Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:10 PM)
Pretty s*** good deadline to be honest. Meh Good return for Peavy. No money kicked in at all so we have saved 20 million dollars and neither Rios or Alexei moved yet.
Edited by Jake

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:11 PM)
I'm fine with the Peavy trade, but a few weeks ago, we were all excited to have the best starter, reliever and outfielder on the market. Only ending up with Garcia, 3 lower level guys and future considerations is not what any of us had in mind.

No but the returns were also pretty unrealistic that we were thinking of

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:11 PM)
I think they are better players than this board or this fanbase give them credit for. Not sure why teams dont think they would be valuable to have in a playoff run.

Rios is fine, but depending on the year, his bat is either near All-Star or a total noodle. That sort of thing will inspire more confidence in buyers when they're stuck with just .5 to 1 yr of paying for it.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

What would you all have wanted more - because these where our options...

1.) Rios + cash for nothing.

2.) Keep Rios, hope to trade him in a waiver deal, this offseason, or sometime next year.

I'd been told a few days prior to the deadline that we would have to "give away" Rios.

It's sad... but true.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)
The Rangers being crazy in what they gave up for Garza didn't help with regards to expectations

Yep and they completely screwed themselves if they dont make the playoffs

I think we'll find the market to be far more hospitable in the offseason.

I assume we won't see much of Avisail this season, though, which is sort of bummer but probably a blessing in disguise.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)
Rios is fine, but depending on the year, his bat is either near All-Star or a total noodle. That sort of thing will inspire more confidence in buyers when they're stuck with just .5 to 1 yr of paying for it.

Agreed. I'm fine not moving him, I've maintained that all along, he has been one of the few bright spots on offense this season and he atleast gives them a chance at something next year if his bat decides to show up.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:16 PM)
really sucks when a 3-way just fails to materialize despite expectations

If it's anything like my experience, there's always only one party that ever believed it might happen

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:16 PM)
Damn, I HATE it when 3-ways don't make it all the way to the end!!

The only thing worse than that is actually having a 3-way - and end up watching the other two go at it for an hour while you stand in the corner trying to butt in... :angry: