7/7 Games

flavum

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 01:21 PM)
NOPE...maybe, just maybe, for the BIRM playoffs at the end of the season and/or AFL.

Yeah, there's no reason to push him another level. He should be starting 2014 in AA regardless so I wouldn't worry about it. It wouldn't be too shocking to see him move up for the playoffs as you said, but with Semien there I'm not even sure that happens. Plus if the Dash win the second half he definitely won't be going anywhere.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 12:37 PM)
Yeah, there's no reason to push him another level. He should be starting 2014 in AA regardless so I wouldn't worry about it. It wouldn't be too shocking to see him move up for the playoffs as you said, but with Semien there I'm not even sure that happens. Plus if the Dash win the second half he definitely won't be going anywhere.

That will be an interesting battle, between those 2 guys, Semien and Johnson. Semien's a very solid all-around player, Johnson the flashy SB numbers and more exciting player, but terribly erratic defense.

Both are ahead of DeMichele for the moment.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 01:43 PM)
Rienzo continuing his hot ways with 3 perfect innings to start today. Only needed 23 pitches to do so.

Coming into today, of his last six starts, five have been quality. Also, 64 Ks in his last 59.2 innings.

His solid run goes further back than that, but yes, he's been good. I'd like to see him in the big in September at least.

Considering the Sox have good, young pieces in the rotation (Sale, Quintana, Santiago) and guys like Johnson and Rienzo doing well in AAA the rotation looks good going forward. Throw in some young arms in the bullpen and prospects like Petricka, Castro and Webb MLB ready or close the bullpen doesn't look bad either.

I hope the Sox make it a rule to only go after hitting in any firesale trades. Now that Phegley is up I'm not sure there's another bat ready for 2014 in the system (Carlos Sanchez?). Trayce Thompson is maybe the closest and I don't see him being up until September 2014 at the very earliest, if he's even going to get there.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 12:48 PM)
His solid run goes further back than that, but yes, he's been good. I'd like to see him in the big in September at least.

Considering the Sox have good, young pieces in the rotation (Sale, Quintana, Santiago) and guys like Johnson and Rienzo doing well in AAA the rotation looks good going forward. Throw in some young arms in the bullpen and prospects like Petricka, Castro and Webb MLB ready or close the bullpen doesn't look bad either.

I hope the Sox make it a rule to only go after hitting in any firesale trades. Now that Phegley is up I'm not sure there's another bat ready for 2014 in the system (Carlos Sanchez?). Trayce Thompson is maybe the closest and I don't see him being up until September 2014 at the very earliest, if he's even going to get there.

Not if he continues around a 600 OPS and slg percentage lower than his OBP.

You could make an argument that Andy Wilkins is closer to being ready to get some at-bats...although I don't think that's a good thing, exactly.

Thompson's a huge slump again and he has a LONG ways to go to find that consistency...the one thing he does do well (right now, besides defense) is drive in runs in so many different ways.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 03:35 PM)
0-4, 3k on the day for Hawkins so far. It's been a while since he homered.

They flat out blew it starting him at W-S at 19.

The Twins just moved Buxton up to high-A. Why? Because he earned it.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 09:39 PM)

The BA top 50 comes out tomorrow. Safe to say Hawkins hasn't moved up into the top 50.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)

That's a fair point, but no one in baseball saw this coming. Everyone was giddy over what he did at the end of last season.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 03:49 PM)
That's a fair point, but no one in baseball saw this coming. Everyone was giddy over what he did at the end of last season.

Including the Sox brass who are supposed to know better.

Buddy Bell was on the Score yesterday. He's still giddy over Jared Mitchell even though everyone knows he's a bust.

Those guys are way too emotional about their favorites. They probably got overly excited about Hawkins' playoff performance last year, and pushed him too hard this year. There was no point in starting him at Winston-Salem.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 03:33 PM)
Jacob May homer

Does Dick Allen have a son we can draft, lol? Probably would be too old.

ODD TIDBIT: Winston-Salem won the 1985 Carolina League Championship but finished 58-81 on the year. Crazy.

Ravelo and Courtney Hawkins had homers on consecutive pitches against Swindell (guess he's related to Greg) in the 5th.

Edited by caulfield12

Hawkins just blasted a 2 run triple off the base of the CF wall.

Good patience, he was down in the count...0-2, and recovered.

Looked like a breaking ball, it just carried and carried, a lot of pop in that bat because he looked a bit off balance.

One thing I don't like is that he has that bat cocked at about a 15-20 degree angle at the pitcher. There's too much loading in his hands...seems to be slowing down his swing a tad.

First Hawkins homer since June 14th.

BTW, Rangel Ravelo is 6th in RBI's in all of the minor leagues since coming off the DL on May 18th.

Edited by caulfield12

Well, we've learned why Trayce plays baseball.

When his father was playing on the TrailBlazers, Trayce watched all of Ken Griffey, Jr's game there in the Pacific NW.

Guess Mychal and Klay were in the Barons' press box and signing autographs right and left.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)

While I agree with what you're saying, I don't think him starting at Winston-Salem is that big of a deal long-term. It's clear by his performance this season he needs to make significant adjustments and if can't make those over two years in high A (assuming he repeats in 2014) he was never going to make the pros anyways. Hopefully the taste of failure for the first time in his sports career will force him to be more open to change, because he has all the tools to be a legit superstar at the major league level.

Salvador Sanchez has just completely imploded.

Breezed through the 8th and now is about to give up his 5th consecutive base-runner.

When he's not walking people and throwing wild pitches, he has a nasty slider and 93-96 MPH fastball.

Barons 24/26 on the season in saves converted (now 24/27), and the two blown saves they won both those games.

Quickly recovered, 2 consecutive K's (he was down 3-0 in the count)....but then gave up a 2 run single on a first pitch FB over the heart of the plate.

5-3 lead for MS, started the 9th with a 3-2 lead.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 7, 2013 -> 05:03 PM)
Well, we've learned why Trayce plays baseball.

When his father was playing on the TrailBlazers, Trayce watched all of Ken Griffey, Jr's game there in the Pacific NW.

Guess Mychal and Klay were in the Barons' press box and signing autographs right and left.

I'm pretty sure all of the brothers played and were very good as well. Trayce was the only one to choose baseball over basketball.