Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

If you are willing to keep him only to deal him at the next deadline, you are going to spend quite a significant chunk of money and tie-up a roster spot which could be filled by Garcia or Thompson (Trayce is raw but I'd think in a rebuilding year the plan would be for him to be on the big squad starting as early as next season). Seems to me in that case, you might be behooved to kick some salary to the team acquiring Rios to speed the process up (and ensure you get some prospects back now...who can help kick start the rebuilding process a little sooner).

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)
I don't think it would be dumb at all. If some team wants to take on his 12.5 mil, the Sox can lose games with or without him.

Keep him, be a better team, and if you don't become a better team, you'll eventually get players out of trading him. Hold on to these guys until you can get the young players you seek out of them

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 08:51 PM)
If you are willing to keep him only to deal him at the next deadline, you are going to spend quite a significant chunk of money and tie-up a roster spot which could be filled by Garcia or Thompson (Trayce is raw but I'd think in a rebuilding year the plan would be for him to be on the big squad starting as early as next season). Seems to me in that case, you might be behooved to kick some salary to the team acquiring Rios to speed the process up (and ensure you get some prospects back now...who can help kick start the rebuilding process a little sooner).

There will be an open spot in LF most likely after this year with Viciedo going to DH or 1B

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 1m

Executive with another team described the Rangers as “active” in these final moments before deadline. Stay tuned, folks.

SWEET MOTHER OF GOD..no it's not for Rios.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)
I don't think it would be dumb at all. If some team wants to take on his 12.5 mil, the Sox can lose games with or without him.

Without getting talent back to save money for a good player. Yeah that doesnt sound smart at all and probably wont happen for that reason.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:50 PM)
This is dreadfully painful...

And I actually enjoy Rios...and Alexei...but I think I am ready to turn the page on this entire group.

My one hope is that these same guys had infinitely better levels of on the field focus and intelligence last season. Whatever it was that changed for this roster this year...that change can go back.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 07:52 PM)
My one hope is that these same guys had infinitely better levels of on the field focus and intelligence last season. Whatever it was that changed for this roster this year...that change can go back.

If Konerko retires, who would be next in line to be captain of the Sox?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)

The Sox have eaten some money recently with a couple players. If the reports are accurate they won't eat any money for Rios, it would indicate to me they aren't being offered any worthwhile prospect or prospects at all in order to do so.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 02:32 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 2m

All quiet on #whitesox front with 30 minutes to deadline.

Wow this blows! I am so disappointed. The only thing I have had to look forward to with this team is change and new faces. Now it is looking like it will be the same old stuff. Time for football. Unbelievable.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 12:53 PM)
God I hope not

I don't know if Vicedo's bat profiles enough at this point to stick in one of those positions. The good news is he has improved significantly year over year against right handed pitching and I tend to think his performance against lefties is a little fluky. Ultimately we've seen him take quite a few steps forward and that is a positive sign. We know the tools are there and this is just his 2nd full year. It would seem to be that he is potentially in line for a big step forward in 2014.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 02:53 PM)
If Konerko retires, who would be next in line to be captain of the Sox?

I think they will be captain-free. I don't think they have anyone right now who would be an obvious candidate, and if they picked someone, it could be a burden.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 02:54 PM)
Wow this blows! I am so disappointed. The only thing I have had to look forward to with this team is change and new faces. Now it is looking like it will be the same old stuff. Time for football. Unbelievable.

Well the important thing is that we make the right moves. It's not about what satiates us. If Rios this time next year is worth more than he is now, then this is a good thing.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 02:55 PM)
I don't know if Vicedo's bat profiles enough at this point to stick in one of those positions. The good news is he has improved significantly year over year against right handed pitching and I tend to think his performance against lefties is a little fluky. Ultimately we've seen him take quite a few steps forward and that is a positive sign. We know the tools are there and this is just his 2nd full year. It would seem to be that he is potentially in line for a big step forward in 2014.

I need him to hit better to move him off LF. He loses so much value if he moves out of the OF right now, with the questions about his bat. I too am very encouraged by the adjustments he seems to be making.