Possible Alexei Destinations

Jake

We don't have a thread about Alexei and he is most certainly among the more likely to be traded. Let's have a groupthink about where he might fit.

Cardinals' need for a shortstop is getting more and more problematic. Kozma/Descalso is an atrocious combo.

I don't know if the Reds love Zack Cozart at this point.

Dodgers could probably benefit from moving Hanley to 3B and Uribe to the bench. As an added bonus, they don't even know what money means.

Mariners could use an SS, but I have no idea what their strategy is right now. Some seemed to think they were pushing to compete soon, but this year has been a total flop. Someone a little more in the know might be able to shed some light.

Any other ideas? There aren't many good shortstops out there right now and not many with much of a track record. Alexei may not be great, but the dude can throw some leather (even if he's been a bonehead this season, he just makes SO many more plays than the average SS) and you know that you're going to get at least a passable, roughly league average hitter out of him. He has to have some value.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 05:24 PM)
We don't have a thread about Alexei and he is most certainly among the more likely to be traded. Let's have a groupthink about where he might fit.

Cardinals' need for a shortstop is getting more and more problematic. Kozma/Descalso is an atrocious combo.

Dodgers could probably benefit from moving Hanley to 3B and Uribe to the bench. As an added bonus, they don't even know what money means.

Mariners could use an SS, but I have no idea what their strategy is right now. Some seemed to think they were pushing to compete soon, but this year has been a total flop. Someone a little more in the know might be able to shed some light.

Any other ideas? There aren't many good shortstops out there right now and not many with much of a track record. Alexei may not be great, but the dude can throw some leather (even if he's been a bonehead this season, he just makes SO many more plays than the average SS) and you know that you're going to get at least a passable, roughly league average hitter out of him. He has to have some value.

Pittsburgh could be an option as well. I was in Pittsburgh all weekend though and seem to think that Jordy Mercer is just fine. I also mentioned Rios. The radio guys there and their fans would like Rios but were in agreement that they didn't want to give up anything. They made it sound like guys like Alen Hanson and Josh Bell would even be too much.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 04:24 PM)

Reds are 100% behind Cozart, who was one of their top prospects.

Dodgers with Uribe has been playing much better recently (with Hanley and Kemp back, too) but they could definitely use an upgrade....maybe sending us Dee Gordon...Luis Cruz was also DFA'ed for them

Mariners just brought up Miller, there's no way they would be looking at Ramirez

Pirates with Mercer....a little bit like the same situation in RF, where they could definitely use both Ramirez and Rios (for Snider/prospects) but at what cost...Mercer's hit pretty well, too.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/pos.../OPS/order/true

You have to put the Yankees there for Keppinger or Ramirez.

Atlanta has a young player in A. Simmons, they're not going to bench him.

There's no way, despite how bad Andrus has been hitting, they're going to move for Ramirez because of Profar and the fact that Ramirez's offensive upgrade isn't worth the cost because you'll be giving up quite a bit on defense benching Andrus.

So Dodgers, Pirates, Cardinals and Yankees, that's your market.

Edited by caulfield12

I think the Cardinals make the most sense with Furcal out for the season and the Kozma/Descalso platoon is shaky at best. I feel like Alexei, despite his defensive miscues, has increased his value with his work on the base paths. I've been really impressed with the jumps he's been able to make this year in particular and I'm sure other GMs and scouts have noticed as well. I would try to target Matt Adams as the main piece to get in return to be Konerko's heir apparent.

Shortstop is a pretty important position. If we trade Lexi without somebody at least as good as Lexi, wow, we are going to be a really really bad team til that guy we drafted is ready.

I would think we'd have to move Gordo to short cause second basemen are a dime a dozen. Shortstop is pretty important.

I've been in favor of keeping Lexi, Beckham and Viciedo and trading all other position players. Also keep all the pitchers except Crain/Thornton/Peavy.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 08:05 PM)
Shortstop is a pretty important position. If we trade Lexi without somebody at least as good as Lexi, wow, we are going to be a really really bad team til that guy we drafted is ready.

I would think we'd have to move Gordo to short cause second basemen are a dime a dozen. Shortstop is pretty important.

I've been in favor of keeping Lexi, Beckham and Viciedo and trading all other position players. Also keep all the pitchers except Crain/Thornton/Peavy.

Why don't you like Gillaspie? He has more homers than Dayan. He had one robbed right at the top of the fence or he would have 7.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 4, 2013 -> 02:32 AM)
Why don't you like Gillaspie? He has more homers than Dayan. He had one robbed right at the top of the fence or he would have 7.

For some reason, I consider Gillaspie a utility guy, like a little better version of Lillibridge.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 4, 2013 -> 03:26 AM)
For some reason, I consider Gillaspie a utility guy, like a little better version of Lillibridge.

Like a Lillibridge that only plays one position, is left-handed, and can hit

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 06:21 PM)
I think the Cardinals make the most sense with Furcal out for the season and the Kozma/Descalso platoon is shaky at best. I feel like Alexei, despite his defensive miscues, has increased his value with his work on the base paths. I've been really impressed with the jumps he's been able to make this year in particular and I'm sure other GMs and scouts have noticed as well. I would try to target Matt Adams as the main piece to get in return to be Konerko's heir apparent.

the cardinals have like 80 bajillion awesome prospects they can't find room for - let's find a way to snag matt adams. ramirez/peavy/reed for wacha/adams boom

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 02:04 PM)
the cardinals have like 80 bajillion awesome prospects they can't find room for - let's find a way to snag matt adams. ramirez/peavy/reed for wacha/adams boom

It would be nice wouldn't it. Even a guy like Kolten Wong. Wong is knocking on the door but they have Carpenter. Being a Cardinals fan would be awesome man.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 02:18 PM)
It would be nice wouldn't it. Even a guy like Kolten Wong. Wong is knocking on the door but they have Carpenter. Being a Cardinals fan would be awesome man.

I always get s*** from my family for not being a Cardinals fan since I have lived near St. Louis all my life but have always been a White Sox fan

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 02:24 PM)
I always get s*** from my family for not being a Cardinals fan since I have lived near St. Louis all my life but have always been a White Sox fan

My old man is a die hard Cards fan. I was raised to be a Cardinals fan. I defected in the early 90s because I was very young and I couldn't watch Cardinals games and I certainly couldn't be a Cubs fan.

And Frank Thomas and Robin Ventura.

But it does allow me to always follow the Cards and root for them in a secondary manner, but f*** if I actually care. But damn, they are well-run, and hopefully the White Sox can find some way to emulate their entire system.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 02:18 PM)

Pretty sure they plan to move Carpenter to 3rd next year and have Wong play 2nd. Unless Freese saves the World Series again and it would be bad PR to let the hometown hero go.

I can't believe they would be willing to let Freese go. Carpenter also hasn't rated as a good 3B while his UZR at 2B this year has been excellent. I'll settle for Matt Adams though as there is just no place for him on their team without injuries.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 08:30 PM)
My old man is a die hard Cards fan. I was raised to be a Cardinals fan. I defected in the early 90s because I was very young and I couldn't watch Cardinals games and I certainly couldn't be a Cubs fan.

And Frank Thomas and Robin Ventura.

But it does allow me to always follow the Cards and root for them in a secondary manner, but f*** if I actually care. But damn, they are well-run, and hopefully the White Sox can find some way to emulate their entire system.

I'll always root for the Cardinals (unless they're playing the Sox) due to them being in the same division as the Cubs.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 03:36 PM)
Alexei being traded is risky. The Sox don't have another SS, and the good ones aren't cheap financially or what they will cost in terms of talent to acquire.

Holding onto Alexei much longer is equally risky.

I'm not holding my breath about Ramirez being a totally different player again after redesigning spring training for the Sox again...although, in fairness, not resting him until this last has to be at least one of the top 2-3 factors in his defense performance. And he has improved his stolen base numbers/aggressiveness.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 04:41 PM)
Holding onto Alexei much longer is equally risky.

I'm not holding my breath about Ramirez being a totally different player again after redesigning spring training for the Sox again...although, in fairness, not resting him until this last has to be at least one of the top 2-3 factors in his defense performance. And he has improved his stolen base numbers/aggressiveness.

He is very good defensively but the .627 ops doesn't do much for me honestly. If you can get something for Ramirez you do it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 04:38 PM)
I see Alexei as the opposite of Rios. He is probably disinterested, frustrated, and bored from being on a bad team. I'd bet money if he were traded to a contender, he'd be the type to go on a big time run, and you would see he defensive lapses disappear.

Completely agree. Playing for a god-awful team or being on the trade block can affect a player's performance, but smart GMs know being part of a playoff race can revitalize a player and will take that into consideration when making deals.