Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This fake interest by Baltimore is a direct response to the fake availability of Samardzija. Come on Red Sox! If you want Jake F****** Peavy, you are going to give up a lot. I love watching Jake pitch. The guy is a bulldog! He gets so fired up, sometimes he just can't help himself and he says GOSH BLESSIT!!, GOSH BLESSIT!!! Pay BIG Boston, or let me continue to watch the Jakemeister in a good guy uniform. Stand firm Mr. Hahn!

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 04:46 AM)
Kirkjan was just on Baseball Tonight and he said he thinks Peavy goes and Rios stays because he's not a big enough difference maker to championship ball clubs.

Rios isn't a "difference maker"-few, if any, bats available this deadline are. I agree Rios alone won't win a team a championship. But he can be a better option for some teams than what they currently have.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 06:36 AM)
This fake interest by Baltimore is a direct response to the fake availability of Samardzija.

B ... I ... N ... G ... O.

You nailed it, man. Mis, dis, and non information.

Who are the contenders? And the pretenders?

With Peavy in particular, but also with Rios and Ramirez, need to increase the pressure, stoke that sense of impending doom, and basically encourage someone, anyone, to play the part of KW and pony-up ... whatever it takes!

Edited by CyAcosta41

QUOTE (beck72 @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 07:41 AM)
Rios isn't a "difference maker"-few, if any, bats available this deadline are. I agree Rios alone won't win a team a championship. But he can be a better option for some teams than what they currently have.

I do agree with this. No way Rangers get Stanton, Edcarncion, or bautista. What other bats are "better" than Rios? Maybe Pence but I don't think so. Rangers are blowing smoke.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 06:39 AM)
I do agree with this. No way Rangers get Stanton, Edcarncion, or bautista. What other bats are "better" than Rios? Maybe Pence but I don't think so. Rangers are blowing smoke.

The question is how much of a bigger impact can Rios make than what they have already? And is that worth what the Sox are asking for?

Not likely.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 09:35 AM)
The question is how much of a bigger impact can Rios make than what they have already? And is that worth what the Sox are asking for?

Not likely.

You have a point, but the Rangers have shown they want to win now. And I.believe Rios is better than Murphy and the rookie they have going out there every day.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 11:34 AM)
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/a-ro...rough-2014.html

Biosgenisis suspensions can come this week. This can be huge for the Sox, Rios and Rangers.

Cruz will likely be suspended for the rest of the year. They have to do something if they want to play in October.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 11:46 AM)
Cruz is an idiot if he appeals

Rangers also have to think of this too, Cruz can appeal and if he doesn't get suspended until 2014 then they have no RF. With Pence, he's a free agent at the end of the year and there would be no guarantee he would resign if Texas were to acquire him.

With Rios, you can add him to the line up this year with Berkman being out for the year, and have your RF in 2014 with Cruz suspended. Rios seems like a logical fit.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 10:54 AM)
Depending on what MLB comes down with, these appeals might have a chance at some success, at least getting the suspensions cut down.

I assume that if Rios is suspended it would be 50 games plus the postseason. Is that everyone's else assumption?

QUOTE (mike65 @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 12:57 PM)
I assume that if Rios is suspended it would be 50 games plus the postseason. Is that everyone's else assumption?

Actually it sounds like that is not the assumption, people seem to be guessing that MLB is going to start with at least 100 games, which they apparently have the right to do. They may attempt to do a lifetime ban for ARoid for all we know.

The only reason Braun would willingly take 65 is that MLB was going to come down with something harder than 50 on him.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 09:50 AM)
Rangers also have to think of this too, Cruz can appeal and if he doesn't get suspended until 2014 then they have no RF. With Pence, he's a free agent at the end of the year and there would be no guarantee he would resign if Texas were to acquire him.

With Rios, you can add him to the line up this year with Berkman being out for the year, and have your RF in 2014 with Cruz suspended. Rios seems like a logical fit.

Cruz is a free agent in 2014.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 11:54 AM)
Depending on what MLB comes down with, these appeals might have a chance at some success, at least getting the suspensions cut down.

I disagree. The appeals process will be very difficult, as none of these suspensions are based on actual tests. As a result, baseball can actually suspend the players for however long they choose, as the CBA stipulated suspensions (50, 100, life), are for failed drug tests only. If the players are actually dumb enough to appeal MLB's decisions, and if MLB thinks their evidence is iron clad, Selig could increase the suspensions to whatever he feels like (see Arod's potential suspension).

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 01:25 PM)
I disagree. The appeals process will be very difficult, as none of these suspensions are based on actual tests. As a result, baseball can actually suspend the players for however long they choose, as the CBA stipulated suspensions (50, 100, life), are for failed drug tests only. If the players are actually dumb enough to appeal MLB's decisions, and if MLB thinks their evidence is iron clad, Selig could increase the suspensions to whatever he feels like (see Arod's potential suspension).

Baseball can respond to a player using their right to appeal by increasing a suspension? That doesn't sound right.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 12:38 PM)
Baseball can respond to a player using their right to appeal by increasing a suspension? That doesn't sound right.

There is nothing in the CBA that says otherwise.

Edit: I finally see what you're saying now, Balta. I'm being dense...

I think MLB has been in touch with all of the affected players and has laid out some evidence implicating them. MLB has most likely offered to suspend the players for the rest of the season. If the players do appeal, I think MLB will increase the suspension for all parties involved. After that, I would think they can appeal (to whom I have no idea).

THAT'S what I was trying to say. :)

Edited by Cerbaho-WG