Jesse Crain dealt to Tampa Bay

southsider2k5

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 07:41 AM)
Yeah couldn't tell if it was speculation or news but I missed a lot of it. They also were saying it may not matter if a deal was done or not that the Braves could take him anyways if he's off the DL in a week after the deadline.

What do you mean? He would still have to pass through waivers, right?

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 12:44 PM)

I worded that weird. I meant trade for him while he was still on the DL before the deadline passes.

Edit: I should say this was speculation to the original report.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 07:51 AM)
Since this is from Rogers I'm not buying it, but in theory, Crain could have a couple rehab appearances, get traded while still on the DL, and then the Braves could still have him some more before coming back.

I assume they can do a conditional PTBNL. If Crain makes this many appearances, you get this guy. But if he suffers a setback, you get this lower-level prospect.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 08:44 AM)

He wouldn't have to "pass through" waivers entirely to get traded, only get to the Braves. Whether or not a team in the NL might try to block him getting there is a different question.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 08:10 AM)
He wouldn't have to "pass through" waivers entirely to get traded, only get to the Braves. Whether or not a team in the NL might try to block him getting there is a different question.

He would have to get throught the AL first which there is zero chance of happening.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 08:05 AM)
I assume they can do a conditional PTBNL. If Crain makes this many appearances, you get this guy. But if he suffers a setback, you get this lower-level prospect.

Yes they could do that if they so choose. I believe when Sabathia went to the Brewers they did a similar scenario. If the Brewers made the playoffs, Cleveland got to choose the PTBNL from the pool they previously agreed on and if the Brewers made the playoffs then the Brewers got to choose.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 07:51 AM)
Since this is from Rogers I'm not buying it, but in theory, Crain could have a couple rehab appearances, get traded while still on the DL, and then the Braves could still have him some more before coming back.

It sounds like they'll be able to move Crain to the Braves at the very least.

But if other teams want him (looking at Boston), let the bidding begin.

Heck, maybe Peavy and Crain get bundled to Boston...or Arizona...or someplace else.

We'll know in 199 hours.

If the sox are talking with the Braves, a major league ready bat who could make sense is Joey Terdoslavich. Hes blocked at 1b by Freeman. They dont have that many other bats in the minors that seem to make sense. OF Todd Cunningham may be another. Not saying I approve of this. But if the two teams are talking, guys the sox minor league teams have seen play could be possibilities.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 12:03 PM)
If the sox are talking with the Braves, a major league ready bat who could make sense is Joey Terdoslavich. Hes blocked at 1b by Freeman. They dont have that many other bats in the minors that seem to make sense. OF Todd Cunningham may be another. Not saying I approve of this. But if the two teams are talking, guys the sox minor league teams have seen play could be possibilities.

Both players are 24 and in AAA.

.288/.369/.487/.855, 16 homers

.318/.359/.567/.926, 18 homers

The top is Andy Wilkins. The bottom is Terdoslavich. They do not appear to be similar players - Terdoslavich being a more aggressive, stronger hitter, while Wilkins is more patient and can work a count - but I don't see enough difference in potential value to make that a worthwhile trade.

I understand it's all speculation for the sake of conversation, just putting in my two cents.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 12:28 PM)

The top is Andy Wilkins. The bottom is Terdoslavich. They do not appear to be similar players - Terdoslavich being a more aggressive, stronger hitter, while Wilkins is more patient and can work a count - but I don't see enough difference in potential value to make that a worthwhile trade.

I understand it's all speculation for the sake of conversation, just putting in my two cents.

Terdoslavich is a switch hitter and can play LF, so he has that going for him, and he is also considered a much better prospect who is up with the Braves right now. I think if you can get Terdoslavich and another decent prospect like Tommy La Stella, that's not a bad deal.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 06:28 PM)

I was just trying to see who might make sense. No one in the Braves system jumps out at me. Other than the few bats like Terdoslavich and Cunningham, and they ain't much, granted, the minor league arms don't seem like a lot of upside.

QUOTE (Wedge @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 04:44 PM)
Perhaps silly question... is Crain a prospective Type A free agent?

Doesn't really work that way any more.

To get draft picks when a free agent leaves, a team has to make that free agent a "qualifying offer" that is on the order of a 1 year, $14 million deal.

The type A designation isn't really out there, it's now about the qualifying offer.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 03:46 PM)
Doesn't really work that way any more.

To get draft picks when a free agent leaves, a team has to make that free agent a "qualifying offer" that is on the order of a 1 year, $14 million deal.

The type A designation isn't really out there, it's now about the qualifying offer.

They really need to change it to be more like the franchise tag in football where it is the average of the highest five paid players at that position plus some arbitrary amount.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 05:25 PM)
They really need to change it to be more like the franchise tag in football where it is the average of the highest five paid players at that position plus some arbitrary amount.

This really isn't bad any more. That amount might be slightly better but really, you don't deserve a draft pick compensation when you let a reliever walk and you don't deserve to lose a first round pick when you sign a reliever.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2013 -> 04:27 PM)
This really isn't bad any more. That amount might be slightly better but really, you don't deserve a draft pick compensation when you let a reliever walk and you don't deserve to lose a first round pick when you sign a reliever.

Why not have two different tiers? Have a 1st round tender and a 3rd round tender (or 5th or 10th, whatever...has to be in the top 10 rounds so that it can count against the initial cap and teams don't just sign guys to added draft picks, as has happened in previous years). And you make the number $7.5 mill or something like that.

So, rather than the White Sox offering $14 mill to Crain to try and get a supplemental 1st round pick, they can offer him $7.5 mill and get a supplemental 3rd/5th/10th round pick instead.