Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 10:35 AM)
Premature evaluation...?

He at least deserves the next 2 months of observation before drawing ANY conclusions, and, even then...remember how we all felt based on 2012 that Tyler would be at least average/above-average defensively?

Well, that didn't work out quite so well.

Hell, a catcher probably ought to take years developing on defense. Unless they're great throwers, very few of them come up as polished products on defense.

Playing these guys and letting them struggle is part of what people want when they demand young talent to rebuild. Get used ot it.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:35 AM)
Premature evaluation...?

He at least deserves the next 2 months of observation before drawing ANY conclusions, and, even then...remember how we all felt based on 2012 that Tyler would be at least average/above-average defensively?

Well, that didn't work out quite so well.

Well it is premature. And we have to see if he can hit. But if he can, catchers have moved to other positions fairly often.

And Flowers should be able to catch balls better than he has - he drank the same cool aid I guess that the rest of these defenders did.

But in the meantime, we need catcher and CF who can at least field their position next year. We can be respectable even with spotty hitting. Our defense and bullpen turned us into terrible this year.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:26 AM)
They have a ton of money coming off the books next year, more than enough to absorb Rios if that's what they want to do.

How does a guy like Soriano count against the luxury tax for them? Is it the amount total or the amount they're paying?

They have to be under $189 million.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 10:40 AM)
Well it is premature. And we have to see if he can hit. But if he can, catcher have moved to other positions fairly often.

And Flowers should be able to catch balls better than he has - he drank the same cool aid I guess that the rest of these defenders did.

If we're talking about moving any of them I might be willing to give Flowers some at bats at 1b before Phegley.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:11 AM)
Exactly... hopefully Hahn is willing to offer the cash to bring in a guy like Hansen or Polanco. If i'm Pittsburgh and the White Sox offered $10 million and Alex Rios for Alen Hansen and a lower prospect, i'm saying yes. The city of Pittsburgh is desperate for a winner and RF is there blackhole. All they would have to pay is $7 million between the rest of this season AND all of next season.

They might be able to pull Alex Dickerson from Pirates system. No way they are getting Hanson or Polanco or someone like that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 10:41 AM)
They have to be under $189 million.

Counting the money coming back from the Cubs and Jeter's option they're just over $120 million right now.

Figure $25 million for Cano and maybe $20 million for a new closer and starter, they still are only at $160. They have room if that's how they want to use it.

But if they have to count the $13 million the Cubs are paying for Soriano, that makes it a lot closer.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:41 PM)
They might be able to pull Alex Dickerson from Pirates system. No way they are getting Hanson or Polanco or someone like that.

If you can't get a top 5 prospect in the Pitt system, then you don't basically hand them Rios and pay nearly all of his contract, IMO

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:45 PM)
Heard a Pirates beat reporting on the radio today who said the Pirates are not looking at Rios anymore and are focused on Schierholtz.

Rangers are the best bet for Rios it seems. With that said, I'll be surprised if he's moved today yet expect a meltdown on here if he isn't.

Latest from MLBtR:

By Tim Dierkes [July 31 at 9:35am CST]

White Sox right fielder Alex Rios is guaranteed almost $18MM through next year.  The latest trade rumors:

The White Sox would like to move Rios today, tweets ESPN's Jayson Stark, but it doesn't look promising.  The Rangers and Pirates have no more than lukewarm interest, he adds.

Rios was watched by a Pirates scout last night, notes Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune.  The White Sox have scouted the Pirates' farm system thoroughly, he says.  Rios left the game in the eighth inning after fouling a pitch off his foot, but the bruise appears minor.

Nothing new, get a feeling we will have to watch Rios dog it the rest of the year, barring some miracle in August on a waiver claim.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:43 AM)
I sure as s*** would hope that was the plan.

That better be the plan. That is the only way this team gets top prospects in return. TheScore says the Sox and Pittsburgh are still discussing trade scenarios involving Rios. Hope something happens today! :pray

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:47 AM)
Latest from MLBtR:

By Tim Dierkes [July 31 at 9:35am CST]

White Sox right fielder Alex Rios is guaranteed almost $18MM through next year.  The latest trade rumors:

The White Sox would like to move Rios today, tweets ESPN's Jayson Stark, but it doesn't look promising.  The Rangers and Pirates have no more than lukewarm interest, he adds.

Rios was watched by a Pirates scout last night, notes Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune.  The White Sox have scouted the Pirates' farm system thoroughly, he says.  Rios left the game in the eighth inning after fouling a pitch off his foot, but the bruise appears minor.

Nothing new, get a feeling we will have to watch Rios dog it the rest of the year, barring some miracle in August on a waiver claim.

Not unless management agrees to pay a good portion of his salary. However, if the demand for Rios is low- that is a terrible sign for us.

What the latest on Cruz/Rangers/PED's stuff?

Obviously the Peralta thing came home to roost with that particular move (Tigers/Red Sox).

They really can't seriously think Tabata can hold up in a pennant race...can they? Or Presley?

Rios and Pence are supposed to be the two best OF bats on the market. However, one fears GM's will now turn and say "well, we know you're desperate to dump Rios in order to play Garcia in RF so go ahead Hahn....convince yourself that Viciedo can play 1B and that you want to head into 2014 with Alex Rios as your #3 hitter again."

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:48 AM)
Rios could be dumped through a waiver deal. But that's all it would be.

How sad would that be? The Blue Jays dump him on us for nothing. The White Sox could potentially do the same. If I'm Pittsburgh, I am not doing that. That is wayyy too much money for their them to take on. If they want him at a much lower cost, they will make a deal with the Sox this afternoon.

I'm calling it now, if the Sox don't trade him today, he will be with us the rest of the year and perhaps maybe even next year as well :( This can get messy as he will block any chance of Garcia being out there.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:47 AM)

Rios takes so much heat for dogging it when so many MLB players fail to run things out or fail to run hard.

It's the single most infuriating thing about baseball

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:55 PM)
How sad would that be? The Blue Jays dump him on us for nothing. The White Sox could potentially do the same. If I'm Pittsburgh, I am not doing that. That is wayyy too much money for their them to take on. If they want him at a much lower cost, they will make a deal with the Sox this afternoon.

I'm calling it now, if the Sox don't trade him today, he will be with us the rest of the year and perhaps maybe even next year as well :( This can get messy as he will block any chance of Garcia being out there.

Or maybe the Sox want to give Garcia a shot in CF, move ADA to LF and Viciedo will get some practice at 1B and split time with Dunn/PK?

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:55 AM)

We could pick some money up and take back a C prospect just to get rid of him.

I would think we could get a B now, if we'd pick some money up and if, obviously, someone wanted Rios.

Of course we could have done better yesterday if we'd been more flexible with the money. Hopefully the reason we weren't is so that we could be with Rios and Ramirez, but that's a hope, with nothing to base it on.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:57 AM)
Or maybe the Sox want to give Garcia a shot in CF, move ADA to LF and Viciedo will get some practice at 1B and split time with Dunn/PK?

There's no way in hell Garcia should be getting more than token innings in CF

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:52 AM)
What the latest on Cruz/Rangers/PED's stuff?

Obviously the Peralta thing came home to roost with that particular move (Tigers/Red Sox).

They really can't seriously think Tabata can hold up in a pennant race...can they? Or Presley?

Rios and Pence are supposed to be the two best OF bats on the market. However, one fears GM's will now turn and say "well, we know you're desperate to dump Rios in order to play Garcia in RF so go ahead Hahn....convince yourself that Viciedo can play 1B and that you want to head into 2014 with Alex Rios as your #3 hitter again."

Cruz is getting 50 games as well this week