7.8 Games

bighurt4life

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Micah is a top 5 prospect in our system. I get that he was old for the SAL, but he also flat-out dominated. Plus he has elite base-stealing ability that he's not going to suddenly lose when he moves up the system. I also think the defensive concerns are likely overblown, probably the victim of poor field condtions and trying to do too much, but I must admit I haven't seen him play.

If he has a strong 2nd half in Winston-Salem, then I don't know how he's not a top 100 prospect in baseball. I just think offensively he's more than exceeded every challenge he's faced and I've yet to see a huge red flag with him that suggests the floor is going to completely fall from under him when he hits AA.

Only way Micah would crack the Top 100 prospect is if he continues to hit like this and gets promoted to AA by the end of the year, or if he flat out dominates AFL. Very rarely would you see a 23 year old player finishing A+ considered a Top 100 player.

On a side note, it's tough to be Courtney Hawkins on some days.

EDIT: Uh oh... Rangel Ravelo 2nd homerun in as many days.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 06:21 PM)
Only way Micah would crack the Top 100 prospect is if he continues to hit like this and gets promoted to AA by the end of the year, or if he flat out dominates AFL. Very rarely would you see a 23 year old player finishing A+ considered a Top 100 player.

he's only 22 which makes him totally age appropriate for the level he's at right now. Wont be 23 til december, considering how he's raking he'll almost definitely be a top 100 next year unless he falls off in the second half. Between the high BA, good XBH numbers and silly SB #'s, you absolutely have a top prospect in the making. He also plays a premium middle infield position

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 08:55 PM)
he's only 22 which makes him totally age appropriate for the level he's at right now. Wont be 23 til december, considering how he's raking he'll almost definitely be a top 100 next year unless he falls off in the second half. Between the high BA, good XBH numbers and silly SB #'s, you absolutely have a top prospect in the making. He also plays a premium middle infield position

This is good since Hawkins likely will not be a top 100 next year.

We'll probably have Johnson in the 70-80 range and Micah in the 90-100 if they keep it up.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 09:07 PM)
Anderson should get a look for top 100. We'll see how he finishes the year

I agree. I think he'll be one of those borderline 100-115 if he continues to play well.

Gasp. We might have close to 3 top-100s :o

QUOTE (staxx @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 09:09 PM)
I agree. I think he'll be one of those borderline 100-115 if he continues to play well.

Lots of season left for that to go away (or improve? maybe? not sure who would be a candidate to work back in with an especially strong second half)

QUOTE (staxx @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 02:09 AM)

It also matters if Erik Johnson gets a lot of innings at the big league level.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 09:11 PM)
Hopefully Hawkins goes to instructional league in the fall, learns some things, and has a better year at Winston-Salem in 2014.

From the sounds of it the big thing he has to learn is going to be learned through ABs. He needs to learn pitch recognition. It doesn't sound like a mechanical problem at all.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 02:17 AM)
From the sounds of it the big thing he has to learn is going to be learned through ABs. He needs to learn pitch recognition. It doesn't sound like a mechanical problem at all.

From the HR videos on milb.com, he has to improve his balance at the plate. Even if he recognizes an offspeed pitch, it seems he's far too out in front of it.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 08:21 PM)

On a side note, it's tough to be Courtney Hawkins on some days.

EDIT: Uh oh... Rangel Ravelo 2nd homerun in as many days.

First off, Micah Johnson is only 22 years old, which is completely age appropriate for A+. If he does well the rest of the way, he'll likely spend most of 2014 in AA as a 23 year old. I think these age concerns are seriously overrated around here, especially now that he has been promoted.

Again, he completely dominated the SAL while demonstrating a well-rounded offensive game. He's off to a strong start at A+ and if he can keep it up, then he would have passed both tests this year with flying colors. We're talking about a guy with elite SB skills, strong OBP ability, and decent power. Guys like that are very rare and will typically make top 100 prospect lists. I don't see why it's so far-fetched.

As fathom alluded to, mechanical faults can make it seem like your pitch recognition is bad when it isn't. There are all kinds of things that can leave a hitter unable to hit more than one speed of pitch

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 09:33 PM)
Looks like Hawkins blocked the sports writer for the Winston-Salem paper because he pointed out he had a golden sombrero. Nice to see Courtney runs to twitter right after the game to see what everyone is saying about him.

How can you tell if somebody has blocked someone else on twitter?

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Jul 8, 2013 -> 08:55 PM)

He will be 23 when the rankings comes out. Those Top 100 rankings usually look heavily age and the league they played in. The only 23 year old in the BA Top 100 list last year that played entire year below AA was Alex Meyer of the Twins, and he was a first round pick in 2011.

I think he's on the bubble right now, but if he makes it to BHam by year end, then he's in.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 9, 2013 -> 02:33 AM)
Looks like Hawkins blocked the sports writer for the Winston-Salem paper because he pointed out he had a golden sombrero. Nice to see Courtney runs to twitter right after the game to see what everyone is saying about him.

Bilek redeemed!