Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 12:48 PM)
There are indications in that he wasn't moved at the deadline.

Oops, nvm, misinterpreted what you meant.

The fact that he was claimed tells me one thing...the Sox did in fact get some sort of offers for Rios at the deadline which involved prospects and either no cash going back or minimal cash. Or at least I'd suspect as much since Texas put this claim in.

I do suppose that Texas previously balked at the notion of paying his entire salary and didn't become willing until Cruz went out. My guess is Texas is more willing to agree to the White Sox demands at this point...but I would think it is unlikely they just let Rios walk (at least based upon this fact pattern where i assume the Sox previously had gotten offers of some sort w/no or limited money for Rios...my guess is they want a good prospect or two for Rios and at that point would probably be willing to send 2-4 million back to the other team).

The fact that he was claimed tells me one thing...the Sox did in fact get some sort of offers for Rios at the deadline which involved prospects and either no cash going back or minimal cash. Or at least I'd suspect as much since Texas put this claim in.

I do suppose that Texas previously balked at the notion of paying his entire salary and didn't become willing until Cruz went out. My guess is Texas is more willing to agree to the White Sox demands at this point...but I would think it is unlikely they just let Rios walk (at least based upon this fact pattern where i assume the Sox previously had gotten offers of some sort w/no or limited money for Rios...my guess is they want a good prospect or two for Rios and at that point would probably be willing to send 2-4 million back to the other team).

With Boston eating Peavy's entire contract, there is absolutely no reason the Sox shouldn't eat up to half of Rios' in order to get better talent in return. There is nothing the Sox are going to spend that extra $5-7M on in 2014 anyway.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 08:54 PM)

I don't see why the Sox should send any money. Even though I feel he is grossly overpaid, a lot of people on here are indicating his salary isn't totally out of line for huge-market teams. If we can't get a "great" prospect for Rios, then take 2 lower level young, average players with a bit of an upside and call it a trade. As long as Texas pays the whole thing.

Edited by greg775

Wow! This is great news. I really hope they can work out a fair deal. If this works out, we have saved another 15 million between this year and next year. Fantastic! This would also create an opening for Garcia, which is very much necessary at this point in the season.

I'm hoping for some lower level guys with high ceilings (A or AA). The White Sox are in a serious need for offense for not only in the bigs, but also in the farm system. Get this done, Mr. Hahn!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 12:59 PM)
I don't see why the Sox should send any money. Even though I feel he is grossly overpaid, a lot of people on here are indicating his salary isn't totally out of line for huge-market teams. If we can't get a "great" prospect for Rios, then take 2 lower level young, average players with a bit of an upside and call it a trade. As long as Texas pays the whole thing.

I would be on board with that return to be frank. I wouldn't eat half of his contract cause at that point, I'd likely rather have Rios then whatever the club is getting in return.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 03:02 PM)
So, exclude the 40 man roster. Who do the Rangers have that would really interest people as a Rios Return?

I'd be SO content with Odor. I would love Sardinas too, who may be available only because he is super blocked.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 03:02 PM)
So, exclude the 40 man roster. Who do the Rangers have that would really interest people as a Rios Return?

Alfaro would be my top priority, but after that I think it would go Odor then Sardinas.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 07:59 PM)

All baseball players are overpaid. Salary is not the issue. The return in prospects is and it needs to be good for the Sox. If Texas doesn't want to offer quality then there is no need to do a trade. We have the off season

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 02:59 PM)

With what Rios has produced for the White Sox so far, he's been paid just about the right amount of money.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 03:10 PM)
Alfaro would be my top priority, but after that I think it would go Odor then Sardinas.

Agreed, I think Alfaro would be a great get. But that is their top prospect and Sardinas is their 2nd. Odor could be reasonable, I hope. If not I would go with Mazara or Luke Jackson if we want SP

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)
With what Rios has produced for the White Sox so far, he's been paid just about the right amount of money.

In the past, free agency has tended to pay out about $5m per WAR, and as a 3-4 WAR player, he's actually a touch underpaid.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 04:14 PM)
Agreed, I think Alfaro would be a great get. But that is their top prospect and Sardinas is their 2nd. Odor could be reasonable, I hope. If not I would go with Mazara or Luke Jackson if we want SP

I've still got to figure the White Sox would target position players here.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 03:14 PM)

After looking at their numbers, If i'm Texas, I am likely not dealing Sardinas AND taking in Rios's remaining contract. However, if I'm Texas, I would eat his entire salary AND deal Odor to make sure this deal gets done.