Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 06:13 PM)
He is a strict platoon player. When is the last time a platoon player was traded for a top 50 guy?

As I said, I don't know if that is even a deal, but it makes a lot more sense than for Rios which everyone thought was happening a week or so ago. I beleive the Pirates really want a LH bat.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 06:16 PM)
As I said, I don't know if that is even a deal, but it makes a lot more sense than for Rios which everyone thought was happening a week or so ago. I beleive the Pirates really want a LH bat.

We have a better one who is also under team control and the same age

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 06:16 PM)
Schierholtz career WAR - 6.5

career high prior to this season - 1.3

this season - 2.1

Rios career WAR - 25.4

career high - 5.5

this season - 2.0

seasons over 2.1 - 6 (seventh in progress)

They're not even in the same ballpark

The past doesn't matter. It is this season that matters. Shierholtz is hitting better and makes 1/6th the paycheck.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 06:18 PM)
The past doesn't matter. It is this season that matters. Shierholtz is hitting better and makes 1/6th the paycheck.

When one projects how the rest of the season will go, we wonder..."what is the likelihood this player continues this performance?" It would seem to be a very good bet that Rios outplays Schierholtz for the rest of the season. Schierholtz is in for a big raise next year in arbitration anyway. We'll kick in some cash

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 06:21 PM)
BTW, why does everyone keep saying he's a top 50 prospect? He was ranked #61 by Baseball America, whom I tend to use, and #54 by MLB.com.

MLB.com is useless for those that don't know

I would surmise that Hanson is no longer a top 100 guy at this point, but I'm not sure.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 04:25 PM)
What I have no idea about is whether it would be commonplace to pull a traded minor leaguer in the middle of a game

Yes it is commonplace, in addition, the fact that the announcer took time to tweet about it is telling.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 07:25 PM)
What I have no idea about is whether it would be commonplace to pull a traded minor leaguer in the middle of a game

I'm pretty sure it happens every single time a trade is agreed upon while a player is playing. They don't want to risk injuring the commodity they just traded.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 06:20 PM)
When one projects how the rest of the season will go, we wonder..."what is the likelihood this player continues this performance?" It would seem to be a very good bet that Rios outplays Schierholtz for the rest of the season. Schierholtz is in for a big raise next year in arbitration anyway. We'll kick in some cash

There is a reason they scout these gys instead of just looking at their baseball cards.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2013 -> 06:27 PM)
There is a reason they scout these gys instead of just looking at their baseball cards.

Any objective analysis of Nate Schierholtz would scream "fluke year" and "not good at baseball"

Anyhow, this rumor is a dud. Hanson just took a long poop