Let's talk about Andy Wilkins

Jake

If Wilkins plays well for the next two months and there are open spots on the 40 man, I don't know why you wouldn't expect to see Wilkins get a september call up. I highly doubt he ever does anything of significance at the MLB level, but when you're a team looking at a 60 loss season, the odds of someone like Wilkins getting a call up increase dramatically, especially for a team searching for power anywhere available.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 08:44 PM)
If Wilkins plays well for the next two months and there are open spots on the 40 man, I don't know why you wouldn't expect to see Wilkins get a september call up. I highly doubt he ever does anything of significance at the MLB level, but when you're a team looking at a 60 loss season, the odds of someone like Wilkins getting a call up increase dramatically, especially for a team searching for power anywhere available.

^^

He's not on the 40-man roster so that's one hurdle.

Let's also consider the fact that he's not hitting AAA pitching at the moment. Off to a slow start. There have been plenty of guys that hit AA and couldn't even hack it in AAA. Remember David Cook?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 08:04 PM)
He's got 2 positions, 1B and DH.

They're more likely to use Viciedo, Dunn, Keppinger, DeAza, etc., there.

Just don't see it. The odds seem higher that/for 1) Viciedo will move, 2) FA/offseason move, or 3) trade from July or offseason.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see Phegley or Flowers get a look there (1B/DH) to get some extra AB's as well.

A lot depends on if Konerko is traded/retires, of course.

Might be worth noting here, Wilkins is a former 3B, and he did play 5 games there with B-Ham last season. I have no idea how he handled things over there, probably not great or else he'd have played there more often.

I think there is a good chance he puts on a Sox uniform this year, in September. And I think, if he does start to hit AAA pitching the way he hit AA pitching this season, depending on what route the Sox take into 2014... he may actually get a look as the 1B for 2014. Probably not, but, if Konerko retires/leaves, and the Sox see opportunites to better spend FA money at other positions, it is a real possibility.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 08:44 PM)

He has sooo many people in front of him as potential 1B, and that is just assuming the Sox don't acquire someone else.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 09:02 AM)
He has sooo many people in front of him as potential 1B, and that is just assuming the Sox don't acquire someone else.

Where are you getting this? In terms of 1B prospects who are even maybe going to be ready in the next couple years, Wilkins has no one in front of him. Not a soul. No one in the Sox minor league system is going to lap Wilkins for a 1B job in the next 1.5 seasons. If he isn't on the Sox during that time, that means they acquired someone to fill the role, and that is probably what happens.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 09:08 AM)
Where are you getting this? In terms of 1B prospects who are even maybe going to be ready in the next couple years, Wilkins has no one in front of him. Not a soul. No one in the Sox minor league system is going to lap Wilkins for a 1B job in the next 1.5 seasons. If he isn't on the Sox during that time, that means they acquired someone to fill the role, and that is probably what happens.

I'm talking about guys already on the major league roster like Paul Konerko, Adam Dunn, and Dayan Viciedo.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 08:13 AM)
I'm talking about guys already on the major league roster like Paul Konerko, Adam Dunn, and Dayan Viciedo.

The other thing to take into consideration is that Ravelo missed the first 6 weeks of the season...(can't even remember what thread I'm in, lol)...going back and forth between Ravelo and Wilkins.

I'm sure if Phegley gets hot, they're going to give him playing time at DH (and maybe 1B if he can play it) to keep his bat in the line-up, to make sure he doesn't wear down in July/August, and to give Dunn a break against LHPers from time to time.

Assuming he keeps hitting, which we can't.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 10:13 AM)

At this point, there's actually a nonzero chance that all 3 of those guys could be off the Sox roster by the start of next season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 09:19 AM)
At this point, there's actually a nonzero chance that all 3 of those guys could be off the Sox roster by the start of next season.

Heck there is even a small chance that a guy like Tyler Flowers could end up at 1B if he loses at the C spot

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 10:20 AM)
Heck there is even a small chance that a guy like Tyler Flowers could end up at 1B if he loses at the C spot

As long as someone hits well enough to earn the position I'm game. Lack of production from 1b is literally killing the White Sox this year.

My feeling is that the less Dayan hits, the less they will consider a position change. Paulie will be gone at the end of the year and you have to wonder how many "injuries" he'll deal with this season. Then there is Dunn who is equally likely to be gone in just a couple of weeks as he is to stay the duration of his contract. It's hard to tell.

Anyway, Andy's first ~15 games at AAA have been "meh." It did take him a season to adjust to AA, so he may need at least the rest of this season to adjust. Of course, I don't think anybody would foresee him coming up on a full-time basis before September rolls around anyway. Regardless, I don't see any way that they would let him have success in AAA and then never give him a shot with the big club.

If he does get blocked, I have a strong inkling that it won't be Tyler Flowers or Dayan blocking him.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 10:41 AM)
My feeling is that the less Dayan hits, the less they will consider a position change. Paulie will be gone at the end of the year and you have to wonder how many "injuries" he'll deal with this season. Then there is Dunn who is equally likely to be gone in just a couple of weeks as he is to stay the duration of his contract. It's hard to tell.

Anyway, Andy's first ~15 games at AAA have been "meh." It did take him a season to adjust to AA, so he may need at least the rest of this season to adjust. Of course, I don't think anybody would foresee him coming up on a full-time basis before September rolls around anyway. Regardless, I don't see any way that they would let him have success in AAA and then never give him a shot with the big club.

If he does get blocked, I have a strong inkling that it won't be Tyler Flowers or Dayan blocking him.

Exactly, or Keppinger or Morel. Even if Dunn and Konerko are both playing and healthy in September, there is still no reason not to throw Wilkins in there for a couple games here and there late in the season (of course assuming if he plays well enough for the next couple of months at Charlotte to justify an addition to the 40 man and Sept. call up).

The only way that it would make sense if he gets blocked is if the Sox acquire a reclamation project like Smoak or Wallace to play 1B, or acquire a better 1B prospect than him who is also more MLB ready than him (not sure who fits into this picture as it seems right now there are not a whole lot of MLB ready 1B prospects floating around right now).

All of this discussion could be for nothing as well, for all we know he will struggle for the next two months at Charlotte and show that he isn't ready for an opportunity to get some major league PT this year. He is definitely an interesting guy to keep on eye on though.

Edited by Paulstar

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 02:07 PM)
Lawrie could possibly be another option....even though a lot of people around baseball think he's an ass.

Brett Lawrie is a 23 year old 3B in another organization, a recent first round pick and the #40 rated prospect in baseball just two years ago and who is still in the pre-arb years of his contract. He has never played an inning at 1B in either the majors or minors. Why was he brought up again?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 12:55 PM)
Brett Lawrie is a 23 year old 3B in another organization, a recent first round pick and the #40 rated prospect in baseball just two years ago and who is still in the pre-arb years of his contract. He has never played an inning at 1B in either the majors or minors. Why was he brought up again?

Because it's a lot more likely that the White Sox try to find guys like the names mentioned (for 1B/3B) than giving Andy Wilkins a shot...players that are in the doghouse with their teams, which might make them more available than would otherwise be the case.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 01:58 PM)
Because it's a lot more likely that the White Sox try to find guys like the names mentioned (for 1B/3B) than giving Andy Wilkins a shot...players that are in the doghouse with their teams, which might make them more available than would otherwise be the case.

You are far likelier to make headache for headache trades (or whatever you will) in the offseason than you are in the regular season. You also still have to give up value to get them. To get Lawrie, you are likely going to have to give up someone like Hector Santiago still because they certainly aren't going to give him away.

The players with less value you will acquire are those coming up on their arb eligible seasons. If Seattle is going to get rid of Smoak, and you want to assure yourselves of getting him, then you can trade for him then.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 01:58 PM)

Pretty random name to say the least given there were no rumors about Sox and Lawrie so far.

Even in the slightest chance we do acquire Lawrie, his defense is gold glove caliber at third, and his bat profiles more of a 3B than 1B.

I have a feeling the Sox would rather go with a known entity at 1B than take a chance on a guy via trade when they have several young guys like Wilkins and Dayan that might be able to cut it there. I suppose it wouldn't blow my mind, if they are unable to shore things up with outside acquisitions, that they might give PK a one year deal if he wants it. I don't think that's very likely, but they might do that if they don't think they have someone to play there. PK could be a guy that gets valuable at the deadline, at which time you might have a guy like Wilkins or another young player ready to come in and play that spot.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 02:18 PM)
You are far likelier to make headache for headache trades (or whatever you will) in the offseason than you are in the regular season. You also still have to give up value to get them. To get Lawrie, you are likely going to have to give up someone like Hector Santiago still because they certainly aren't going to give him away.

The players with less value you will acquire are those coming up on their arb eligible seasons. If Seattle is going to get rid of Smoak, and you want to assure yourselves of getting him, then you can trade for him then.

I'd do Santiago for Lawrie any day of the week. However, I don't think the Blue Jays would.