Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 01:15 PM)
If true, Hahn has turned two of our three best best players on the opening day roster into Garcia and cash. Talk about rookie abuse, lol.

If Rios put that 850 OPS up again, i'd be more bitter about this. Lets face it, he's a guy that alternates between being awesome and having a noodle for a bat. He just is...that.

He makes sense for a team chasing a playoff spot with a need. He doesnt make sense as a guy who you give up great prospects for.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 01:15 PM)
I now expect the White Sox to make a decent size free agent signing (or to add payroll somehow). They have now officially cleared a heck of a lot of payroll to the point that they could make one or two big signings and still be well under last years payroll.

Now imagine if some team got desperate enough to trade for Dunn.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 07:19 PM)
Dan Hayes and others still seem to think that the PTBNL will be Garcia. Is there any chance that the PTBNL has anything to do with the pool of players the Cubs are looking at? Could that be why we have to wait?

It's most likely because the player is on the 40 man and hasn't cleared waivers.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 02:19 PM)
Dan Hayes and others still seem to think that the PTBNL will be Garcia. Is there any chance that the PTBNL has anything to do with the pool of players the Cubs are looking at? Could that be why we have to wait?

If it is Garcia, it actually does sorta make sense, he's a guy who could fit into the Sox right away, he's on Texas's roster right now so he can't be traded, he does have some tools, he's very young, and hopefully he helps out next year's bench a ton. I could live with that.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 11:19 AM)

If the player in the deal is on the 40 man roster, then the way you get around them clearing waivers is by using them as a PTBNL. In which case, we won't find out (officially) who it is until after the season. Another option would be the Sox have been given a list of players and they can do a little more scouting to finalize.

If Heyman is right and the Sox sent $1M to the Rangers, then at a minimum the Sox paid $1M for a prospect (since the alternative would have just been telling the Rangers you could have Rios) so I wouldn't think we'd be getting just some bum. Whomever we are getting has a perceived value from the White Sox of $1M (if Heyman's report is true).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 11:21 AM)
If it is Garcia, it actually does sorta make sense, he's a guy who could fit into the Sox right away, he's on Texas's roster right now so he can't be traded, he does have some tools, he's very young, and hopefully he helps out next year's bench a ton. I could live with that.

Not sure about his arm but supposedly he can play shortstop as well. Supposed to be a slick fielder with great speed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 07:21 PM)

And like someone said a few minutes ago, we found someone to take Rios and his entire contract minus $1 million. It's definitely a salary dump of a player that the organization seems to hate now.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 01:10 PM)
Trade could still be for Leury Garcia, he's on the 40 man roster. That would blow.

It has to be him. He just can't be anounced since he has to pass through waivers. Heyman let the cat out of the bag.

I think there is more to this than just a money dump. I think the Sox are looking for a change in the club house. By that, I mean they will go young with players that display a better attitude and are more focused. I expect Dunn, De Aza, and Ramirez gone before next April.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 11:21 AM)
Now imagine if some team got desperate enough to trade for Dunn.

Hopefully the Sox have a nice 1-3 year plan to add back some of that payroll. They clearly won't do it all at once cause that would be crazy. Plus, we've seen from the Angels and some other teams that going crazy doesn't always equate itself to wins. Too bad this flexibility didn't come a year ago...maybe we'd have gone crazy and lucked into Puig haha.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 06:23 PM)
It has to be him. He just can't be anounced since he has to pass through waivers. Heyman let the cat out of the bag.

I think there is more to this than just a money dump. I think the Sox are looking for a change in the club house. By that, I mean they will go young with players that display a better attitude and are more focused. I expect Dunn, De Aza, and Ramirez gone before next April.

110 losses, here we come! :)

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 11:23 AM)
And like someone said a few minutes ago, we found someone to take Rios and his entire contract minus $1 million. It's definitely a salary dump of a player that the organization seems to hate now.

The $1M going to the Rangers tells me it isn't quite a salary dump. I wouldn't pay $1M for some run of the mil prospect. Only way I'm doing that is if I get someone with some upside. Garcia very well could fit that bill depending on what the White Sox think his upside is (maybe they think his bat would grow and that he can play at short...I don't know).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 02:23 PM)
Not sure about his arm but supposedly he can play shortstop as well. Supposed to be a slick fielder with great speed.

If the long term plan is not to keep Alexei...he might well have a role then next year fitting in alongside Semien.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 07:25 PM)
The $1M going to the Rangers tells me it isn't quite a salary dump. I wouldn't pay $1M for some run of the mil prospect. Only way I'm doing that is if I get someone with some upside. Garcia very well could fit that bill depending on what the White Sox think his upside is (maybe they think his bat would grow and that he can play at short...I don't know).

At this point, it seems 90% likely it's Garcia.

All I know is Dan Hayes doesn't know jack...and yet he was like the first to report this. My guess is he was given the info first by the Org...and he had a name of a guy he would have never come up with otherwise...So I have a pretty good feeling it is going to end up being Garcia.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 07:26 PM)
If the long term plan is not to keep Alexei...he might well have a role then next year fitting in alongside Semien.

In my opinion, the sooner people get comfortable with the fact the Sox won't compete next year, the easier it is to take these recent moves. Despite what Hahn has said, this is a pure rebuild.

One other thing...I think you can find a bat in a corner spot easier then we think (potentially). Biggest problem with the Sox offense is a major lack of OBP (plus average). Rios is solid with the average but his OBP will never ever be anything special and spending $14M on that is tough given how s***ty our teams ability to get on base.

Note: Sadly, Rios is one of the better ones we have but If he had a bad attitude (I think he gets hated on more then he deserves) then I can live with this. Like Balta, the one thing that gives me confidence of the future is our cost controller rotation (sans the expensive Danks).

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 02:27 PM)
In my opinion, the sooner people get comfortable with the fact the Sox won't compete next year, the easier it is to take these recent moves. Despite what Hahn has said, this is a pure rebuild.

This was the move that makes it a complete rebuild. This is the first move made that actually hurts the Sox significantly next year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 07:27 PM)

Well at least we have restocked our farm system!!!!!! sigh.