Jesse Crain dealt to Tampa Bay

southsider2k5

I'm hoping for more like a high-ceiling but low-floor guy, someone who has about an 80% bust likelihood, but serious tools that could make an impact if he puts it together. As opposed to a guy 75% likely to see the majors but with minimal ceiling.

I would hope for that too, but I don't think teams are going to give that up for Crain.

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 12:18 PM)
Someone mentioned Tim Beckham earlier.

I think he's probably more that TB would give up, although TB probably wants to keep Crain away from Oakland, Boston, Detroit, a team that may claim him in August when and if he is healthy.

If the return for Downs is any indication, a Cory Rasmus-type is probably what the Sox are looking at. Certainly not a franchise-changing moment.

The thing is, it should be a no brainer for a team to give up that type of player risking Crain will be healthy reasonably soon.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 12:01 PM)
@MDGonzales confirms deal sending Jesse Crain to Rays is close; final bids being taken on trade for Jake Peavy: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,4850804.story

Gonzales says again that we don't want to take any salary. I guess we can't afford it as they seem to want to carry Rios and Alexei for some bizarre reason.

Stupid if we hold onto Rios / Alexei. If we are going to make trades, we should move those guys too. Clear the payroll, add young talent, and open up roster spots for some of that young talent to play (then use some of the cash on other vets).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 02:04 PM)
Stupid if we hold onto Rios / Alexei. If we are going to make trades, we should move those guys too. Clear the payroll, add young talent, and open up roster spots for some of that young talent to play (then use some of the cash on other vets).

Seriously, if you're tanking a season then tank it and get some sort of value out of it (spects and pt for young guys).

It's not like 2014 looks that promising to begin with.

The only situation I understand, and this totally may be possible, is if the offers for Rios and Alexei are absolutely pitiful and if it's concern over money then maybe we can get more flexibility over the offseason.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 12:09 PM)
Seriously, if you're tanking a season then tank it and get some sort of value out of it (spects and pt for young guys).

It's not like 2014 looks that promising to begin with.

The only situation I understand, and this totally may be possible, is if the offers for Rios and Alexei are absolutely pitiful and if it's concern over money then maybe we can get more flexibility over the offseason.

Yep. I could see if the club decided they'd hold off on dealing those two until the off-season or next years deadline. In Rios situation though, it would seem to me that RV doesn't want him around so I expect the Sox to move him. That is the only reason I think he'll get moved and I think Hahn will lower his demands. I'd be thrilled if we got 1 top 3-5 prospect from a system and another top 10 prospect.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 12:14 PM)
You should never count out a team with a strong starting rotation and contracts coming off the books.

There would be a lot less flexibility if Dunn, Rios, and Alexei aren't traded. In fact, I'm going to imagine the club would have minimal flexibility (given I'd expect lower attendance, etc).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 03:20 PM)
There would be a lot less flexibility if Dunn, Rios, and Alexei aren't traded. In fact, I'm going to imagine the club would have minimal flexibility (given I'd expect lower attendance, etc).

Take a look at the actual numbers, there's $30 million or so coming off the books as it is, and another $25 million in the national TV deal. I know they won't spend all $55 million of that since the attendance has gone down, but even if people aren't moved, there's got to be $25 million or more to spend if they choose to.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 02:32 PM)
Take a look at the actual numbers, there's $30 million or so coming off the books as it is, and another $25 million in the national TV deal. I know they won't spend all $55 million of that since the attendance has gone down, but even if people aren't moved, there's got to be $25 million or more to spend if they choose to.

So all the teams will be flush with money and the FA market is terrible. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.