Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 01:33 PM)
Then neither is Peavy.

Because I would take his potential, growing stamina/endurance and multiple out pitch arsenal over Jake Peavy any day of the week, if it was finding a starting pitcher to build the rotation around (after Sale) in 2015/16.

Put Quintana and Santiago in the NL West or NL Central and they'd nearly be Cy Young candidates.

Uh, you are aware that the NL Central is arguably the strongest division currently, and that the AL Central is arguably the weakest, right?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 12:37 PM)
Uh, you are aware that the NL Central is arguably the strongest division currently, and that the AL Central is arguably the weakest, right?

Then how do you explain Francisco Liriano being the ace of the 2nd best team in MLB (by 1/2 game)?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 01:33 PM)
Then neither is Peavy.

Because I would take his potential, growing stamina/endurance and multiple out pitch arsenal over Jake Peavy any day of the week, if it was finding a starting pitcher to build the rotation around (after Sale) in 2015/16.

Put Quintana and Santiago in the NL West or NL Central and they'd nearly be Cy Young candidates.

I think a good comparison would be Clayton Richard. The change of scenery did him well and he was a solid middle of the rotation guy in SD. Not a Cy Young candidate, but good.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 01:26 PM)
Why would the Cardinals be willing to give up Martinez?

It's Been said the Cardnials are worried about him sticking as a starter because of his build. He is smalle like 5'9-5'10 and throws 95 consistently and doubt his body can hold up as a starter throwing the way he does. Not to mention they have a stable of young quality high potential pitchers in the minors and it's been said he is expendable to St. Louis. They said the same thing about Sale and Chris has turned into a pitcher instead of a hurler. He can still hit high 90's but with the guidance of coop has learned to hold back in order to last not only longer in games but career wise. He's a guy I think the Soc still think can be a SP and a damn good one.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 12:36 PM)
I think our definitions of #1's and #2's are different. I would venture a guess that just about any scout you ask would consider Q is a solid #3 and Santiago an innings-eater back of the rotation type of guy. Considering how we acquired those guys, that is unbelievably good

When Santiago's K/9 ratio puts him in the Top 10 of all MLB for starters?

If the White Sox had five cloned Hector Santiagos in their rotation, putting up identical numbers, they wouldn't be in last place.

I think most everyone consider Q better than a solid number 3 at this point. Santiago I would say has better potential than that. As for now I wouldn't label him as an innings eater since the one thing preventing him from the top of the rotation is his lack of ability to eat innings.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 01:39 PM)
Then how do you explain Francisco Liriano being the ace of the 2nd best team in MLB (by 1/2 game)?

He's always had frontline stuff, his problems have always been health and inconsistency. It's not surprising that he has gone on a tear like this, he's done it before (in the AL Central)

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 01:38 PM)
TAB Deportes ‏@tabpr 10m

Bien cerca de finalizar el cambio entre White Sox y Pirates, donde enviarían al boricua Alex Rios a Pittsburgh

Wonder if they know something or just saw the Kaplan tweet too

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 12:42 PM)
I think most everyone consider Q better than a solid number 3 at this point. Santiago I would say has better potential than that. As for now I wouldn't label him as an innings eater since the one thing preventing him from the top of the rotation is his lack of ability to eat innings.

And yet he's been consistently throwing 94, 95 and even touching 96 in recent outings after pitch #75.

Gordon Edes (a very reliable Red Sox reporter) just tweeted that Arizona has emerged as front runner for Peavy per source

Gordon Edes ‏@GordonEdes 3m Source: Arizona emerges as front runner for Peavy

Edited by GoGoSox2k2

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 01:40 PM)
I think a good comparison would be Clayton Richard. The change of scenery did him well and he was a solid middle of the rotation guy in SD. Not a Cy Young candidate, but good.

He was never good. He was 100% a product of Petco park. If you look at this home/away splits, he was bad away from San Diego.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 01:42 PM)

I've always been in favor of giving Santiago a chance to start. Starting is the most valuable thing a pitcher can do, gives them the best chance to impact the game. It will be exciting to see if he can continue his success starting over the course of a season. Same for Q, this is his first full year starting. See where it pans out with a larger sample size.

QUOTE (GoGoSox2k2 @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 01:45 PM)
Gordon Edes (a very reliable Red Sox reporter) just tweeted that Arizona has emerged as front runner for Peavy per source

Gordon Edes ‏@GordonEdes 3m Source: Arizona emerges as front runner for Peavy

Can't we keep the Peavy stuff in the Peavy thread and Rios stuff in the Rios thread?? Feel like I am reading the same thread.

Or how about we just have one deadline thread that we can talk about all rumors instead of having to jump back and forth between 2 or 3 threads

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 01:46 PM)
He was never good. He was 100% a product of Petco park. If you look at this home/away splits, he was bad away from San Diego.

Still his ERA over three years in SD was under 4. Not bad. I'm not saying Clayton Richard is a frontline starter, that's why you trade him for a guy like Peavy.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 01:49 PM)
Can't we keep the Peavy stuff in the Peavy thread and Rios stuff in the Rios thread?? Feel like I am reading the same thread.

Or how about we just have one deadline thread that we can talk about all rumors instead of having to jump back and forth between 2 or 3 threads

that is my mistake.. sorry i am getting confused bouncing back in forth between threads. i apologize

I think "RedSox/Pirates/Orioles/Cardinals/Rangers/Diamondbacks interested in some combination of Peavy/Rios/Ramirez/Lindstrom" would be too long of a thread title.