Possible Alexei Destinations

Jake

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 04:15 PM)
I can't believe they would be willing to let Freese go. Carpenter also hasn't rated as a good 3B while his UZR at 2B this year has been excellent. I'll settle for Matt Adams though as there is just no place for him on their team without injuries.

How much longer can Beltran play? Is Tavares a power hitter? Meaning can they survive with Jon Jay and Tavares in the OF?

If I were the Cards I'd keep Adams and move Craig to the OF when Beltran retires. Holliday-Tavares-Craig with Adams at first looks a lot better than Holliday-Jay-Tavares with Craig at first.

I believe the Cards plan to let Beltran walk and let Oscar Taveras take over in the OF, making a Craig-to-OF move unworkable. Taveras is the number 3 prospect in baseball and after an injury is hitting AAA pitching well. In AA he hit 23 HR with 94 RBI over 124 games. The only wildcard is his defense in center, where he is much improved but reports are mixed as to whether he is an MLB CF'er. They could opt to take Jon Jay out of the lineup, but it's tough to say how likely that is at this point. He's having a down year but has been damn good in the past.

I think the easiest thing for them to do is move Adams as he's never been that highly regarded within their organization. It is a bigger question whether they opt for Freese or Wong going forward IMO

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 04:41 PM)
Holding onto Alexei much longer is equally risky.

I'm not holding my breath about Ramirez being a totally different player again after redesigning spring training for the Sox again...although, in fairness, not resting him until this last has to be at least one of the top 2-3 factors in his defense performance. And he has improved his stolen base numbers/aggressiveness.

I hate this argument so much. It is the epitome of an excuse. He's a professional athlete playing baseball, and it isn't like this summer has been extraordinarily hot or anything. This summer has been extremely mild so far and there has been extra off days due to rain outs (which will start to be made up soon so it will get a little tougher), plus the heat should never be that big of deal for him considering he is Cuban.

You want to give your guys a day off here and there? Sure. But to blame many of his lazy and bone headed errors on the field this year partially on not having any rest is just a cop out. There have been plenty of players before Ramirez who have been able to play everyday and still be there mentally for each innin. The only reasonable explanation for his defense this year has been a lack of focus/lazy and perhaps also a lack of accountability behind the scenes.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 05:11 PM)
I believe the Cards plan to let Beltran walk and let Oscar Taveras take over in the OF, making a Craig-to-OF move unworkable. Taveras is the number 3 prospect in baseball and after an injury is hitting AAA pitching well. In AA he hit 23 HR with 94 RBI over 124 games. The only wildcard is his defense in center, where he is much improved but reports are mixed as to whether he is an MLB CF'er. They could opt to take Jon Jay out of the lineup, but it's tough to say how likely that is at this point. He's having a down year but has been damn good in the past.

I think the easiest thing for them to do is move Adams as he's never been that highly regarded within their organization. It is a bigger question whether they opt for Freese or Wong going forward IMO

It seems to me the Cards really like Craig, and the way he keeps hitting with limited AB's is only making them like him more and more. Plus, he is left handed which doesn't hurt. What I see as more likely is Craig in RF, Taveras in CF (at least for a year or two until he outgrows it), Jay as 4th OF, Adams at 1B, and Wong being kind of the odd man out like Adams is but getting playing time to see if he can be a productive player. Than, in 2015, they will have a good idea of who they want where and will make their moves accordingly. The Cards are good enough right now where they can be patient with this whole process and develop these young studs they got.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 05:46 PM)
It seems to me the Cards really like Craig, and the way he keeps hitting with limited AB's is only making them like him more and more. Plus, he is left handed which doesn't hurt. What I see as more likely is Craig in RF, Taveras in CF (at least for a year or two until he outgrows it), Jay as 4th OF, Adams at 1B, and Wong being kind of the odd man out like Adams is but getting playing time to see if he can be a productive player. Than, in 2015, they will have a good idea of who they want where and will make their moves accordingly. The Cards are good enough right now where they can be patient with this whole process and develop these young studs they got.

Or we could solve all these problems by taking Adams and Wong off of their hands. Alexei and Peavy will do the trick. Ta-da!

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 04:15 PM)
I can't believe they would be willing to let Freese go. Carpenter also hasn't rated as a good 3B while his UZR at 2B this year has been excellent. I'll settle for Matt Adams though as there is just no place for him on their team without injuries.

Prior to this season Carpenter had played 5 games at 2nd base and over 300 at 3rd in the minors. You don't have to believe it, but that is their plan (at the moment).

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 06:27 PM)
Prior to this season Carpenter had played 5 games at 2nd base and over 300 at 3rd in the minors. You don't have to believe it, but that is their plan (at the moment).

I dont know about that. Carpenter was viewed as a very good utility player and place holder for Wong at 2B coming into this year. There are three questions the Cards need to answer regarding this log jam.

1.) Freese is a fan favorite, hometown guy, and a very productive 3B. Is that really something they want to mess with on the field and in the clubhouse?

2.) Is Carpenter having a career year and should he not be expected to continue to put up the numbers he has this year? I'm a big Carpenter fan, but I bet a lot of people weren't expecting a .300 hitter with an OBP around .400.

3.) Is Wong going to be good enough to justify trading Freese/Another Vet this offseason? It is a likely possibility that Wong winds up being a nothing in the majors, and that possibility makes it tough to get rid of a sure thing like Freese (who isn't that old or expensive yet).

Personally, I think during the season the Cards hang on to all of them, with Wong having the greatest odds of being moved. If they fall in love with a vet who they think will help them win another WS (me hoping that is Alexei), maybe, just maybe, they would be willing to trade Wong.

In the offseason, it is definitely between Freese and Wong though. I just think they would prefer to have either a logjam or trade Wong for an impact player than to depart with Freese so soon after he has become probably the most loved player in St. Louis.

I think Wong is the most likely to be the odd man out. I want him, but he's nothing special - he seems very likely to meet his ceiling, but his ceiling isn't super high. He isn't a wizard with the glove, he has very limited power, but is just a consistent contact hitter. They have more talent at those two positions currently.

I know their plan may have been for Carpenter to be their rich man's Jeff Keppinger or whatever you want to call it when the season began, but he has been one of the best rated defenders at 2B in baseball this season and I'm not sure if they're eager to shake up such a nice infield for s***s and giggles. If I were the Cards, I'd want to find a way to turn Wong into a shortstop via trade

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 11:38 PM)
Wow, looking at Kozma, it is surprising he has been as good as he has been in the majors. He was a career .230 hitter in the minors. He must be really good with the glove.

He's the new David Eckstein. TWTW is such nonsense, but then you look at guys like Kozma and wonder how else they can succeed in the majors.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 06:31 AM)
He's the new David Eckstein. TWTW is such nonsense, but then you look at guys like Kozma and wonder how else they can succeed in the majors.

Except David Eckstein was good statistically, unlike Kozma. Kozma has a .4 WAR this year. The best version of Eckstein regularly surpassed 2 WAR and once posted a 4.3 WAR when the Angels won the WS

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 07:55 AM)
Except David Eckstein was good statistically, unlike Kozma. Kozma has a .4 WAR this year. The best version of Eckstein regularly surpassed 2 WAR and once posted a 4.3 WAR when the Angels won the WS

One season with an OPS+ over 100. I stick by my post.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 08:13 AM)
One season with an OPS+ over 100. I stick by my post.

If you're going to go with OPS+, you might as well go all the way. He had 16 WAR over 9 seasons -- basically a league average player. Kozma over 399 PA? 1.8 WAR. That's basically the same thing, except of course, that he hasn't even tallied 600 PA in his career.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 06:54 PM)
Because they're probably showcasing Alexei for a trade right now.

^^

can't rock the boat and make it seem like you want to get rid of anyone, even though you clearly want to. You also wouldn't want to cast any doubt on their playing ability by benching them

Cardinals fan here. I have enjoyed reading this thread and learning of all your insights into a potential Ramirez trade to the Cardinals.

I suspect that the Cardinals have interest in Ramirez but I am unsure if the Cardinals GM (Mozeliak) will pay the pereived price. One question that I have for you is whether the White Sox would have to get a SS in return from any trade of Ramirez? If the answer is yes, then the Cardinals two choices would be Kozma or Jackson (Ryan)/AAA Memphis.

I am not a GM but would this cause Hahn to pull the trigger:

Wong

Kozma or Jackson

one additional prospect (probably on the pitching side)

QUOTE (mike65 @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 09:21 AM)
Cardinals fan here. I have enjoyed reading this thread and learning of all your insights into a potential Ramirez trade to the Cardinals.

I suspect that the Cardinals have interest in Ramirez but I am unsure if the Cardinals GM (Mozeliak) will pay the pereived price. One question that I have for you is whether the White Sox would have to get a SS in return from any trade of Ramirez? If the answer is yes, then the Cardinals two choices would be Kozma or Jackson (Ryan)/AAA Memphis.

Wong

Kozma or Jackson

The Sox would take a SS in return for Alexei if a team had one they were willing to give up, but at this point, no, there's no reason to expect the Sox to demand anyone who can play SS in return for him. The Sox are basically in the middle of a lost season. They'll throw whoever can play SS at SS if they get enough return for him.

QUOTE (mike65 @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 07:21 AM)

Wong

Kozma or Jackson

Just the name RYAN in any post about a future SS is scary, whether it's a first or last name.

The Sox would want nothing to do with Kozma, simply because they have to be looking for players across the board who could put up league average or better OPS numbers.

And that's not Kozma in the AL in a million years.

No doubt, they're not going to want to part with Freese, Adams or even Wong. They'll let Beltran go and stick Tavares or Taveras or whatever his name is out in CF.

I'm not sure the White Sox would want Jay back in return, either, and the Cardinals probably want to keep him, as he's a better fit as a 4th guy on a playoff team than as a starter on a rebuilding team like the White Sox.

QUOTE (mike65 @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 08:21 AM)

Wong

Kozma or Jackson

I would be ecstatic with Wong back for Alexei. That probably means Beckham is shifting to SS then which Im not sure I like, but that would be a solid middle infield to me.

Does Alexei make sense for Detroit for Castellanos?

I say this because as it stands Detroit isn't going to get Castellanos' bat in their line up any time soon as well as a few other reasons: 1.) Peralta is going to get a 50 game suspension soon enough and is a FA after this, there is a dearth of SS in the FA market next season 2.) Miggy and Fielder aren't moving off their current positions for the foreseeable future 3.) the platoon of Dirks and Tuiasosopo is providing adequate defense and offensive production, while Castellanos' defense in the outfield leaves a lot to be desired and Avisail Garcia isn't going to learn anything more at AAA and needs to take his lumps at the major league level.

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 09:42 AM)
Does Alexei make sense for Detroit for Castellanos?

I say this because as it stands Detroit isn't going to get Castellanos' bat in their line up any time soon as well as a few other reasons: 1.) Peralta is going to get a 50 game suspension soon enough and is a FA after this, there is a dearth of SS in the FA market next season 2.) Miggy and Fielder aren't moving off their current positions for the foreseeable future 3.) the platoon of Dirks and Tuiasosopo is providing adequate defense and offensive production, while Castellanos' defense in the outfield leaves a lot to be desired and Avisail Garcia isn't going to learn anything more at AAA and needs to take his lumps at the major league level.

I don't think I've ever disagreed with the logic in one of your posts more.

#1) I don't see Detroit dealing Castellanos in the division, let alone for a singles hitting shortstop.

#2) Fielder and Cabrera have absolutely nothing to do with Castellanos.

#3) Dirks and Tuiasosopo are not something you put in LF for the next 5 years and are happy with it. It will suffice for this year, but an upgrade is always welcome.

#4) Castellanos is 21 and has plenty of time to improve his defense in the outfield.

#5) Avisail Garcia has 69 PAs at AAA.

I really think we can forget the idea of Castellanos joining the White Sox any time soon. If he does, I'd almost certainly be just fine with it, but I don't see it happening. I think they are and have been showcasing Garcia because they don't believe in him long term, but perhaps that's just me.