7/2 Games

flavum

8 Barons make all star team, Trayce Thompson is not one of them.

Blanke, Semien, Wilkins, Black, Kussmaul, Snodgress, McCully and Erik Johnson. Johnson and Wilkins, of course, have been promoted and will miss the game.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 07:54 PM)
Rienzo's ERA is 1.81 over his last 7 starts.

IP- 44.2

H- 39

ER- 9

BB- 13

K- 48

Yeah, quietly he's been on a roll lately. It might be time to think about him getting a shot in the bigs sometime this year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 12:24 AM)
A rare 0-7 night, this time for Trayce. He has drastic home/road splits this year.

Weird. I know they supposedly made Birmingham a little more hitter-friendly, but I don't think it's enough to explain that. He must have a horrible prep routine or something. Approaching the size of sample and drastic-ness of difference that means something has to be up.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 11:52 PM)
Weird. I know they supposedly made Birmingham a little more hitter-friendly, but I don't think it's enough to explain that. He must have a horrible prep routine or something. Approaching the size of sample and drastic-ness of difference that means something has to be up.

Probably just pissed he didn't make the All-Star team, lol.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 07:06 AM)
On the plus side, no strikeouts, which have always been the main concern with him.

Could this mean that they are working with him in some way to cut down on the strike outs, but it hasn't translated to more contact yet?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 09:26 AM)
Since this thing's basically over, there's no reason they shouldn't give Rienzo and Simon Castro some spot stats in July/August, and Erik Johnson in September, unless they decide his workload's been increased too much and shut him down.

There's a very good set of reasons why the White Sox shouldn't be mixing in other guys getting starts. They have a number of guys on the big league roster who need innings. Santiago, Quintana, Danks all absolutely need innings. Like him or not, Axelrod could benefit from more MLB level work as well. All of those guys could use additional innings this year to get stretched out and prepared for next year.

Sale, yes we have to be careful with him, I totally agree, but if we want him to turn into a 200 inning+ a year pitcher, he's going to have to pitch some innings too. Don't want to cut him back too much; his arm needs to get used to a good workload.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 07:31 AM)
There's a very good set of reasons why the White Sox shouldn't be mixing in other guys getting starts. They have a number of guys on the big league roster who need innings. Santiago, Quintana, Danks all absolutely need innings. Like him or not, Axelrod could benefit from more MLB level work as well. All of those guys could use additional innings this year to get stretched out and prepared for next year.

Sale, yes we have to be careful with him, I totally agree, but if we want him to turn into a 200 inning+ a year pitcher, he's going to have to pitch some innings too. Don't want to cut him back too much; his arm needs to get used to a good workload.

I was under the assumption we'd be blowing another spot in the rotation by trading Jake Peavy before the deadline.

Maybe Hahn holds onto him and they TRY to market 2014 as a competitive season, we'll see.

And I'm going to have to disagree about needing to see anything more out of Axelrod. We're unlikely to get much of anything in return or trade (kind of like Viciedo at this point), but he might need to be an innings eater next year if Peavy/Santiago/Quintana/Danks are traded and/or Erik Johnson proves not to be ready.

There's always a 25% chance they can trade Danks instead of Peavy, and we should be all for that.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 09:39 AM)
I was under the assumption we'd be blowing another spot in the rotation by trading Jake Peavy before the deadline.

Maybe Hahn holds onto him and they TRY to market 2014 as a competitive season, we'll see.

Great. We have 5 starters right now with Peavy on the DL. We have #6 sitting at Charlotte in Johnson and if there's an opening this year I think he gets first dibs on the grounds he's actually earned it.

So basically, for anyone other than Johnson to get a start this year, 2 starters need to be moved and then there needs to be a reason to give someone else a spot start.

I mean, sure, maybe a double header happens or something like that, but as part of the plan this year that seems unlikely to me.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 08:26 AM)
Since this thing's basically over, there's no reason they shouldn't give Rienzo and Simon Castro some spot stats in July/August, and Erik Johnson in September, unless they decide his workload's been increased too much and shut him down.

Castro has been absolutely brutal as a starting pitcher. He deserves zero spots starts. He's been much better in relief, so I have no problem if they give him a chance to do that.

I could be wrong, but I think that most here are overestimating the amount of activity that the Sox are going to be involved in the next few weeks. Im thinking that the F. O. very much sees this as a bad year and has every intention of contending next year. A rotation of Sale, Danks, Peavy, Quintana, and Santiago is pretty good and if they can get even a mediocre offense they should contend.

Its possible they could really start unloading players, but unless they get a haul for someone, I really don't expect much more than Crain, Thornton and Lindstrom to be gone. Maybe Konerko as a favor if he is willing.

As always JMHO.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 09:04 AM)
I could be wrong, but I think that most here are overestimating the amount of activity that the Sox are going to be involved in the next few weeks. Im thinking that the F. O. very much sees this as a bad year and has every intention of contending next year. A rotation of Sale, Danks, Peavy, Quintana, and Santiago is pretty good and if they can get even a mediocre offense they should contend.

Its possible they could really start unloading players, but unless they get a haul for someone, I really don't expect much more than Crain, Thornton and Lindstrom to be gone. Maybe Konerko as a favor if he is willing.

As always JMHO.

I disagree. I think Hahn knows exactly the battle that he is in for here. He knows that he needs to rebuild it with his type of players. Hahn is a smart guy and also knows about the fickle nature of the White Sox fanbase. Hahn may have the toughest job in baseball right now. If I had to guess I would say the following guys get moved: Rios, Thornton, Crain, Lindstrom, De Aza. Maybe even Alexei.