Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 02:59 PM)
I do not like Rick Hahn.

It's Hahn's fault that he is saddled with subpar talent? He's supposed to make other teams for some reason beg for this level of talent? He wasnt the driving force between Rios and Alexei making what they make here.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:02 PM)
This is the reverse of sensible logic. If you think this team is bad then why are other teams supposed to be paying up big for our players? It cant be both.

So by your logic, the Sox are good because Chris Sale is good or Chris Sale is bad because the Sox are bad? Lol

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:02 PM)
I'm with you on this, they're generally never players for big FAs and this year's FA class is particularly weak. Plus the team needs more than just a few FAs to be competitive, they need to be rebuilt completely. I see them just getting cheaper and keeping the difference.

This is silly. We either need several new bats or several players to really increase production, but our pitching WAR this year is third in baseball. The rotation is really good and it looks like we now have more MLB-ready starters than we have rotation spots. No reason to tear down entirely when the pitching is this good. I'm sure we're trying to be ready for a playoff charge in 2015

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:02 PM)
I'm with you on this, they're generally never players for big FAs and this year's FA class is particularly weak. Plus the team needs more than just a few FAs to be competitive, they need to be rebuilt completely. I see them just getting cheaper and keeping the difference.

With the starting rotation they have, small improvements to the lineup could make them contenders.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:04 PM)
This is silly. We either need several new bats or several players to really increase production, but our pitching WAR this year is third in baseball. The rotation is really good and it looks like we now have more MLB-ready starters than we have rotation spots. No reason to tear down entirely when the team is this good. I'm sure we're trying to be ready for a playoff charge in 2015

Great post Jake...It almost sounds like nobody has been listening to Rick Hahn or refusing to believe him. Pretty clear he likes this rotation and wants to compete ASAP.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:05 PM)
I look for Rios to be a problem for this team attitude wise, I really wanted him gone.

He seems to have become a symbol for what has been wrong with our team this year. I didn't want to dump him for nothing, but I wouldn't have missed him if we traded him. Hope he sets the world on fire for us and makes us unexpectedly good next season

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:04 PM)
So by your logic, the Sox are good because Chris Sale is good or Chris Sale is bad because the Sox are bad? Lol

Sale is the guy you should think would be traded easily, were we to want it. yes. You apparently are shocked people didnt want Rios or Alexei (I guess). That's the part I need explained.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 04:07 PM)
He seems to have become a symbol for what has been wrong with our team this year. I didn't want to dump him for nothing, but I wouldn't have missed him if we traded him. Hope he sets the world on fire for us and makes us unexpectedly good next season

I'd say he's the symbol of this team in the eyes of a certain group of fans, not everyone.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:02 PM)
This is the reverse of sensible logic. If you think this team is bad then why are other teams supposed to be paying up big for our players? It cant be both.

Because our lineup is filled with the same kind of hitters, and although they may blow with us on a different team in a different lineup their talent may actually produce what it's capable of. As an example look at how bad the Red Sox were last year with arguably the best lineup in baseball. Now that Gonzalez is in LA he is playing better. He was right by saying this is a dead ass team who half asses it on a daily basis. The amount of errors alone is all the prove you need the team lacks focus. Personally I think this sends a bad message to the fans who have watched what I call Cubs basbeball all season, that it is okay for players on the Whitesox to play as they have. If for anything else changes should have been made to send a message to the clubhouse that you need to shape up of we'll ship you out.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 02:53 PM)
If Konerko retires, who would be next in line to be captain of the Sox?

Ventura. I just do not see the need for a player captain. The manager is in charge and captain of the ship.

Now, I do like to see players call each other out and set examples. I love to hear stories about Carl Everett and A.J. calling someone out when they did something stupid. It can grow old after a long period of time (A.J.), but works over a short period of time. Who is currently calling the players out for all their mental mistakes? I am a huge Konerko fan, but that is the one knock I have on him, if he is our "Captain". It does not seem like he will call people out or be "that guy" in the clubhouse. He leads by example, which is great, but does not always get the best responses.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:07 PM)
Sale is the guy you should think would be traded easily, were we to want it. yes. You apparently are shocked people didnt want Rios or Alexei (I guess). That's the part I need explained.

I think they are better players than this board or this fanbase give them credit for. Not sure why teams dont think they would be valuable to have in a playoff run.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 08:10 PM)
Pretty s*** deadline to be honest. Meh return for Peavy. No money kicked in at all and neither Rios or Alexei moved.

I'm fine with the Peavy trade, but a few weeks ago, we were all excited to have the best starter, reliever and outfielder on the market. Only ending up with Garcia, 3 lower level guys and future considerations is not what any of us had in mind.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:10 PM)
Pretty s*** deadline to be honest. Meh return for Peavy. No money kicked in at all and neither Rios or Alexei moved.

Leaguewide though there just wasnt that much interesting stuff out there and not a high demand. The prospect haul overpay days have really ceased for the most part