Jesse Crain dealt to Tampa Bay

southsider2k5

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 11:49 AM)
Nine pieces of dung are still nine pieces of dung no matter which order you put them in.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 04:21 PM)
Good point.

So that would mean

Crain to Team X

Player Q from Team X to the Rays

Prospects from Rays to Sox

What do the Rays need?

Green Sox copies my old haiku style of posting. Or are we the same guy? Hmmmm (kidding)

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 11:39 AM)
Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 46s

Sources: Deal for Jesse Crain to Rays not close to done. Talks for now. Good news for White Sox is teams aren't scared off by his shoulder.

Good news?

Also, looks like talks of mystery team were overstated or in preliminary stages.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 11:42 AM)
Why is it that not one media member can produce an accurate story about us this year?

As CyAcosta would say, mis, dis, and non-information. The White Sox are among the best at it and have been for years.

Close or not just getting it out there that someone wants to trade for Crain gets people interested again. How could you not be? Yes he's injured but he's been absolutely lights out. Could be Hahn using the media to get Boston to get moving on a Peavy, Crain deal. We really can't believe anything until its actually done. Teams use writers to spin for them as much as a certain administration uses CNN. I do think though today is the day for things to go down, however I feel it will be later tonight probably after the game as it gets closer to Jakes start. Today's the day boys.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 11:39 AM)
Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 46s

Sources: Deal for Jesse Crain to Rays not close to done. Talks for now. Good news for White Sox is teams aren't scared off by his shoulder.

Good news?

Yes good news, there is plenty of interest in a guy who is currently on a DL.

Why is it that not one media member can produce an accurate story about us this year?

Here you go--a guaranteed 100% accurate story:

Sometime before 3pm Wednesday, Jesse Crain either will or will not be traded in a deal involving at least one other team.

Does anyone think we should hang onto Crain? I am actually not opposed to hanging onto him and trying to get an extension done. He has been one of the only guys to actually live up to his contract in a sox uniform. My thought is this, you should not trade him for a marginal prospect. I agree to trading him only if you actually get something that has value and not just a lottery pick. If you cant, see if you can get a deal done with him going forward. Look, if you are not going to do a complete rebuild with Sale then you are trying to compete next year or 2015. Reed,Jones and Crain are three tremendous assets to do that. The rotation figures to be pretty solid. It's our position players who are just awful.

I am not saying don't trade him. I am saying just make sure you actually get value instead of trading him for the heck of it. The White Sox do that far to often. (Simon Castro)...

QUOTE (kwill @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 11:49 AM)
Does anyone think we should hang onto Crain? I am actually not opposed to hanging onto him and trying to get an extension done. He has been one of the only guys to actually live up to his contract in a sox uniform. My thought is this, you should not trade him for a marginal prospect. I agree to trading him only if you actually get something that has value and not just a lottery pick. If you cant, see if you can get a deal done with him going forward. Look, if you are not going to do a complete rebuild with Sale then you are trying to compete next year or 2015. Reed,Jones and Crain are three tremendous assets to do that. The rotation figures to be pretty solid. It's our position players who are just awful.

I am not saying don't trade him. I am saying just make sure you actually get value instead of trading him for the heck of it. The White Sox do that far to often. (Simon Castro)...

He is most likely going to be extremely expensive and almost certainly not as good the next couple of years. The Sox need to move him. When he's a free agent, they can always re-visit and see if his price tag makes any sense.

QUOTE (kwill @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 11:49 AM)

If you want Crain on the 2014 White Sox, you can sign him as a free agent in the offseason. Might as well get whatever you can now.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 12:10 PM)
Prepare to be underwhelmed by the return for Crain.

Oh dear.. if some don't know Rock, docsox and bucket are the best in the business is regards to in the know on this site.

EDIT: And spataro51, but he doesn't post much anymore.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 12:10 PM)
Prepare to be underwhelmed by the return for Crain.

Anyone who actually thought the Sox were getting anything can't miss even if he wasn't on the DL hasn't been paying attention, but something is better than nothing.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 12:12 PM)
My expectation is a prospect whose ceiling is major league utility infielder, 4th outfielder, 5th starter, or long relief.

I'm hoping for more like a high-ceiling but low-floor guy, someone who has about an 80% bust likelihood, but serious tools that could make an impact if he puts it together. As opposed to a guy 75% likely to see the majors but with minimal ceiling.