Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 07:53 PM)
Who would the Sox be able to sign for next year at 12.5 million that would produce like Rios? Don't give him away to save money.

Yep.. no need to make a deal if the prospect isn't right. At this point I would much rather bank on those supplemental draft picks. I am sure he will at least be a type B free agent.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Who would the Sox be able to sign for next year at 12.5 million that would produce like Rios? Don't give him away to save money.

Why does it matter? You're the 2nd worst team in baseball that has already subtracted pieces. Meaning, without major changes, you'll likely be as bad or worse next season. Why pay 12.5 million to a guy who will give you 80% effort on a 90 loss team, when you can see what you have elsewhere.

The sox need this money, need this time, and need this "rebuild".

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 07:56 PM)
Yep.. no need to make a deal if the prospect isn't right. At this point I would much rather bank on those supplemental draft picks. I am sure he will at least be a type B free agent.

The Sox do draft well. We should definitely opt for the picks instead of the payroll flexibility.

QUOTE (HeGone7 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 08:00 PM)
The Sox do draft well. We should definitely opt for the picks instead of the payroll flexibility.

Payroll flexibility doesnt necessarily matter next offseason. They will not be buyers in the free agent market until after the 2014 season. Get ready for another atrocious year in 2014.

Production for 2014 shouldn't be a priority in decisions made right now. Production in 2015 and 2016 is what they should be looking at.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 08:05 PM)
Payroll flexibility doesnt necessarily matter next offseason. They will not be buyers in the free agent market until after the 2014 season. Get ready for another atrocious year in 2014.

Financial flexibility always matters. If your players aren't good enough, you better have money. More money, more options.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 07:56 PM)

When, in 2015 draft class? Geez, I don't buy green bananas.

Martinez for the Cardinals might be hurt now. Was pulled from the game and seemed to be injured.

His touted fastball was sorely lacking....was mostly around 93-94-95 MPH, not the reported high 90's.

St. Louis is in lots of trouble right now with multiple pitching problems....might be more open to addressing the SS situation now with the Pirates starting to take off away from them. 4 game lead if the Dodgers go on to win the game behind Ryu tonight.

Talking about bringing up Wacha for a start now as well.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 08:15 PM)
Still might get done if the Sox get Sardinas if the Rangers envision a DP combo of Profar and Odor for the near future . Sardinas and an A pitcher Sox eat $3 mill.

Can they eat salary on waiver claims (basically, changing the structure of the deal significantly) or do they have to stick with Rios' entire salary/obligations going to the claiming team?

Or that's only if the White Sox decide just to get rid of him...like the Blue Jays did?

The Cardinals might be willing to part with David Freese if he continues to play so lackadaisically...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 06:44 PM)
This ^

I don't think anyone's disputing that. But sometimes the store runs out of what you need and you're tempted to buy something else instead...I know that is my concern.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 5 AM)
Still might get done if the Sox get Sardinas if the Rangers envision a DP combo of Profar and Odor for the near future . Sardinas and an A pitcher Sox eat $3 mill.

What's the love for him anyways? I know he's young, but looking at his numbers he hasn't been able to hit. I would like to stay away from defensive minded middle infielders. The Rangers community site ranks him number 7 on their list. Eh. Gallo is second and Nick Williams is third.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 09:27 PM)
I don't think anyone's disputing that. But sometimes the store runs out of what you need and you're tempted to buy something else instead...I know that is my concern.

If it's money you have to spend, it's a little different. What's the best way for the Sox to spend the difference between budgeted payroll in 2014 and current 2014l payroll obligations.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 05:53 PM)
Hahn recently said it could be used in the international market, we'll need it for next year's draft top five pick, it could be used to facilitate trades, all of which are better uses than veteran free agents on the downsides of their careers.

The difference b/w where we drafted this year and say number two is seven millionish dollars.

QUOTE (HeGone7 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 07:55 PM)
I don't totally understand this accepted gaurantee that Rios will net a bigger haul in the offseason. Maybe I am wrong on that but he'll have lost his 2013 control to the team, there will be an infinite amount of more options out there, and teams will have seen what contending teams were unwilling to pay for him. Why would offseason teams give up more for him? I just dont understand that.

If you can get something of value now, great. If they're willing to take the contract, give him up.

One team bidding versus all thirty bing able to bid.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 09:20 PM)
Can they eat salary on waiver claims (basically, changing the structure of the deal significantly) or do they have to stick with Rios' entire salary/obligations going to the claiming team?

Or that's only if the White Sox decide just to get rid of him...like the Blue Jays did?

The Cardinals might be willing to part with David Freese if he continues to play so lackadaisically...

They can agree to a trade which can include whatever financial terms. If they let the claim go, they get nothing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 10:30 PM)
One team bidding versus all thirty bing able to bid.

The Sox just went through that, and all 29 teams didn't want him. Waiting until the offseason, when he has even less control, does not mean teams are going to give more for him. If the Sox are asking for the moon for him while he had a year and a half and teams are not offering them top prospects, what do you think the Sox are going to do come the offseason? Lower their asking price, and teams will lowball the Sox even more.

I've never been a big fan of Rios over the past few years because of his overall attitude on the field, but if the Sox can rid themselves of someone who gets by doing the bare minimum, they should do it. This reminds me of the whole Gavin Floyd trade talks that happened last year. And look at how well hanging onto him worked out for the Sox.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 07:35 PM)
What's the love for him anyways? I know he's young, but looking at his numbers he hasn't been able to hit. I would like to stay away from defensive minded middle infielders. The Rangers community site ranks him number 7 on their list. Eh. Gallo is second and Nick Williams is third.

I've always been a pitching , defense and speed proponent though I certainly know the importance of the long ball in the Cell. I want a slick SS and speedy CF to help the pitching staff as much as possible. Sardinas main problem has been staying healthy. This is a decnt fantasy write up of him . I think its accurate. http://www.faketeams.com/2013/7/1/4484048/...-versus-reality