Jesse Crain dealt to Tampa Bay

southsider2k5

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/06/cafa...medium=facebook

White Sox reliever Jesse Crain will draw interest and Cafardo warns not to rule out the Red Sox. Pitching coach Juan NIeves coached him in Chicago and he’s a stable force at the end of games. Meanwhile, there will be others vying for Crain, including the Orioles and Yankees. Our own Charlie Wilmoth recently examined Crain as a trade candidate.

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jun 30, 2013 -> 06:57 PM)
John Fay, beat writer for the Cincinnati Enquirer, had something on Twitter today about the Reds being interested in Crain.

I believe Broxton is having some injury issues, and he is their 8th inning guy,

Here's another guy we should ship now. Get a fair offer and boom, deal him. He's been utterly fantastic, but is it two straight bad outings? Deal him before his arm gets tired or something. Thank you in advance, Mr. Hahn.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 04:39 AM)
You should get something REALLY nice for Crain.

Like what, Jake? A former first rounder? I think you are overestimating what Sox will get for him. What realistically are you thinking? I'd say two fringe prospects, like former 10th rounders who are doing OK in the minors.

In an era where top relievers are coveted mid-season by contending teams, Crain should bring back a very good return. The man has been the best set-up guy in all of baseball this season, and there are probably at least 10 teams that would love to have him right now. You're crazy if you don't think he will bring back a good return. Lesser relievers than Crain have brought back very good returns because of how valuable a good reliever is mid-season.

Thornton and Lindstrom on the other hand, you might get a nice little package like what the Sox got in the Frasor deal a couple years ago, but don't expect anything that will shock the world.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 04:59 AM)
In an era where top relievers are coveted mid-season by contending teams, Crain should bring back a very good return. The man has been the best set-up guy in all of baseball this season, and there are probably at least 10 teams that would love to have him right now. You're crazy if you don't think he will bring back a good return. Lesser relievers than Crain have brought back very good returns because of how valuable a good reliever is mid-season.

I'm assuming contenders will be shipping us prospects. So I think my prediction of two former 10th rounders is about right for Crain. I mean you can't believe a team will give up hot-shot prospects for a 33-year-old reliever.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 01:12 AM)
I'm assuming contenders will be shipping us prospects. So I think my prediction of two former 10th rounders is about right for Crain. I mean you can't believe a team will give up hot-shot prospects for a 33-year-old reliever.

He's 31, not 33. And he's one of the best relievers in the game right now. I doubt Hahn will give him away for a couple former 10th rounders. I would expect at least one hot prospect back for him.

You obviously don't pay much attention at the trade deadline. Teams go bonkers for bullpen help and there's always somebody ready to overpay for a reliever.

Not sure why you are set on talking about prospects in the round they were drafted in. I mean, you talk about former 1st rounders but I surely wouldn't take prospects like Jared Mitchell or Bryan Bullington for Crain. But a couple of 10th rounders? Sure I'll have Greg Holland, Desmond Jennings, Tommy Milone, Kris Medlen, or Peter Bourjos for him.

Just say "good prospects" or "mediocre prospects" or whatever. Referencing them by the round they were drafted in, after 2-3 years in a minor league system, is dumb.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jun 30, 2013 -> 06:57 PM)
John Fay, beat writer for the Cincinnati Enquirer, had something on Twitter today about the Reds being interested in Crain.

Hamilton, Stephenson, and Cingrani are probably close to untouchable. Would personally love if Hahn could pry away Stephenson though.

Jesse Winker is also a guy worth targeting. If you could somehow get Travieso thrown in there as buying low, that'd be great too.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 30, 2013 -> 08:43 PM)
Here's another guy we should ship now. Get a fair offer and boom, deal him. He's been utterly fantastic, but is it two straight bad outings? Deal him before his arm gets tired or something. Thank you in advance, Mr. Hahn.

Alexei Ramirez had a bad outing.

Crain was the victim of three balls that weren't hard hit...but yeah, that was his first legit earned run that wasn't compromised by the defense.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 07:29 AM)
Hamilton, Stephenson, and Cingrani are probably close to untouchable. Would personally love if Hahn could pry away Stephenson though.

Jesse Winker is also a guy worth targeting. If you could somehow get Travieso thrown in there as buying low, that'd be great too.

So the rumors are off of Billy Hamilton and towards pitching?

WHY? We need hitters desperately, not more pitchers, unless they have the potential to be elite guys.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 08:56 AM)

WHY? We need hitters desperately, not more pitchers, unless they have the potential to be elite guys.

Stephenson and Cingrani are legitimate pieces. I don't think Hamilton is in play. Winker could be a pretty good bat. I'm all for taking the best possible offer there is. A surplus of pitching isn't a bad thing, especially when the only real established starting pitching prospect in the minors is one guy; Erik Johnson. Take the best value you can get, especially when limitations exist in trading partners.

Edit: And these aren't rumors regarding specific names. Just some of the Reds top prospects.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)
Stephenson and Cingrani are legitimate pieces. I don't think Hamilton is in play. Winker could be a pretty good bat. I'm all for taking the best possible offer there is. A surplus of pitching isn't a bad thing, especially when the only real established starting pitching prospect in the minors is one guy; Erik Johnson. Take the best value you can get, especially when limitations exist in trading partners.

Edit: And these aren't rumors regarding specific names. Just some of the Reds top prospects.

I know he's been horrible this year, but Corcino seems like the type of guy the Sox would be interested in.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 08:56 AM)

Billy Hamilton isn't a hitter either, he's just a runner :D

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 08:51 AM)
Cripes...if something happens to Crain that would really suck cause they should be able to get something really really good for him.

It would be fitting with how this season has gone.

With Floyd, Peavy, Beckham, Konerko...

• 2 weeks later...