7/10

flavum

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 02:27 PM)
I'd tune into the game just to watch Barry Bonds if he were selected, but I wouldn't vote for him. That's an extremely flawed and weak argument.

It doesn't matter.

No way Selig will have the All-Star Game without Puig there now. I'd be willing to bet a lot of money they find a way, somehow.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 02:44 PM)
I'm starting to hate Puig so much that I will actively avoid the innings he would play in the A-S game

That sounds like the next yahoo contributor network article.

You should just write an article bashing him, the hype, the media and Commissioner's office all campaigning for him actively, Don Mattingly, all the messageboard hooligans like me, it would be funny.

But you have to be really over the top and act almost like you hate him on a visceral level. Like many people feel about Harper.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 02:57 PM)
There's a solid majority of the national baseball media network in his corner though.

This really is a lot like Obama/Hillary, and then the Obama presidential elections. The "media" bias issue. The East and West coast vs. the South/Heartland. The old school traditional values/conservative "silent majority" being for Freeman.

It's fascinating, if you look at the voting trends, even on a county by county basis.

Of course, Pence dominates the northern half of CA. Maybe if he wasn't on the ballot, then Freeman would probably lose, along with the early votes going to Adrian Gonzalez.

They aren't in his corner. They are in their own ratings corner. Big difference.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 03:48 PM)
They aren't in his corner. They are in their own ratings corner. Big difference.

So you would differentiate that from Obama 100%?...they (the so-called traditional as well as blogging/new age media) were all politically liberal and "left leaning," AND it was in their best interest because very few people had "in the middle of the road" thoughts and either loved or hated him, more or less? More page views = more advertising revenue, more revenue=higher profits and higher salaries for media.

Puig is the perfect story in many respects, he represents the American Dream (the new version of it, as well as the anti-immigrant/backlash side of it), he's a minority, that brings a certain degree of controversy with it...he plays for the new Death Star L.A. Empire (since the Yankees are no longer so hate-worthy as 10-15 years ago, with the Red Sox also joining in)...there's always nobody saying they don't have an opinion or don't care. Then you have the Papelbon's and Bochy's and other players representing baseball tradition, that he hasn't earned his stripes yet, that he's taking a spot away from someone more deserving...and yet that wasn't said nearly as much last year when Trout and Harper made it.

I'm exaggerating a bit to make a point, but the Puig argument is pretty polarizing, even for non-Dodgers fans.

Everyone has a pretty strong viewpoint, one way or the other.

It's not like ANYBODY cares who takes the last spot in the AL (the five relievers).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 05:58 PM)
I'm exaggerating a bit to make a point, but the Puig argument is pretty polarizing, even for non-Dodgers fans.

Everyone has a pretty strong viewpoint, one way or the other.

It's not like ANYBODY cares who takes the last spot in the AL (the five relievers).

I wouldn't feel nearly as strongly about him missing if it weren't for this forum.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 04:02 PM)
I wouldn't feel nearly as strongly about him missing if it weren't for this forum.

It's actually amusing, that so many people are actively rooting against him, because of a thread or two on a message board forum, haha.

That's fine, it is making this baseball season easier for me to deal with.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 04:19 PM)
How's this for polarizing - I don't think he should go but I couldn't care less.

The resulting media backlash has already started...articles like this, written solely with a TMZ style to try to tear Puig down. Now Mark McGwire is sort of a modern day King Solomon/peacemaker/baseball historian, lol.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/d...cgwire/2504523/

This is like something out of the National Enquirer or Kardashian/Jersey Shore circus atmosphere.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 05:21 PM)
The resulting media backlash has already started...articles like this, written solely with a TMZ style to try to tear Puig down. Now Mark McGwire is sort of a modern day King Solomon/peacemaker/baseball historian, lol.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/d...cgwire/2504523/

This is like something out of the National Enquirer or Kardashian/Jersey Shore circus atmosphere.

That's how the media has been for a while now. They polarize and pick sides so you can read their articles. Nobody wants to read an article that says "Yasiel Puig? He's a good player, and he's had a big impact, but he hasn't but up long enough and shouldn't but in the all star game, though honestly I wouldn't care if he played either way."

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 04:26 PM)
That's how the media has been for a while now. They polarize and pick sides so you can read their articles. Nobody wants to read an article that says "Yasiel Puig? He's a good player, and he's had a big impact, but he hasn't but up long enough and shouldn't but in the all star game, though honestly I wouldn't care if he played either way."

Chris Frazier · Works at Forever Resorts

Does Jadeveon Clowney look 19..no he doesn't. Puig comes from a well educated family in Cuba. His parents are both engineers. He's 22 and has only been playing professional baseball in America for less than a year. Give the "kid" a break. It breaks his heart when he messes up, whether it be in the field or at the plate. And we call his excitement, joy and passion for the game arrogance. Bryce Harper just last year replied to a reporters question with a smug, "that's a clown questions bro", and we made a t-shirt out of it. And former D-back Justin Upton flipped his bats and walked slowly after homeruns when he first got to the league. Upton has grown up now, and Puig will soon as well. There's a reason he's getting so much attention. He plays the game the right way. HARD. Remember, he's played about 30 games at this level.

Reply · 3 · Like · Follow Post · 2 hours ago

Marwan Razouk · Top Commenter · San Diego, California

Puig is from another country and is barely acclimating to his new surroundings. He's not about fraternizing with the opponent. An opponent that hit him in the face, by the way. After he got hit in the face, he took first base without incident. Does not sound like a punk to me. Oh, and you all wish he was on your team.

Reply · 3 · Like · Follow Post · 4 hours ago

Dan White

Bitter fans that see there lead slipping away to the Dodgers, whom most of them were fans of prior to 1998.

Reply · 2 · Like · Edited · 4 hours ago

Amanda Reeks

The bitterness on my part is true. It's harder to enjoy baseball when some teams have bottomless pits for payroll. The Dodgers payroll is about triple what the Dbacks can spend. I would say that the Dodgers are hardly three times better than the Dbacks even if they eventually overtake them.

Reply · Like · 4 hours ago

Gary Phelps · Top Commenter

{yawn} the day I care what dodger trolls have to say is the day hell freezes over.

Reply · 4 · Like · 4 hours ago

View 8 more

Eric G. Crocker · Death Penalty Lawyer at Phoenix, Arizona

Just another foreigner being overpaid with a team that hasn't been relevant since 1988 in terms of the World Series. Add in the ownership problems, and... there ya have it. A loser on a losing team.

Wait, are those comments from like the bottom of an online newspaper article? I wouldn't wipe my ass with those if they were printed on the last toilet paper on earth.

There are sites like FanGraphs and numerous SBNation blogs that have legitimate comment sections, but the LA Times comments section (or Trib or NY Post or CNN or wherever) are just absolutely the dumbest, stupidest, most hypocritical and psychotic people on the internet.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 02:58 PM)
WTF

Holy f*** this times infinity!

I see a minor league game thread at 3 pages before 7:00pm and think something interesting may have actually happened with one or more of our players, but nope just another thread getting caulfielded with more Puig comments and other random nonsense.

Alright, to get back on track, Semien & Walker with back to back hits to start the game and take an early lead.

As I mentioned in another thread, Semien now has an .800 OPS on the season, which puts him 10th in the Sourthern League. He has 27 XBHs (14 2Bs, 4 3Bs, 9 HRs), 16 SBs (at an 80% clip), and a BB to K ratio of 63:58. His .386 OBP is 3rd overall in the league.

A 22 year old middle infielder playing very well in AA and he doesn't even crack the top 10 in a poor system? I think we all may be sleeping on Semien quite a bit, myself included.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 11, 2013 -> 12:20 AM)
Alright, to get back on track, Semien & Walker with back to back hits to start the game and take an early lead.

As I mentioned in another thread, Semien now has an .800 OPS on the season, which puts him 10th in the Sourthern League. He has 27 XBHs (14 2Bs, 4 3Bs, 9 HRs), 16 SBs (at an 80% clip), and a BB to K ratio of 63:58. His .386 OBP is 3rd overall in the league.

A 22 year old middle infielder playing very well in AA and he doesn't even crack the top 10 in a poor system? I think we all may be sleeping on Semien quite a bit, myself included.

Semien and M. Johnson absolutely should be above Webb, IMO

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 10, 2013 -> 08:07 PM)
I was excited seeing this thread having four pages. Should have known there would have been a couple posts on Semien/Thompson and mostly Caulfield rants about Puig/Freeman equaling Hilary/Obama.

Caulfield is seriously starting to run with his shtick. He never seizes to amaze me.

Your astute minor league knowledge also amazes me.

I've noticed that 90% of your posts are telling us what someone did on a particular night, yet you somehow think I should be precluded from mentioning someone's batting average on a daily basis, for example.

Interesting.

And I would LOVE to see all these supposed PM's supporting your position about Hawkins. Wonder who those came from...lol.

Edited by caulfield12