Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:42 PM)
I dont know I think a C is a fair grade if you're grading the deadline alone. The Peavy deal certainly didn't wow anyone but it was still decent to good. Nothing else of note. I'd give the Red Sox an A+, the Cubs a B, the Tigers a D+, the Pirates a D, and the Rangers a F.

PS: david.schoenfield

Fans of every team think their prospects are better than any other team's. Except the White Sox.

Lol so true.

I think we did a good job. I think we "won" the Peavy deal in that we got an elite prospect, ate no money, and in general struck while the iron was hot - it also opened up a spot for Rienzo/Johnson down the stretch in the rotation.

Matt Thornton for Jacobs - winner (though I'm sure BoSox are happy to have Thornton right now). Jacobs is a nice prospect who has a real shot of at least getting a cup of coffee in the MLB. Could do substantially more than that with his talent level.

Jesse Crain for ??? - we'll see, but Hahn did a great job of finding a way to extract as much value from that bad situation as possible.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am cool with Rios staying. I am not cool with Rios, Ramirez, Dunn, and Lindstrom staying. I wanted different baseball players on my beloved Sox. Two of those four needed to go.

I am cool with all of them still being here now if no good offers were made for them. Saving money this year doesn't do that much good anyway.

I will be upset if at least one of Rios, Ramirez, and Dunn isn't gone by opening day next year, either through an August wavier deal or an off-season trade. Then it reaches the point that paying those three inhibits getting other pieces for the future.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:43 PM)
Seriously? An A+ for Boston? I get the others, I get a positive grade for the Red Sox, but a perfect 1

Not necessarily perfect but close. Perfect if Peavy avoids injury. They sold high on a pretty bad baseball player. It was the the equivalent for them to signing Jake Peavy on a friendly contract in the middle of the season to add to the pennant run. The only thing they risked is cash, which they should have plenty of.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:44 PM)
I think we did a good job. I think we "won" the Peavy deal in that we got an elite prospect, ate no money, and in general struck while the iron was hot - it also opened up a spot for Rienzo/Johnson down the stretch in the rotation.

Matt Thornton for Jacobs - winner (though I'm sure BoSox are happy to have Thornton right now). Jacobs is a nice prospect who has a real shot of at least getting a cup of coffee in the MLB. Could do substantially more than that with his talent level.

Jesse Crain for ??? - we'll see, but Hahn did a great job of finding a way to extract as much value from that bad situation as possible.

The White Sox certainly did not get an elite prospect back. They got a 50 to 100 prospect back. He's no where close to being elite.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:47 PM)
The White Sox certainly did not get an elite prospect back. They got a 50 to 100 prospect back. He's no where close to being elite.

I suppose we're quibbling on what "elite" means. We got a top of the line, highly talented prospect that is MLB ready.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:44 PM)

Not eating money for better prospects, assuming it was possible, in the Peavy deal was a mistake, imo.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 02:41 PM)
Indeed. Very good post.

When I was in college I wrote a short story for a humanities class that I guess was so good my professor refused to believe I wrote it. Greg's post was so good, I refuse to believe he wrote it, haha!

Edited by BigEdWalsh

Question for those down on the deal......... if Avisail can handle MLB centerfield, does that completely change your view of this thing? That's a jolt of value even if he just develops into that high average/OK power type that some are fearing for the corner OF spots

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:51 PM)
Question for those down on the deal......... if Avisail can handle MLB centerfield, does that completely change your view of this thing? That's a jolt of value even if he just develops into that high average/OK power type that some are fearing for the corner OF spots

We desperately need a CFer so De Aza can be a very good left fielder. That would be huge.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:47 PM)

If Garcia was eligible to be ranked in the midseason top 50 by BA, where do you think he would have ended up? To me, he's a top 30 prospect.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:57 PM)
If Garcia was eligible to be ranked in the midseason top 50 by BA, where do you think he would have ended up? To me, he's a top 30 prospect.

I agree. Hard to argue against it. 22 years old, wow

I keep saying this, but Granderson being the CF for the Sox next year seems very possible to me.

It would make no sense to have Granderson in CF and De Aza in LF

ADA is a much superior defender

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)
Tell me about him?

Well by that quote I meant picking #2 or #3. I'd obviously rather have Rodon. Gatewood is a 6'5 190 LB HS SS from Clovis HS in California. He is committed to USC. He has big power potential, has been compared to Carlos Correa, and may have to move to 3rd base in the future. I have seen him in home run derby's and bp put on huge power displays.

I'd be fine with many of the college pitchers or HS bats like Gatewood or Alex Jackson. Obviously, these guys have another season to play and the draft is almost a year away. I have attached a scouting report on Gatewood.

http://sbb.scout.com/2/1310090.html

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 09:00 PM)
There would definitely have to be some shuffling for that to happen because we have Rios, De Aza, Garcia and Viciedo for just 3 OF spots.

If the plan is to compete next year, and I'm not sure it is, I'd go with Granderson. Trade Rios or Viciedo for a 3b piece. Sign AJ and a couple relievers. Still have tons of cash to blow on another nice piece. Still not the best team, but something I can see them doing.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 03:53 PM)
We desperately need a CFer so De Aza can be a very good left fielder. That would be huge.

De Aza doesn't have the offense to play left. Yea, he's passable when we rebuild, but when your corners have no power, your deficient.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 31, 2013 -> 04:07 PM)
If the plan is to compete next year, and I'm not sure it is, I'd go with Granderson. Trade Rios or Viciedo for a 3b piece. Sign AJ and a couple relievers. Still have tons of cash to blow on another nice piece. Still not the best team, but something I can see them doing.

I would bet a lot of $$ that AJ will not be back here as long as Robin Ventura is the manager. Pretty sure most people don't want AJ to return. Just give the at-bats to Phegley. Find out what you have.

I keep saying this, but Granderson being the CF for the Sox next year seems very possible to me.

Hitters coming into their prime, please.

Do we really want to sign up another LT deal with one of these guys in their 30s who's had injury issues and who is more likely to decline than to hold serve or improve?

My suggestion would be to move a young pitcher for some young position talent. We can develop pitchers...the organization is woeful at developing hitters.

Hahn did okay I guess. But he just moved our producers, and wasn't able to move the guys who were really eating payroll and needed to be moved.

Edited by GreenSox