Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 09:51 PM)
Really now? You get a potential ace in Martinez or Wacha, and 3 good left handed bats to really balance out the lineup (we have zero LHB in the minors).

I like it much better than ones Q posted. They can throw in Blazek and some lower level guys as well.

Martinez and Wacha aren't on the same stratosphere as a guy like Sale. I'm not moving Sale in that package. We have an ace and a strong rotation...lets use the money we have, hope some of our guys develop, and try rebuilding the offense. A guy like Brian McCann is a start.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 12:30 AM)
Martinez and Wacha aren't on the same stratosphere as a guy like Sale. I'm not moving Sale in that package. We have an ace and a strong rotation...lets use the money we have, hope some of our guys develop, and try rebuilding the offense. A guy like Brian McCann is a start.

Oh,I agree, I'm just bored and wanna have some fun. Getting the #2 prospect in baseball, an all star at 2nd or 3rd, a LH power hitter to replace Dunn, and (since Q talked me into it) 2 potential aces in Wacha and Martinez, would just be tremendous to me. Hell they would have even more money for McCann after the deal, and then some, bring on Morales too.

If Garcia, Semien, and Tavares turn into the guys we/Card fans are hoping for the offense would be pretty sick.

1. Semien SS R

2. Carpenter 3B L

3. Garcia RF R

4. McCann C L

5. Morales DH S

6. Tavares CF L

7. Tank LF R

8. Adams 1B L

9. Beckham 2B R

with a rotation of (in any order) Wacha-Santiago-Martinez-Q-EJ

That would be one exciting ball club to watch for many a years to come. 3 through 8 would all be interchangeable based on who's hitting the best.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 10:38 PM)
A competent offense is easier to build than finding an ace. If the Sox cannot build a competent offense before this young starting staff has to be broken up due to cost, then the FO will be gone anyway.

Agreed. The hardest thing to find in baseball is a true ace. A real, bonafide ace is insanely rare.

All this talk about splitting up the rotation is nuts.

We should be building around it.

We have a very good young rotation of

Sale

Quintana

Danks

Santiago

Rienzo

With Johnson and Snodgrass waiting in the wings.

Our hitting has been poor at best and defensively we are awful.

If we dump De Aza, Rios, Dunn and Keppinger, we free up quite a bit of Salary to add onto what we already have to go shopping in the off-season. Paulie will either retire or try and get fit and possibly be a DH and it looks like they are looking to try Tank at 1B.

Although Alexei has had a poor year defensively (I swear, I'll slap him in the face if he smiles once more after making an error that costs us runs) and has been awful baserunning, he does have a decent average and has stolen a few bases. With some coaching and a sports psychiatrists help, the mental issues that he's had this season can be ironed out.

If stick with the following -

C - Phegley

1B - Tank

2B - Beckham

SS - Alexei

3B - Gillaspie

RF - Garcia

CF - Danks

LF - Jacobs

DH - Paulie

Bench

C - Flowers

1B - Wilkins

IF - Semien

OF - Thompson

We could say, right, worst case scenario is that we have a ton of Salary room available to spend on whoever we like at the end of 2014, where there will be alot of free agents available.

I think that we may have to suck offensively for another year before we look like a contender again.

If we needed to sign a free agent, then we could look at an impact guy like Cano or McCann.

I do think that next year should be focussed on developement of the rotation and creation of the bullpen for 2015 whilst bringing in the pieces for the offense for 2015.

2013 and 2014 should be about trying out the prospects in AAA and AA and seeing if they can do a job for 2015 or whether we are going to have to bring some players in on trade or through free-agency.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 08:25 PM)
If you want offense, you don't trade Q or Santiago. You dump Danks' contract for nothing and use the savings to sign a free agent or two.

Who is going to take Danks' contract? There's a better chance the Angels would trade Trout for De Aza and Jared Mitchell than a team relieving the Sox of that contract.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 04:23 PM)
I understand the WAR thing...I'm not sure people use it correctly on this site all the time, but I get it. But do you think that having 2-3 very good young position players added to our mix would be a net positive, even if Chris continues down his current path of awesomeness?

I suggested Bogaerts, Bradley, Cecchini, Webster, and Ranaudo. Best case scenario, you get 3 regulars and 2 mid to top of the rotation starters. Your expected scenario is a league average shortstop, outfielder, and utility infielder as well as two live arms who you treat no differently than Andre Rienzo.

I have posted this a couple times during the deadline. It's worth posting again, even if it did or did not happen. The Mariners reportedly turned down a package to trade Felix to Boston in 2009. They would have gotten...

RHP Clay Buchholz

RHP Daniel Bard

RHP Justin Masterson

LHP Nick Hagadone

RHP Michael Bowden

LHP Felix Doubront

OF Josh Reddick

SS Yamaico Navarro

And if you look, all of those guys were good to great prospects. Most have them have had big impacts in the majors. As of this moment, would you go back and make that trade for Felix? Personally, I would not.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 08:16 AM)
I suggested Bogaerts, Bradley, Cecchini, Webster, and Ranaudo. Best case scenario, you get 3 regulars and 2 mid to top of the rotation starters. Your expected scenario is a league average shortstop, outfielder, and utility infielder as well as two live arms who you treat no differently than Andre Rienzo.

I have posted this a couple times during the deadline. It's worth posting again, even if it did or did not happen. The Mariners reportedly turned down a package to trade Felix to Boston in 2009. They would have gotten...

RHP Clay Buchholz

RHP Daniel Bard

RHP Justin Masterson

LHP Nick Hagadone

RHP Michael Bowden

LHP Felix Doubront

OF Josh Reddick

SS Yamaico Navarro

And if you look, all of those guys were good to great prospects. Most have them have had big impacts in the majors. As of this moment, would you go back and make that trade for Felix? Personally, I would not.

If Bucholtz was healthy, I definitely make that deal. Masterson, Buchholtz, Doubront has been like Quintana. The others are filler, but 3 starters, and good starters, one or 2 who could be aces, are better than one guy every 5 days as great as King Felix is.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 08:35 AM)
If Bucholtz was healthy, I definitely make that deal. Masterson, Buchholtz, Doubront has been like Quintana. The others are filler, but 3 starters, and good starters, one or 2 who could be aces, are better than one guy every 5 days as great as King Felix is.

But Buchholz hasn't been healthy and he's really only a guy you can pencil in for 180 innings at the most. This is the first time in 5 years since being in Cleveland that Masterson looks like he could be a potential #1 or #2 starter. He had a good ERA a couple of years ago, but he put up very similar peripherals last year and his ERA was 4.93, so how much of that ERA was luck driven? Doubront is a nice piece, but he is a mid to back end of the rotation starter. The others have been hit or miss too.

You are getting a package of like 6 players that have been good but incredibly inconsistent, as well as a couple filler pieces. I just can't make that move for Felix. Now consider that they will offer less for Sale. Can you make that? Because I can't.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 09:18 AM)
Technically no we won't because we're unlikely to be told that he's been put on waivers and passed through.

Well that's true, but he's going to clear waivers. If someone claimed him, I'd shipp my pants AND so would the White Sox and I can't see any reason they'd hang on to him at that point.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 08:22 PM)
He's signed through 2019...

When I say "afford," I mean from a total assets standpoint. Yes, we can afford his contract rather easily, but how long is it going to take us to build a team around him? Where are these position players going to come from? Once we build this team, how long is it going to take to gel? How many years might it take them to win a division? A playoff series?

It just seems to me that you're asking for an awful lot of to come together if you expect the MLB club to rebuild (or retool), become competitive, and then be capable of winning playoff series' with Chris still being the guy he is today.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 09:35 AM)
When I say "afford," I mean from a total assets standpoint. Yes, we can afford his contract rather easily, but how long is it going to take us to build a team around him? Where are these position players going to come from? Once we build this team, how long is it going to take to gel? How many years might it take them to win a division? A playoff series?

It just seems to me that you're asking for an awful lot of to come together if you expect the MLB club to rebuild (or retool), become competitive, and then be capable of winning playoff series' with Chris still being the guy he is today.

I see no reason this team can't be competing for a division come 2015 and by 2016 at the very latest. If he falls off that far in 2-3 years, then f*** it.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 08:31 PM)
Yeah it's weird. The people who want him traded want to get a package around two top prospects. You will literally have no problem getting that 5 seasons from now for that.

It's more like 4-5 very good prospects, but at least two of them would have to be like top 20 or 30 prospects in the game. Bradley and Bogaerts were thrown out there as an example, but the package would obviously have to be something you believed would get you off and running on building an exciting young team.

The point is to take the strength we have right now, and build around it using an asset that while incredibly valuable, is not particularly useful for our purposes in the immediate future.

I'd rather have a team with 3-4 really exciting young mlb-ready players ready to start next season for us, along with a young, solid pitching staff (Quintana/Santiago/Johnson/Danks/Rienzo) as well as some other guys we already have in the system coming through the pipeline in a 1-3 years, so that in '15-'16-'17 you've got a really young, cheap, exciting and talented roster hitting the big leagues. You add the guy that we draft next year into the mix, and you're looking at a ballclub that can really have the potential to be something special in a few years as Detroit is getting older and declining.

I think you're really asking a lot to get there with Sale in the mix still.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 09:35 AM)

With the pitching staff in place it better not take 4 years. If so, Hahn and his group should be gone. That isn't asking very much.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 10:44 AM)
Isn't the list of players who've been waived readily available?

No and it's against MLB rules to release that information. Some names will occasionally leak if teams are really trying to trade a guy, but the waiver wire is supposed to be private information among the GM's.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 07:44 AM)
That's the whole point. He's signed through 2019. 2019. 2019.

That is plenty of time to build around him.

Build from WHAT? We have s*** in our system. The FA market is going to be littered with "damaged goods." Teams are locking up their good young players early (just as we did with Sale) so they aren't hitting the open market. The guys that do hit the market are doing so because they want a monster contract (how many of those turn out well?) or because they are mediocre and expendable.

If you want to keep Sale, you're looking at having to basically build through the draft. Given where we are right now as an organization, that is going to take time. Time that will be wasted with Sale winning 6-7 more games for us a year to put us in 3rd or 4th place instead of 1st or 2nd.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 07:45 AM)
With the pitching staff in place it better not take 4 years. If so, Hahn and his group should be gone. That isn't asking very much.

Where are these players going to come from? I'm just not seeing it.

Apparently very few have been placed on waivers. For guys who have a chance not to clear, teams are waiting for some hangers on who think they have a slight chance and will block to drop out. I would think Ramirez would be claimed. I think most of the others, the Sox would be thrilled if they were claimed.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 06:16 AM)

RHP Clay Buchholz

RHP Daniel Bard

RHP Justin Masterson

LHP Nick Hagadone

RHP Michael Bowden

LHP Felix Doubront

OF Josh Reddick

SS Yamaico Navarro

Wite, I have seen this post a few times, as you mentioned...the question I would ask, is what have they gained by keeping Felix?