Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 12:53 PM)
The Sox have eaten some money recently with a couple players. If the reports are accurate they won't eat any money for Rios, it would indicate to me they aren't being offered any worthwhile prospect or prospects at all in order to do so.

In which case I have zero problem holding onto him. At some point a team will be in need of a RF (either in the off-season or at the next deadline) and at that point, with less cash owed, this team should potentially be able to get a good asset for him. The downside is we know Rios can be streaky and if he didn't show, you'd then be stuck eating all 18M for a relatively unproductive player (probably part of why teams are unwilling to take on his contract). Still, I'd like the Sox to pair down the payroll and free up cash to add assets.

Despite these few trades, the system is still pretty barren and we are going to have a tough time rebuilding if the team doesn't have ample cash to use to add talent (this includes veteran FA's).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 02:57 PM)
In which case I have zero problem holding onto him. At some point a team will be in need of a RF (either in the off-season or at the next deadline) and at that point, with less cash owed, this team should potentially be able to get a good asset for him. The downside is we know Rios can be streaky and if he didn't show, you'd then be stuck eating all 18M for a relatively unproductive player (probably part of why teams are unwilling to take on his contract). Still, I'd like the Sox to pair down the payroll and free up cash to add assets.

Despite these few trades, the system is still pretty barren and we are going to have a tough time rebuilding if the team doesn't have ample cash to use to add talent (this includes veteran FA's).

We're going to have a buttload of money for next year

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 12:58 PM)
We're going to have a buttload of money for next year

I still see a lot of what is saved not being reinvested back in the club. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see the team adding another 20-30M in payroll this off-season. I see them maybe adding 10M in payroll which isn't all that significant. IF they unloaded Rios and Ramirez, then I could see the club dropping 20-25M in the off-season (potentially). However, I could see the team target some young players who will be due bigger contracts sooner and land those players and then extend them.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
I still see a lot of what is saved not being reinvested back in the club. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see the team adding another 20-30M in payroll this off-season. I see them maybe adding 10M in payroll which isn't all that significant. IF they unloaded Rios and Ramirez, then I could see the club dropping 20-25M in the off-season (potentially). However, I could see the team target some young players who will be due bigger contracts sooner and land those players and then extend them.

Money will not be reinvested in 2014 I agree. Next season may be a year of treading water till 2015 then open the wallet again.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)

We'll have a very low payroll if we go into next season as we are now. If we trade Rios/Alexei, really low. We haven't been a team to sit on cash before. I don't think we'll go for broke, but I'd be surprised if we don't plan to reinvest a fair chunk of change

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:00 PM)

I'm with you on this, they're generally never players for big FAs and this year's FA class is particularly weak. Plus the team needs more than just a few FAs to be competitive, they need to be rebuilt completely. I see them just getting cheaper and keeping the difference.