Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 10:44 AM)
Tom Singer ‏@Tom_Singer 18m

$12.5 million owed Rios for 2014 will not scare off #Pirates, whose share of new national TV deal will be bumped up by about $25 mil.

This is Pirates writer for mlb.com

That's what I like to hear. Still a package of Rios and Alexei with Peavy and Lindstrom going to the Red Sox would be ideal for this franchise depending on the players we get back.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 02:26 PM)
Hunter Pence is overrated. I hope SF locks him up so we can dump Rios.

I gave Rios several earfuls on Wednesday night. Perks of having 2nd row bleacher seats when Rios doesn't hustle for fly balls, strikes out with with a man on 3rd and one out, strikes out swinging for the fences with 2 strikes and grounds into a double play. I have said it before, Rios should be moved to change the attitude of this team.

I don't want any TWTW bulls***, but lackadaisical losers who don't hustle have no place on my ideal White Sox team.

Yeah, you sure showed him.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 08:26 PM)

I gave Rios several earfuls on Wednesday night. Perks of having 2nd row bleacher seats when Rios doesn't hustle for fly balls, strikes out with with a man on 3rd and one out, strikes out swinging for the fences with 2 strikes and grounds into a double play. I have said it before, Rios should be moved to change the attitude of this team.

I don't want any TWTW bulls***, but lackadaisical losers who don't hustle have no place on my ideal White Sox team.

I just want to be able to forget about Rios and Dunn forever. Please get rid of them, Rick Hahn.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 02:26 PM)

You're just my favorite type of person

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 02:47 PM)
and what type of person is that?

I guess I just don't understand why people would heckle players, regardless of how they feel about said player's effort.

But yes, I'm sure you had a genuine pearl of wisdom that the coaching staff had forgotten to point out to him. Well done.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 03:34 PM)
Oh, apparently you don't attend many games yourself. I go to 20 games a year and don't stand for Rios style of play. I think he is the only player I have ever booed on the Sox. Go watch the first couple innings of Wednesday night's game and consider the scouts in attendance.

I don't feel bad for someone making 13 million dollars a year to play baseball. That is a part of his job to deal with "hecklers." I would kill to be able to do what he does and he shows no regard for himself, the White Sox or the city he plays for. To be clear, all I said to him was, "Thanks for hustling for the scouts." Rios is a douche bag and that is known in Toronto as it is here in Chicago. Not to mention, he just embarrassed/ripped our manager who yanked him for not hustling and then continues to not hustle. If you don't like how a manager handles you not hustling then f***ing hustle. Simple as that.

How did he rip Robin? His initial comments were that he should have been hustling.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 04:20 PM)
How did he rip Robin? His initial comments were that he should have been hustling.

He said Robin handled it wrong and embarrassed him. Robin shouldn't have pulled him, but talked to him about it after the game. Lou Piniella used to say he yanked guys from games who dogged it down the line because he just assumed if they couldn't run hard , they must be hurt. Rios" half efforts drag down his value.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 04:29 PM)
He said Robin handled it wrong and embarrassed him. Robin shouldn't have pulled him, but talked to him about it after the game. Lou Piniella used to say he yanked guys from games who dogged it down the line because he just assumed if they couldn't run hard , they must be hurt. Rios" half efforts drag down his value.

I am not denying Rios plays with no fire, but I must have missed those comments.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 04:31 PM)
I am not denying Rios plays with no fire, but I must have missed those comments.

He is very talented and a graceful athlete. It could appear he looks like he isn't maximg effor pt when he does, but it's been pretty obvious after a great start, he's pretty much checked out the last 2 months. He's been just another guy in June and July. A guy a team can acquire who carries a far smaller price tag. I really think his comments about being benched hurt his value as well. He knew it was wrong and unacceptable, yet didn't think he had to pay the consequences. The fact is Robin could have embarrassed him far more than he did, and the guy who really embarrassed Rios was Rios.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 04:47 PM)
I'm getting the feeling that nothing is going to happen from now to the deadline.

I really doubt the Sox would have sent out that survey if they aren't going to be dropping some guys. Hawk elued to fans understanding if the team decided to play for 2015. It woulld be shocking if nothing happened, but Hahn has to hold oit for the best package. He can't get ansy and settle for something when other teams may offer more as the deadline nears, or another layer or 3 may go down.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 02:54 PM)
I really doubt the Sox would have sent out that survey if they aren't going to be dropping some guys. Hawk elued to fans understanding if the team decided to play for 2015. It woulld be shocking if nothing happened, but Hahn has to hold oit for the best package. He can't get ansy and settle for something when other teams may offer more as the deadline nears, or another layer or 3 may go down.

They need to move all of the following if they can and should be playing for 2015 (and this off-season sign a few vets that are good role models who can be of value at the deadline and help get you more chips):

- Danks

- Rios

- Dunn

- In August (ask Konerko if he wants to stay or go)

- Lindstrom

- Crain

- Peavy

- Ramirez

De Aza is absent from that list and I'm not moving Viciedo or Becks at this point unless someone overwhelms me. I want value for Alejandro, otherwise I see no harm holding him another year and then moving him. The rest of the rotation stays put as well. Let them continue to develop and by 2015 you should have a pretty good rotation, quite a few more chips, and a lot more money to spend. If they do things right, they could be at least interesting next year (albeit not contenders) and contend in 2015.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 04:58 PM)
They need to move all of the following if they can and should be playing for 2015 (and this off-season sign a few vets that are good role models who can be of value at the deadline and help get you more chips):

- Danks

- Rios

- Dunn

- In August (ask Konerko if he wants to stay or go)

- Lindstrom

- Crain

- Peavy

- Ramirez

De Aza is absent from that list and I'm not moving Viciedo or Becks at this point unless someone overwhelms me. I want value for Alejandro, otherwise I see no harm holding him another year and then moving him. The rest of the rotation stays put as well. Let them continue to develop and by 2015 you should have a pretty good rotation, quite a few more chips, and a lot more money to spend. If they do things right, they could be at least interesting next year (albeit not contenders) and contend in 2015.

I agree with this list, and what you're saying is basically what the Cubs have done the last 2 years in giving 1 year deals to players to play for their next contract and trade them.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 07:06 PM)
http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/news/article....rticle_54972194

Just the usual bull before a trade deadline

Then have a nice time watching the playoffs from their TVs. Sure adding Rios might not help that much, but better than what their putting out there. No way they beat out the A's in that division.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 07:18 PM)
Then have a nice time watching the playoffs from their TVs. Sure adding Rios might not help that much, but better than what their putting out there. No way they beat out the A's in that division.

Its all posturing right now.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 09:34 PM)
Oh, apparently you don't attend many games yourself. I go to 20 games a year and don't stand for Rios style of play. I think he is the only player I have ever booed on the Sox. Go watch the first couple innings of Wednesday night's game and consider the scouts in attendance.

I don't feel bad for someone making 13 million dollars a year to play baseball. That is a part of his job to deal with "hecklers." I would kill to be able to do what he does and he shows no regard for himself, the White Sox or the city he plays for. To be clear, all I said to him was, "Thanks for hustling for the scouts." Rios is a douche bag and that is known in Toronto as it is here in Chicago. Not to mention, he just embarrassed/ripped our manager who yanked him for not hustling and then continues to not hustle. If you don't like how a manager handles you not hustling then f***ing hustle. Simple as that.

I don't condone heckling a guy in person, but I understand the sentiment. I would never actually boo Rios but he's definitely my least favorite Sox of all time. At least Dunn tries. That slide tonight by Dunn was stellar where he busted Getz's chops in breaking up the DP. I always think Pudge Fisk might punch Rios in the mouth on the occasions Rios loafs. Maybe that's not the case but I'd like to hear Fisk's take on Rios.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 09:46 PM)
Kirkjan was just on Baseball Tonight and he said he thinks Peavy goes and Rios stays because he's not a big enough difference maker to championship ball clubs.

Agree.