Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

I don't see Choo coming to the Sox. He is going to whichever team losses out on Ellsbury I feel like and will get quite a hefty contract. I was thinking that Pence might be a realistic option, but it is looking more and more like San Francisco is going to pull out all the stops to resign him (unless that is all BS they made up to try and raise his trade value).

If Rios is traded, I think the future RF will be someone acquired via trade this offseason.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 12:37 PM)
I think the opposite. If the Sox move Peavy, it gives them more flexibility to send additional cash to move Rios (IMO) and potentially the same to move Dunn for a potentially attractive piece. I think if Peavy and Rios go today, we are in a good position to potentially move Alexei, Dunn, and obviously Lindstrom tomorrow! IF we hit on the Peavy and Rios trades, I'll be a happy camper.

I really hope we see a Peavy and Ramirez trade to STL for Matt Adams today. If that happens, or any trade for any MLB ready 1B, I think you see Dunn and $$$ moved tomorrow to either Baltimore or Texas (if Texas gets Michael Young, they won't want Dunn). If no Matt Adams type player is acquired, I don't see Dunn being shipped out and Andy Wilkins called up to play the remainder of the year.

I don't see Konerko getting shipped out basically because he has never given any indication he wants to leave the Sox, and Konerko is one of the guys on the team who casual fans still like and helps sell tickets in the final two months of a meaningless season.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 01:07 PM)
Peavy and Alexei for Adams, Wong and a lower level guy. I like Piscotty. Maybe a one of the million pitchers the Cardinals have.

I like their pitching prospects more then Adams, IMO. We do have Dunn for another year and finding power at 1B isn't the toughest thing to do. Starting pitching is always the toughest thing to develop/acquire.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 01:07 PM)
Peavy and Alexei for Adams, Wong and a lower level guy. I like Piscotty. Maybe a one of the million pitchers the Cardinals have.

There will be at least one pitcher coming to the Sox in any deal involving Peavy.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 01:11 PM)
There will be at least one pitcher coming to the Sox in any deal involving Peavy.

Exactly. I am as excited about Erik Johnson as anyone, but beyond him, we have no pitching prospects who project as a frontline starter.

I don't know why people think finding good, cost controlled, middle of the order bats is easy. Look at the White Sox for example. Haven't been able to develop a middle of the order bat since Magglio and Lee, and have been paying a lot of money to Dunn and Rios over the past 3-4 years with mixed results.

If Matt Adams is available in a trade, it is imperative the White Sox get him. He could wind up being a bust, but his body of work shows there is a good chance he can be at least a good number 3 hitter for several years.

Edited by Paulstar

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 01:14 PM)
I don't know why people think finding good, cost controlled, middle of the order bats is easy. Look at the White Sox for example. Haven't been able to develop a middle of the order bat since Magglio and Lee, and have been paying a lot of money to Dunn and Rios over the past 2 and 3 years with mixed results.

If Matt Adams is available in a trade, it is imperative the White Sox get him. He could wind up being a bust, but his body of work shows there is a good chance he can be at least a good number 3 hitter for several years.

I don't think anyone said it was easy. Look at the Sox without PK. This is why it will take a player the quality of Peavy to get him.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 11:57 AM)
I really hope we see a Peavy and Ramirez trade to STL for Matt Adams today. If that happens, or any trade for any MLB ready 1B, I think you see Dunn and $$ moved tomorrow to either Baltimore or Texas (if Texas gets Michael Young, they won't want Dunn). If no Matt Adams type player is acquired, I don't see Dunn being shipped out and Andy Wilkins called up to play the remainder of the year.

I don't see Konerko getting shipped out basically because he has never given any indication he wants to leave the Sox, and Konerko is one of the guys on the team who casual fans still like and helps sell tickets in the final two months of a meaningless season.

Really? Who are you going to bench if both Dunn and Konerko are still around?

Certainly not Paulie in the last two months of his MLB career, and benching Dunn doesn't help any, either.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 01:16 PM)
I don't think anyone said it was easy. Look at the Sox without PK. This is why it will take a player the quality of Peavy to get him.

I agree with you, just not sold on Adams being a consistent middle of the order bat. His stats have been pretty average since his insane April. Pitching depth is always needed/valuable. More of a priority in my opinion.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 12:16 PM)

In this day and age, it should read, it's easy to find players who can hit around 700-750 OPS-wise who profile as 6th and 7th place hitters, but it's almost impossible to find legit 3-4-5 hitters unless you want someone who strikes out 25-40% of the time or you're willing to overpay even for those 1B/DH/LF types if they are somewhat proven commodities like a Kendrys Morales or Adam Lind (just throwing out a couple of names for argument's sake).

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 01:12 PM)
Exactly. I am as excited about Erik Johnson as anyone, but beyond him, we have no pitching prospects who project as a frontline starter.

Remember when Hector Santiago and Jose Quintana were projected as frontline starters? Yeah me neither.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 01:17 PM)
I look at Adams as more of a great number 5 hitter but other than that great post and I completely agree.

I'm not high on Adams personally. I rather have Wong as far as position players and want Martinez more than anyone. I just get a feeling a rotation of Sale and Martinez as your 1 & 2 for years to come. That's a start of something special. I like the idea of Wong at 2B and Beckham going back to his natural SS position. Would love to get a nice young 3B in a trade some how

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 12:22 PM)
I agree with you, just not sold on Adams being a consistent middle of the order bat. His stats have been pretty average since his insane April. Pitching depth is always needed/valuable. More of a priority in my opinion.

Successful platoon players in the NL Central are a bit scary.

Keep reminding myself Liriano is the ace of the 2nd best team in baseball and he could barely hold his spot in our rotation down the stretch in 2012.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 12:24 PM)
I'm not high on Adams personally. I rather have Wong as far as position players and want Martinez more than anyone. I just get a feeling a rotation of Sale and Martinez as your 1 & 2 for years to come. That's a start of something special. I like the idea of Wong at 2B and Beckham going back to his natural SS position. Would love to get a nice young 3B in a trade some how

Why would the Cardinals be willing to give up Martinez?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 01:19 PM)
Really? Who are you going to bench if both Dunn and Konerko are still around?

Certainly not Paulie in the last two months of his MLB career, and benching Dunn doesn't help any, either.

I guess the wording might be a little confusing. I meant to say I don't see a scenario where Dunn is traded if Andy Wilkins is the only option to replace him.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 12:25 PM)
Man oh man why is going on, the S**t that could go down the next two days makes me giddy. But a lot of this coming out has to be bs. But makes me excited all the same.

LOL at Dayton Moore.

Get rid of the 2nd best young RF in the game in Myers, end up stuck with Francouer and then have to take on someone else's headcase in Rios. Not that Alex is in Jose Guillen's neighborhood, but he's not the first person I would want on my team, either.

You just have a feeling, in the end, the Sox would be better off without him, clubhouse/chemistry-wise. Same with Adam Dunn, who made a really lackadaisical play on the error by Conor which probably never would have happened if he (Dunn) were playing on a 1st place team...sadly.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 12:28 PM)
They still aren't

Then neither is Peavy.

Because I would take his potential, growing stamina/endurance and multiple out pitch arsenal over Jake Peavy any day of the week, if it was finding a starting pitcher to build the rotation around (after Sale) in 2015/16.

Put Quintana and Santiago in the NL West or NL Central and they'd nearly be Cy Young candidates.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 30, 2013 -> 01:30 PM)
Quintana is definitely a 2-3 and Santiago's ceiling is up in the air. Lefties that throw 95 with his stuff do not grow on trees. If Hector learns to get lefties out he can really be a stud. Maybe not a #1 but definitely a #2.

I think our definitions of #1's and #2's are different. I would venture a guess that just about any scout you ask would consider Q is a solid #3 and Santiago an innings-eater back of the rotation type of guy. Considering how we acquired those guys, that is unbelievably good