Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

Though they wouldn't help us in the near future I'd love to see the Sox get back Joey Gallo or Ronald Guzman. Sox don't really have a left handed middle of the lineup hitter in the minors so getting one of them back would excite me. They're both probably long shots though.

Edited by scs787

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 03:19 PM)
After looking at their numbers, If i'm Texas, I am likely not dealing Sardinas AND taking in Rios's remaining contract. However, if I'm Texas, I would eat his entire salary AND deal Odor to make sure this deal gets done.

Yeah I'm just dreaming on Sardinas because he's blocked by both Andrus and Profar. Normally, he'd be too rich of a talent, I think. Generally speaking, I'd guess Odor would be the highest we could shoot assuming we were only getting one guy back.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 03:20 PM)
I hope so too, but you never know at this point. I would like one of their young international guys

Gallo might be a pretty realistic target. Massive power but definitely flawed enough that the Rangers might be willing to part with him.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 03:14 PM)
In the past, free agency has tended to pay out about $5m per WAR, and as a 3-4 WAR player, he's actually a touch underpaid.

If we count the 2 months we had him in 09, Rios has produced 7.7 WAR for the Sox (that's with really s***ty seasons in 09 and 11).

So if we value those 7.7 WAR at $5 million per WAR, that's ~$39 million. The Sox have paid him around $45 million thus far. So he's been slightly overpaid.

This is a rough calculation. It's probably more than $5 million per WAR now.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 03:29 PM)
If we count the 2 months we had him in 09, Rios has produced 7.7 WAR for the Sox (that's with really s***ty seasons in 09 and 11).

So if we value those 7.7 WAR at $5 million per WAR, that's ~$39 million. The Sox have paid him around $45 million thus far. So he's been slightly overpaid.

This is a rough calculation. It's probably more than $5 million per WAR now.

Yeah, I didn't mean for the life of the contract, I just mean that, going forward, if he is the 3-4 WAR player he has been the past couple seasons @ $12.5m, he's a touch underpaid. And that's what any team that would acquire him would be concerned with.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 01:06 PM)
I would be on board with that return to be frank. I wouldn't eat half of his contract cause at that point, I'd likely rather have Rios then whatever the club is getting in return.

Since Cruz was suspended the Rangers don't have to pay his contract for those 50 games , is that correct ? If it is then the likelihood of the Sox sending any money decreases.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 03:29 PM)
Danny Knobler ‏@DannyKnoblerCBS 23s

Rios went on waivers on Monday. Means White Sox have until tomorrow to trade him or pull back off waivers and keep for rest of season.

Has to be considered a good sign that the info leaked. Seems like if a waiver deal falls through, you never hear about it until after the fact.

Has to be considered a good sign that the info leaked. Seems like if a waiver deal falls through, you never hear about it until after the fact.

The Rangers will face pressure from their fan base if they know they could have had Rios and didn't get him. It's a good bet the "leak" originated from Chicago.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 09:34 PM)
The Rangers will face pressure from their fan base if they know they could have had Rios and didn't get him. It's a good bet the "leak" originated from Chicago.

I respectfully disagree. We're talking about Alex Rios here. I think their fan base, if knowledgeable, knows he is far from a savior or even a great ballplayer. I'd think some of their fan base won't want him at all.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 02:34 PM)
Just remember, the Rangers thought Cruz was going to appeal his suspension, so it's very possible they claimed Rios and are now much more desperate to get him than they were at the deadline (Sorry if someone posted this already)

This was my thought, and its no doubt our best-case scenario.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 03:38 PM)
I respectfully disagree. We're talking about Alex Rios here. I think their fan base, if knowledgeable, knows he is far from a savior or even a great ballplayer. I'd think some of their fan base won't want him at all.

Look at this lineup: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article....articleid=19815

They could REALLY use a decent right-handed bat in the OF. All of their OFs are left-handed except Jeff Baker. The DH is Profar, lol. I think it's a minority of fans that would rather their team avoid specific players because of personal feelings than to gain a substantially better chance to win at a reasonable price.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 04:38 PM)

But those same fans will also want to make the playoffs this year and they know that their power hitting RF has been knocked out effectively for the season.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 03:38 PM)

If you are to keep personal feelings aside, I think you know deep down that Rios is a decent ball player. He can be much more, but he's never going to be much worse than average.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 04:38 PM)

LMAO

You are so ignorant.

Rios could help the Rangers BIG TIME.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 04:47 PM)
A fanbase irate Alex Rios wasn't acquired?

If I were a Rangers fan and they not only let themselves get fooled into Cruz being suspended with no replacement but also topped it off by passing an opportunity to put someone decent in his place, yeah I'd be irate.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 03:34 PM)

Ya, looking through that lineup, they could really use him

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 04:51 PM)
Danny Knobler Verified account

‏@DannyKnoblerCBS

Rangers and White Sox "weren't even close" on Rios deal before the 31st, they told people with other teams.

If the Rangers thought Cruz was going to appeal and play for the rest of the season this wouldn't be surprising at all.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 04:52 PM)
If the Rangers thought Cruz was going to appeal and play for the rest of the season this wouldn't be surprising at all.

Yup everything I heard leading up is that he would appeal, but honestly he made the right choice with him being a FA in the off season.

Just get what you can for Rios & bring up Avisail to add a little bit of excitement.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 03:52 PM)

My thoughts too. Hopefully the tables have turned enough to give something else up. At the end of the day, if the Rangers don't win the WS and it's because their offense stays cold, it'll be a shame they didn't give up some decent prospect for Rios. Solves their problem there next year, too. The fit just makes a ton of sense.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 03:50 PM)
LMAO

You are so ignorant.

Rios could help the Rangers BIG TIME.

No need for the name-calling.

And even though I've found many of greg's arguments lacking before, in this case, he is not far off base. While it is true Rios could help them, greg said their fan base may not be that excited to get him or think he is a savior. And he is right.