Midseason top 25?

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 04:52 PM)
You make a fair point, but your premise is unfair. You can flip it. Hawkins is 19. Would any of the players you mentioned be fairing any better in the Carolina League at 19? It's hard to imagine so.

Phegley had a bad freshman year of college, so I'll say his 19 year old season in A ball would have been horrible.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 04:03 PM)
Phegley had a bad freshman year of college, so I'll say his 19 year old season in A ball would have been horrible.

It's really apples and oranges.

What would the comp for Hawkins putting up an 800 combined OPS all the way through the Carolina League last year at age 18?

There simply isn't one.

I was all set to post that Hawkins has done much better as of late, how his k rate has come down, and his wOBA and OPS were a lot higher over his last 10. I was all set to say maybe he's starting to get back to the super prospect we were all thinking we had last year. Then I checked the scores for tonight. And then I saw Hawkins going 0 for 4, with 4 k's. 4 strikeouts in a night where the rest of his team had 16 hits no less.

Before we all go off the deep end though, it's important to remember that Hawkins is a year removed from high school, with crazy flashes of brilliance, and crazy inconsistency, as you would expect from someone that age that isn't named Trout or Harper.

Patience, my friends, patience. Courtney Hawkins isn't Trout, Harper, or Griffey Jr. for that matter, but he still has an excellent chance of developing into a phenomenal player after years of polishing in the minors. Here are my thoughts on our prospects not in order, but placed in tiers.

Potential Future Stars:

Courtney Hawkins

Keon Barnum

Tim Anderson

Trayce Thompson

Josh Phegley (Only if he stays a catcher)

Potential Future Average to Above Average MLers:

Andre Rienzo

Erik Johnson

Micah Johnson

Andrew Mitchell

Tyler Danish

Jacob May

Carlos Sanchez

Potential Future Role Players/Back of the Rotation/Middle Relievers:

Joey DeMichele

Myles Jaye

Keenyn Walker

Scott Snodgress

Jake Petricka

Marcus Semien

Daniel Webb

Kyle Hansen

Christopher Beck

Adam Lopez

Complete Wild Cards (Boom or Bust):

Micker Zapata

Luis Castillo

Hanleth Otano

Trey Michalczewski

Edited by QuickJones81

I'd also probably have a final tier of players on the watch list for potential to crash the party, a la Micah Johnson. For that tier I would place guys like:

Adam Engel

Nick Basto

Sammy Ayala

Luis Arteaga

Brandon Brennan

Jason Coats

Roger Ramos

Kevin Vance

Braulio Ortiz

Jose Bautista

Daniel Gonzalez

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 09:58 PM)
I'd also probably have a final tier of players on the watch list for potential to crash the party, a la Micah Johnson. For that tier I would place guys like:

Adam Engel

Nick Basto

Sammy Ayala

Luis Arteaga

Brandon Brennan

Jason Coats

Roger Ramos

Kevin Vance

Braulio Ortiz

Jose Bautista

Daniel Gonzalez

Just curious... what do you know about Luis Arteaga? Hadn't really heard anything about him before.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 12:26 PM)
Just curious... what do you know about Luis Arteaga? Hadn't really heard anything about him before.

Not a lot, all stat based thoughts really for him. I liked him more last year than this year, but he still seems like one to keep an eye on. What I liked specifically in 2012 was a 17 yr old with a good FIP (3.31), average k/9 (6.51), good WHIP (1.18) and above average BB/9 (2.65). BABIP tells you he may have been a bit lucky, but it's not way out of wack at .278. His numbers have regressed a bit in 2013, though with a smaller sample size.

Granted these are DSL numbers, which tend to slant towards pitchers, but he's done it as a young pitcher as opposed to a 20/21 yr old dominating 17 year olds.