't look all that great to the Sox, that's the rumor anyway. 2 TJ surgeries after being traded to AZ.

Not sure how any of this applies to Hoffman.

From what I gather, the act of pitching alone, regardless of mechanics, will lead to TJ in a large number of cases. Recovery should go well. If the Sox liked Hoffman's mechanics before then I'm not sure how you would look at him as a candidate for a second TJ immediately thereafter.

The point is that if you have one TJ, you've just moved up your timeline for a second. And almost (if not literally) no one has come back effective form the 2nd TJ.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 29, 2014 -> 06:54 PM)
The point is that if you have one TJ, you've just moved up your timeline for a second. And almost (if not literally) no one has come back effective form the 2nd TJ.

Okay but is this really a fair thing to assume? What % of pitchers have to get a second TJ within a few years of the first?

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ May 29, 2014 -> 07:02 PM)
Okay but is this really a fair thing to assume? What % of pitchers have to get a second TJ within a few years of the first?

There definitely aren't enough cases to actually make an argument. Cory Luebke and Daniel Hudson jump to mind.

But either way, even it's not likely it'll happen within a few years, it's still true that you essentially lost a safety net. Like if Chris Sale had TJ, we'd all be really bummed, but not THAT bummed because we're pretty sure that we'll just lose a year and it'll be alright. But if we get Hoffman, say he pitches 2 years in the minors, then we have six years of him. For an eight year period, if TJ hits him, he's essentially done.

This risk is maybe worth it if he's the consensus top talent in the draft, but he's not. Some didn't even think he was the top tier before his injury.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 29, 2014 -> 07:10 PM)
There definitely aren't enough cases to actually make an argument. Cory Luebke and Daniel Hudson jump to mind.

But either way, even it's not likely it'll happen within a few years, it's still true that you essentially lost a safety net. Like if Chris Sale had TJ, we'd all be really bummed, but not THAT bummed because we're pretty sure that we'll just lose a year and it'll be alright. But if we get Hoffman, say he pitches 2 years in the minors, then we have six years of him. For an eight year period, if TJ hits him, he's essentially done.

This risk is maybe worth it if he's the consensus top talent in the draft, but he's not. Some didn't even think he was the top tier before his injury.

Okay I get what you're saying now.

My whole thing on Hoffman though is just under the assumption that this was the guy the Sox wanted. No matter what happens I would like to see upside & I would like to see them get the guy they want. Ex, if they wanted Hoffman #1 but Aiken & Rodon close #2, Kolek distant #3 or something, then take Aiken or Rodon if they're there, but if not, go get Hoffman, don't be a-scared, buy a dog if you're a-scared.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ May 29, 2014 -> 06:15 PM)
Okay I get what you're saying now.

My whole thing on Hoffman though is just under the assumption that this was the guy the Sox wanted. No matter what happens I would like to see upside & I would like to see them get the guy they want. Ex, if they wanted Hoffman #1 but Aiken & Rodon close #2, Kolek distant #3 or something, then take Aiken or Rodon if they're there, but if not, go get Hoffman, don't be a-scared, buy a dog if you're a-scared.

Yeah, if they think he's the consensus top guy, that's when you consider it. If they think someone else is even close though, I say you gotta get the healthy guy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 29, 2014 -> 03:19 PM)
I still hope the Sox get Rodon. Last seasons losing was the Rodon Sweepstakes. He wasn't injured. His offseason routine did change and he struggled out of the gate. He was getting dominant again. If the Sox get him, I believe we will all be happy they did 4 or 5 years from now. The others, I'm not so sure.

Agree. Rodon should be #1 on board followed by Aiken. After that it's hard to say, but I'd still roll the dice on Kolek.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 29, 2014 -> 07:56 PM)
Agree. Rodon should be #1 on board followed by Aiken. After that it's hard to say, but I'd still roll the dice on Kolek.

Agreed, Rodon fits very nicely with our timeline and i think the sox can break him in, in a similar fashion to Sale. His velocity is real and his breaking ball is the best in the draft hands down; that slider is nasty.

Pm626tJ.gif

44FQjK5.gif

If we land him I'm very confident the sox will be able to develop his change-up well beyond a show me pitch and it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him learn a cutter seeing how that seems to be this organizations pitch de jour.

If Rodon isn't there I Like Aiken the Kolek as both of them dove tail nicely with our next crop of arms in Danish and Montas