Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 08:02 PM)
What does that do for us though? Dunn is our best hitter by far and at the very least will get us a decent piece at next year's deadline if he keeps hitting like he is. Everyone these days can always use power. They won't risk claiming Dunn and Rios at the same time, but we aren't going to salary dump either anyways.

Sox can always threaten it and if I were a team worried, I don't know that I'd be able to be certain that the White Sox wouldn't just let the guys go. I Think Dunn should probably be kept if you don't get anything valuable for him (and not because I think he's good)...however, I do see his value (especially in this steroid free era) and you will at least get a good prospect for him (if he's producing) next July and that is worth at least something. Plus, the Sox have plenty of money. However, I wouldn't blame the Sox to just let him walk. I can't stand Dunn though, however, if you could tell me he'd produce like he has the past 2 months, I'd sign him for more Dunn. If he produced like he did most of the tenure with the White Sox..f*** it...not enough hr's in the world were with how incapable he was with the bat as a whole.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 10:02 PM)
What does that do for us though? Dunn is our best hitter by far and at the very least will get us a decent piece at next year's deadline if he keeps hitting like he is. Everyone these days can always use power. They won't risk claiming Dunn and Rios at the same time, but we aren't going to salary dump either anyways.

People are eager to dump Dunn due to their emotional response to this season. I agree that he will have value next trade deadline. A hitter like him needs some other people in the lineup to not have noodles for bats.....he needs runners on or something behind him in order to amplify his obviously..specific...gifts

what he's giving us now ....yes it's off the pace of his earlier career some, but it's no 2011.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 10:02 PM)

Man.. you know the Sox have reached an all time low when fans consider their DH hitting a whopping .225 the best hitter in the lineup. :(

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 10:35 PM)
Man.. you know the Sox have reached an all time low when fans consider their DH hitting a whopping .225 the best hitter in the lineup. :(

You can throw that .225 out the door right now. The hitter he's been the last 2 months+ you can proudly say that he's our best hitter.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 10:35 PM)

I truly hope that we give Paulie a great send off when he retires. Then in time a statue will be erected in his honor. While Dunn is doing much better and if this was a month ago I would say Dunn might not deserve a statue but maybe a bust.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 04:54 AM)
You can throw that .225 out the door right now. The hitter he's been the last 2 months+ you can proudly say that he's our best hitter.

You are probably right, but if a team claims Dunn, he will go to that team. Sox will rejoice to get out of paying him IMO. The team that claims him better have $$$ cause they are going to get him. My prediction.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 05:47 AM)
I just can't see a scenario where he doesn't retire.

I think he'll sign a two-year deal with another team. Maybe 3 years. If he feels like his back can hold up, how can he resist making another 15 million? I bet he gets 5 mill a year from somebody for 2-3 years. Jeff Francouer has been in the big leagues the past several years for gosh sakes. Even this current Paulie is as good a hitter as a Francouer.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 11:52 PM)
I think he'll sign a two-year deal with another team. Maybe 3 years. If he feels like his back can hold up, how can he resist making another 15 million? I bet he gets 5 mill a year from somebody for 2-3 years. Jeff Francouer has been in the big leagues the past several years for gosh sakes. Even this current Paulie is as good a hitter as a Francouer.

You're crazy for thinking Paulie would get that deal or take it.

It's almost a lock he retires this offseason. Just appreciate him while we can.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 06:16 AM)
You're crazy for thinking Paulie would get that deal or take it.

It's almost a lock he retires this offseason. Just appreciate him while we can.

Why would he quit as his current age? If he feels his back can hold out, he would want that money wouldn't he? He'll be 38 next march 5. He hit .298 a year ago with 26 homers and 76 RBI. This year he's down to .241, 8 and 36 ribbies. but he has struck out 50 times in 333 at bats. I personally feel it'll be a health issue. He knows his body. The reporters have not even addressed him retiring yet, have they? I have a feeling when we see that story, we're going to hear Paulie wants to keep playing. Maybe he'll quit as he turns 38; maybe not.

Until we hear from Paulie speaking to reporters, how can we assume anything? We don't know what Paul is thinking.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 12:50 AM)
Why would he quit as his current age? If he feels his back can hold out, he would want that money wouldn't he? He'll be 38 next march 5. He hit .298 a year ago with 26 homers and 76 RBI. This year he's down to .241, 8 and 36 ribbies. but he has struck out 50 times in 333 at bats. I personally feel it'll be a health issue. He knows his body. The reporters have not even addressed him retiring yet, have they? I have a feeling when we see that story, we're going to hear Paulie wants to keep playing. Maybe he'll quit as he turns 38; maybe not.

Until we hear from Paulie speaking to reporters, how can we assume anything? We don't know what Paul is thinking.

In the past, he has talked about retiring after this deal. How can that speculation not be stronger after this dismal year and all the health issues?

Nobody is giving a 38 year old 1B/DH who put up a .657 OPS in his age 37 season a 2-3 year deal. Best offer he is going to get is a 1-year offer in the $3-5M range with an option year from an AL team that has no other options at 1B/DH and is hoping to catch lightning in a bottle. The question for Paul is whether or not it's worth moving to a new city for that much money when he has his family and house (which I believe I've heard reported as 16,000 square feet) waiting for him in Arizona.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 05:49 AM)
Olney tweeted this morning that Dunn would be the perfect fit for Texas. No rumor, just his thought. It'd be great if Dunn passed through waivers and we could get something for him while also shedding his contract.

Same thing a lot of us here said when Berkman was hurt and threatening to retire and we knew Cruz was likely to be suspended. Peavy Rios and Dunn were all perfect for TX.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 12:50 AM)

Honestly, he's terrible now. He can't hit fastballs anymore and can't field. Konerko has no value. It was a fun ride, but he needs to hang them up. Nobody has hurt this team more than him this year. It's sad, but it's true.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 09:06 AM)
Honestly, he's terrible now. He can't hit fastballs anymore and can't field. Konerko has no value. It was a fun ride, but he needs to hang them up. Nobody has hurt this team more than him this year. It's sad, but it's true.

If Jason Giambi can hang on as a bench player, Konerko could hang on as a bench player if he wants to. I have no idea why he'd want to.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 07:30 AM)
Agreed. Unless they were willing to stand behind him, he really had no reason to not appeal.

Especially considering he can rejoin the team for the Postseason if they make it.

Say they somehow find their way into the playoffs, he comes back, actually performs well...he'll get a pretty good deal and have this all behind him as opposed to going through the appeals process and having this all hanging over his head next year.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 09:34 AM)
Especially considering he can rejoin the team for the Postseason if they make it.

Say they somehow find their way into the playoffs, he comes back, actually performs well...he'll get a pretty good deal and have this all behind him as opposed to going through the appeals process and having this all hanging over his head next year.

I wonder how much Melky Cabrera bombing this year will hurt Nelson Cruz.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 10:32 AM)
For what, Andy Wilkins? If he is willing to take a huge paycut, there is nothing in the system that really stops Konerko from coming back.

Given the choice, yeah, I'd rather play Andy Wilkins at 1b next year rather than Paul Konerko. Either way its setting up the team to not compete, at least Wilkins is a shot in the dark chance of hitting something.